Second visit - did I just make a big mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExcaliburPrime1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the programs I went to sent a nice message (basically, we liked you and feel you would fit in, probably something that is sent to many people so I'm not overestimating my chances) and said something like: "I would encourage you to come for a second visit so you see what we have to offer if you find it helpful."

I replied thanking them profusely for the e-mail and the offer, but saying that I already highly value the program and would love to work there for a variety of reasons (both quality of the program and location), so I don't feel like I would benefit from a visit since I'm already really impressed with the program.

Was that dumb? I genuinely feel that way, so I didn't see the point in requesting time off to spend another day there, but in retrospect I feel like my response may suggest that I don't want to train at this program, despite the reality that I would very much like to work there.

In case I get another second look e-mail, I'd love to know if what I did was suboptimal (or worse!)

Members don't see this ad.

^what he said. If anything you just saved the program some time at the tail end of this exhausting season.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is absolutely no reason for a second look from the point of view of the program. Declining participation will not hurt you in any way. Ever.

Only go to a second look if you have a pressing reason that can't be handled by email/telephone query. And those are very rare (e.g.: non-availability of a research mentor might be one for research track candidates).

Reactions: 2 users
As a previous chief resident, you didn't "shot yourself in the foot" :)

As long as your e-mail showed that you are very interested in the program and not just a canned reply, the program understands that this is the end of the season and you guys are tight on travel funds. Saying no to a second visit invitation will not hurt your chance.

Reactions: 1 user
That's not true.

Mind elaborating? At least at my program no one would hold not coming to a second look against you. I think few if any of the current residents in my class went to one.

Does your program expect second looks from interested applicants?

Each program is different. I don't you will get a definitive answer on this here

Figure if you shot yourself in the foot with this honest reply, you probably don't want to be there

You're an MDPhD applying in psych... you have the upper hand. Second looks are a waste of time and money unless you really don't think your interview experience gave you a sufficient enough overview of the program. For example, my friend from med school (in the South) was strongly considering a program in NYC and did a second look in January, realized that he hated the winter in the North, and this influenced his rank list.... but he did not do a second look to improve his chances, per se. Also, I'm fairly certain that ACGME dictates that second looks should NOT influence rankings.

Well, that's not the same as a second look neither helping nor hurting someone.

In the context of the OP asking whether he decreased his chances at this program by declining a second look I mean that a second look will "neither hurt nor help you" to be the same as "the program will not hold it against you" and the same as "your position on the rank list will not change."

Your responses are kind of cryptic, though if you're saying applicants will be ranked differently based on attending a second look I think and hope that is unlikely.

In the context of the OP asking whether he decreased his chances at this program by declining a second look I mean that a second look will "neither hurt nor help you" to be the same as "the program will not hold it against you" and the same as "your position on the rank list will not change."

Your responses are kind of cryptic, though if you're saying applicants will be ranked differently based on attending a second look I think and hope that is unlikely.
I think what he means is it could hurt you if you do a second look. especially if you are crazy and decide to stay with a resident during your visit and they to experience your bag of craziness up front. or if it becomes clear you are an entitled and demanding whiner with no regards for other people. it's rare, but sadly for those with less flattering personalities an extra day or two of face time and they unravel and reveal their darker side.