second visits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's it. Thoughts on anything and everything. Does it help? Does it hurt? Should you pack kneepads? (get your mind in the gutter for that one).

Thanks. I have some crap to clean out of my inbox and some interview feedback to post. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight. By the way if people want to talk about any program I've posted or anything else, just PM me your number or ask me to PM you mine.

Members don't see this ad.

That's it. Thoughts on anything and everything. Does it help? Does it hurt? Should you pack kneepads? (get your mind in the gutter for that one).

Thanks. I have some crap to clean out of my inbox and some interview feedback to post. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight. By the way if people want to talk about any program I've posted or anything else, just PM me your number or ask me to PM you mine.

As a PD, I would encourage you to do a second visit only if you need to see a program again to help you figure out where to rank it. Having an applicant come for a second visit does not increase the person's position on my rank list.

Members don't see this ad :)

It helps you make a more informed decision about whether the program is a good fit for you. If you've already convinced yourself that you are ready to beg for a spot, then you've probably already made up your mind, in which case the second-look would likely add very little data to your information set. Probably better not to waste your money unless you had some other reason for wanting to visit the program's city/area again.

At our program, coming for a second visit does not increase your chances of matching. Sure, it shows interest, but 'interest' doesn't really transform a marginal application into a rank-to-match application.

-AT.

Last edited:
What about cases of non-marginal applicants...people who'd be ranked fairly high? (I don't actually know where I stand with this program, just asking a what if?)

What about cases of non-marginal applicants...people who'd be ranked fairly high? (I don't actually know where I stand with this program, just asking a what if?)

Then as psychattending said, it's all for YOUR benefit.
Based on my own experience, I was offered second visits at 2 places, and accepted one--it gave me a chance to see the area again, to visit with some faculty I'd missed on my first interview day, and to chat up a different set of residents. Ultimately it consolidated that program as my #1, and I did match there.

Then as psychattending said, it's all for YOUR benefit.
Based on my own experience, I was offered second visits at 2 places, and accepted one--it gave me a chance to see the area again, to visit with some faculty I'd missed on my first interview day, and to chat up a different set of residents. Ultimately it consolidated that program as my #1, and I did match there.

Normally, do you need to be offered a second visit, or can you just tell a program you'd like to come?

I don't think that you need to be offered one. I would probably demonstrate interest on your part to extend yourself and ask. Good luck!

Normally, do you need to be offered a second visit, or can you just tell a program you'd like to come?

I just contacted the program and told them I was interested in taking a closer look at their program. I went on 3 second looks and all programs were very accommodating. They all set up appointments for me with faculty members and the PD. I also used the time to look more closely at housing and the neighborhoods. The experience helped solidify my rank list. I highly recommend going on a second look unless you know all the program extremely well and have absolutely no doubt how your list should be. Even then, it's not a bad idea...