Secondaries and LoRs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harvey Harvardson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been recently verified and have been receiving my secondary applications since yesterday. My question is how important is it to submit your applications within 1 week? I heard it is best to submit them as soon as possible to show you are committed. The problem is I'm waiting on just one LoR from a physician, and I'm hoping he can submit it within the next week or so. Should I submit my applications and have the LoR pending? Not really sure what I should do and I'm quite worried.

Members don't see this ad.

No need to be worried unless it takes like 1+ month. Just submit everything asap.

You are hurting chances severely if you take a month to submit your secondaries at this point.

I am almost finished with my secondaries (17 total). I got most of them Wednesday and Thursday of last week. Many of the schools with satellite campuses have the same questions and usually go to one address. It is imperative that you try to finish your secondaries as soon as possible but make sure that you write good secondaries, quality>>>>>>>>>speed. It will take you a while to do your first 5 secondaries but after that some of the same questions keep coming up and usually you can finish faster. During, the last two days I did about 3 a day and will edit them tonight and submission tomorrow morning. Here is my strategy for tackling this part of the process:

Start an excel sheet with a column for each school, then a column for supplementary, LORs, Physician Letters, Complete, Interview Invite, Acceptance deadline. (This is a great way to keep track of information.

Make a color code (I use green when I am finished submitting items, red when I haven't even started, and yellow when I am almost finished but still waiting for LORs to be sent).

Back to your question, everything is rolling admissions and the sooner you submit the sooner you get an interview invite but make sure you don't BS your secondaries.

You don't have to wait on anything to submit. Submit your LORs to school even if you haven't submitted secondary yet. Submit your secondaries even if you're LORs haven't been sent yet. They have a file for you and there is no need to do stuff in order, just make sure you do it ASAP. Also, call each school about week later to make sure that they received everything. I made a call to one school, about 10 minutes later I received an email saying you were complete.

Secondaries for these schools take a few minutes with either no essay/or a very easy short essay, do these ones first:
LECOM Erie/Seton Hill,Bradenton
Nova Southeastern

LMUDCOM and Alabama COM have same questions.

Good luck.

You are hurting chances severely if you take a month to submit your secondaries at this point.

It is imperative that you try to finish your secondaries as soon as possible but make sure that you write good secondaries, quality>>>>>>>>>speed.

You don't have to wait on anything to submit. Submit your LORs to school even if you haven't submitted secondary yet. Submit your secondaries even if you're LORs haven't been sent yet. They have a file for you and there is no need to do stuff in order, just make sure you do it ASAP. Also, call each school about week later to make sure that they received everything. I made a call to one school, about 10 minutes later I received an email saying you were complete.

This. If you have something completed, submit it. Look ahead and try and get secondary essays done before you even get them. There's plenty of threads here where people post schools' essays. Also, if it's not an essential letter then don't worry about it. Great letters will absolutely help you, but I don't think I've ever heard of a student being accepted because a letter was so good the school couldn't reject them. If the letter is that important, just call and ask the school to hold your app, but don't put off submitting it just for one letter.