Secondaries before MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noctámbulo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking the new MCAT in (late) June, which means my scores will not be released until the end of July, at the earliest. However, I am planning on submitting my AMCAS application early in June, so it will probably get approved before I receive my MCAT score. I know that most schools don't screen for secondaries, but will they send them out prior to having my MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

No. I don't think your primary app will be considered ready until your MCAT scores are received. Once received, I believe they then send your application to the schools of your choice.

I was in that very same predicament this cycle :)

That is not correct (I know from personal experience). It is possible for schools to send you a secondary before your MCAT is in, however, it won't be complete and will not be looked at until your entire app is complete. In any case, people post the secondaries on here online. You can just prewrite it and submit them the minute you get the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. Some auto send secondaries.

You can always pre write the secondaries while you wait for your score. Most schools won't consider you complete till you scores are in.

That is not correct (I know from personal experience). It is possible for schools to send you a secondary before your MCAT is in, however, it won't be complete and will not be looked at until your entire app is complete. In any case, people post the secondaries on here online. You can just prewrite it and submit them the minute you get the secondary.
Sorry for giving incorrect information, it was not my intention.

Schools that send everyone a secondary will send you a secondary... but your app is worthless without the MCAT.

/and a great majority of schools will send the rejection letter the second the check clears, sadly.