Secondary Application: Using a published paper as reference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChELover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been working on secondary applications, and I got to one of those "what would you do when..." essay prompts. To answer this prompt, I had to look up specific HIPPA rules and some published paper related to them. I actually found an article that serves this purpose very well, so I used it as a reference.

But I am not so sure if I am supposed to do this... 1) does medical school care if I use a published paper or HIPPA as reference? and 2) how should I properly cite it??

Your inputs are much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

IDK what the prompt actually is, but just from personal experience with secondaries, they are probably looking more what YOU would do, not what HIPPA or a published paper says you should do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be aware that if you decide to cite it, it's HIPAA..

I wouldn't bring up HIPAA; there's no need for it in secondaries. But if you are a CHElover, I would bring up your love for Che guevara and how he brought revolution in Cuba. That's something interesting that most med school applicants can't relate to.