Secondary Applications: Talking about Hardships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the Secondary applications ask about hardships you have overcome, or give you space to tell the admissions committees additional info you would like them to know about you. These are difficult topics to address and I would like to hear how other applicants are handling these questions, or how past applicants have in the past.

For instance, I had to take an additional gap year in which I moved home and helped my family. Mental illness and substance abuse has affected my immediate family and has definitely influenced the timeline of my application, and provided me with many difficult but rewarding learning opportunities. These experiences have shaped me but I do not want admissions committees to use them against me.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on my situation, but also other's hardships they are writing about and tips on approaching this subject area.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Why on earth would they use these against you? They ask you this question to receive an honest answer. If your hardships were truly difficult to overcome and you have learned from them, I don't see why you shouldn't write about them. I'm sure you won't be the first or last applicant to write about topics like mental illness and substance abuse within a family.
Bottom line - be honest and be sure to include how it's affected you

Reactions: 1 user
Thats why the put the questions in there.

Why on earth would they use these against you? They ask you this question to receive an honest answer. If your hardships were truly difficult to overcome and you have learned from them, I don't see why you shouldn't write about them. I'm sure you won't be the first or last applicant to write about topics like mental illness and substance abuse within a family.
Bottom line - be honest and be sure to include how it's affected you

Thanks DrHart. I've been judged harshly for these things in the past and it makes me nervous to talk about them now. But I need to remember that admissions committees are looking for people who can handle tough issues and have seen so much they are more objective. Thank you.