Secondary Diversity and Challenge Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmanswers0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are these for my secondary ideas?

Diversity - I'll talk about how growing up in an indian culture that puts an emphasis on helping our elderly as we live with them throughout our lives and that will help me with the elderly when I'm a doctor. Idk about this I mean a lot of people are close to their grandparents.

Challenge - In high school, I ran track and had a recurrent ankle injury that was a constant pain in my ass but I often just fought through the pain and kept running although I eventually left track in high school. I don't have any crazy challenge in life I've lived a pretty normal one thus far.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to respond? I think the diversity essay has potential but you need to expand on what you've gained from growing up in an indian culture. It's not enough to say "emphasis on elderly care so I will be good at that too". You could also take an angle such as the pros and cons of growing up in the culture versus your experiences in (I'm assuming) USA. What do YOU think your indian culture has to do with your diversity?

Also for the challenge essay I don't think thats a good idea.. In my opinion, you didn't really overcome the pain but instead push through it and probably made your ankle injury worse. Think of this as an adcom; would it show perseverance or more like you didn't seek professional healthcare help? It doesn't have to be a great life-changing challenge but you need to write about how you overcome it and what you learned from it.

Members don't see this ad :)