Secondary Essays: PS part 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my first PS. As of right now I've been highly recommended to rewrite it from scratch because my first one just doesn't cut it. What I'm wondering is how many secondaries require the kind of writing that the PS requires? I am not a creative writer, I just have never been into it, this is PS is really stretching with me, and the idea of writing the same way for 20 secondaries is bumming me out.

Members don't see this ad.

The secondary applications have much more structure to their questions, and they are shorter for the most part. In that way they are easier, but on the other hand the questions are more specific, so if it is something that you don't have a concrete answer for (like "Why do you want to go to %$#@#$'s Medical School?"), you don't have the luxury of just avoiding the questions entirely, like you do in the AMCAS PS. Either way, I would get used to sitting down for hours at a time writing and rewriting.

The secondaries suck, too! But I have noticed that I briefly answered some of the questions in my personal statement. You could say the secondary allows you to expand and elaborate on one specific topic.

The ones I have been filling out are usually 200-500 words or 1500 characters (with spaces) each. I'm noticing a few that overlap between schools so thats good!

Anyway, I'm trying to do one secondary a day, you shouldn't try to do too much!

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
txguy said:
The secondaries suck, too! But I have noticed that I briefly answered some of the questions in my personal statement. You could say the secondary allows you to expand and elaborate on one specific topic.

The ones I have been filling out are usually 200-500 words or 1500 characters (with spaces) each. I'm noticing a few that overlap between schools so thats good!

Anyway, I'm trying to do one secondary a day, you shouldn't try to do too much!

-tx
So, some of you have secondaries already. Does that mean you went on the web page of the specific med school and downloaded it, or were you given a password, as in some cases, from the med school? Basically, how did you get the secondary so soon?

mccordeiro said:
So, some of you have secondaries already. Does that mean you went on the web page of the specific med school and downloaded it, or were you given a password, as in some cases, from the med school? Basically, how did you get the secondary so soon?

Some schools don't screen their secondaries, so they don't need to wait for your AMCAS application to be completely processed. Last year, Pritzker sent me a secondary about 48 hours after I had sent my AMCAS application - if you put their school down on your list, then they'll send you an automated email with instructions on how to access your secondary. Obviously, schools that screen will take longer.

In any case, be prepared for the deluge....

mccordeiro said:

The Texas schools don't screen pre-secondary. As soon as we submit our TMDSAS (equivalent to AMCAS, but for texas) application, we are asked to fill out the secondaries. I venture some AMCAS schools do the same thing. Check their respective websites!

-tx

it seems like some of the secondaries are just second personal statements. i started yale's last night, and they have a question about any additional information/hardships you would like to share that you haven't already highlighted in your application.

ie. ps part 2

What's really annoying me about the secondary is that we basically have to re-enter our AMCAS applications (biographical info, course info, etc.) in the thing...I don't understand the purpose of doing this other than to take up our time :mad:

ms2209 said:
What's really annoying me about the secondary is that we basically have to re-enter our AMCAS applications (biographical info, course info, etc.) in the thing...I don't understand the purpose of doing this other than to take up our time :mad:

actually, i'm really glad we get to enter it all over. if i enter and group activities and honors as i see fit, it's easier to paint a complete picture of myself. the whole amcas format to me is hard to read and does a poor job of allowing you to highlight your strengths, whereas if you write everything in the order you want it is easy to make yourself look good.

Medikit said:
What I'm wondering is how many secondaries require the kind of writing that the PS requires?
Vanishingly few. For the most part, secondaries require very little creative effort. I was complete at 16 schools in the last cycle, and I rarely wrote anything for a secondary beyond blurbs addressing what I'd done since graduating from college, what I'd be doing during the application year, and--with very tight word limits--why I was applying to a particular school.

I found producing my personal statement to be the most excruciating writing process I've ever undertaken, while producing secondary essays proved to be among the easiest.

Bendrix said:
Vanishingly few. For the most part, secondaries require very little creative effort. I was complete at 16 schools in the last cycle, and I rarely wrote anything for a secondary beyond blurbs addressing what I'd done since graduating from college, what I'd be doing during the application year, and--with very tight word limits--why I was applying to a particular school.

I found producing my personal statement to be the most excruciating writing process I've ever undertaken, while producing secondary essays proved to be among the easiest.

I agree! I think writing the secondaries is a little easier because we have already thought through EVERYTHING while writing our darn PS. I still think my essays require a little creative effort--they are succinct though, which is comforting.

-tx

OHSU secondary requires a 1-page essay on general theme of something like why you want to enter medicine, and it is supposed to be different from your AMCAS essay. Ridiculous.

Whats up with the running time limit on the UTSW secondary????

-tx