Secondary List (PleaseHelp!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndoAdduct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to which schools to apply to. So far I have applied to a few but I'm worried about my chances of getting in because I submitted late. I think a lot of my schools are either right on the mark or reaches. There are a few 'safety' schools I could apply to but I really don't like their location and/or their mission doesn't fit with me. All the schools I have applied to are ones I would be happy to go to in a heartbeat.

What else would you add to this list that you think I'd have a decent shot at this late in the cycle?

Thank you in advance!

Stats: MCAT 32/cgpa 3.8/sgpa 3.8
Humanities major
Grad degree with honors
250+ clinical volunteer
250+ bench research assistant (no publication just working in lab)
Medical volunteer abroad
TA/Instructor in Science and ESL
Heavy involvement in non-medical community service
URM
Postbac

School List:
Buffalo
Upstate
Stonybrook
Downstate
Einstein
NYU
Brown
Northwestern
Georgetown
GWU
Dartmouth
Columbia
BU
Tufts
Jefferson
Harvard
NYMC
Hofstra

What else should I add? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you mean URM status?

Pacific Islander/Disadvantaged Status ($)
You are right. Top heavy. I count 6 or 7 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. Are you a NY resident? Is this your first application? First MCAT?

Last edited by a moderator:
Goro suggests:

Buffalo
Upstate
Stonybrook
Downstate
Einstein
Georgetown
GWU
Dartmouth
Tufts
Jefferson
NYMC
Hofstra
Albany
Rochester
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
All other new MD schools
Wake Forest
Tulane
U Miami
USC
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Rosy Franklin
Loyola
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user
You are right. Top heavy. I count 6 or 7 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. Are you a NY resident? Is this your first application? First MCAT?

Fingers crossed for those 6 or 7! I am a NY resident and first time app/MCAT. I think if it were early in the cycle I'd just let it be but I'm worried about my late submission.

Fingers crossed for those 6 or 7! I am a NY resident and first time app/MCAT. I think if it were early in the cycle I'd just let it be but I'm worried about my late submission.
Look at @Goro's list. At least add Albany, Drexel and Temple.

Goro suggests:

Buffalo
Upstate
Stonybrook
Downstate
Einstein
Georgetown
GWU
Dartmouth
Tufts
Jefferson
NYMC
Hofstra
Albany
Rochester
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
All other new MD schools
Wake Forest
Tulane
U Miami
USC
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Rosy Franklin
Loyola
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton

@Goro, now your list looks like my original list! I had to cut it down because of timing and money but can't figure out which schools to apply to.

Of the 16 new schools you added, which few (5 or 6) do you think I have the best shot of getting into at this point in the cycle?

If I do end up applying to all 16 of the schools you added, some of the applications may end up being sent out at the end of September/early October. At that point, do you think it's still worth it? I am willing to send as long as I'm not so behind its virtually meaningless to apply.

Thank you!!

Look at @Goro's list. At least add Albany, Drexel and Temple.

I thought about adding Temple but their secondary seemed to heavily favor PA residents which scared me off a bit. But now that both you and Goro are suggesting that I have a shot there, I will apply.

Thank you so much!

I suggest going for Albany, Rochester, Penn State, one of the Philly triplets, and Quinnipiac, from my list. End of the month might be getting really late, but still worth a shot, especially for the NY schools.

@Goro, now your list looks like my original list! I had to cut it down because of timing and money but can't figure out which schools to apply to.

Of the 16 new schools you added, which few (5 or 6) do you think I have the best shot of getting into at this point in the cycle?

If I do end up applying to all 16 of the schools you added, some of the applications may end up being sent out at the end of September/early October. At that point, do you think it's still worth it? I am willing to send as long as I'm not so behind its virtually meaningless to apply.

Thank you!!

I suggest going for Albany, Rochester, Penn State, one of the Philly triplets, and Quinnipiac, from my list. End of the month might be getting really late, but still worth a shot, especially for the NY schools.

Good call! I already have the NY schools in (except Rochester). I'm going to apply to the ones you suggested and add Temple as one of the Philly ones. Thank you so much!!