Seeking Advice for a 4th-year rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2017doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Background: I am an osteopathic medical student from the west coast currently planning out my fourth year rotations and have two options for one of the rotations occurring during audition season. Both are at DO-friendly ACGME psychiatry programs in different states away from the west coast. I do not have a strong preference for either one. They are both for adult psychiatry. My COMLEX I was passing but below average so I am taking some dedicated time to prepare for Level II because I feel like I need it. I can only accept one of the offers due to scheduling overlap.

Option 1) I already accepted this rotation a few weeks ago. If I took this rotation, I would only have two weeks to prepare for my board exam. I have no other rotations in that state.
Option 2) I was recently offered this rotation and have a bit over a week to decide whether to accept. If I took this rotation, I would have a full four weeks to prepare for my board exam. However, I would have to cancel my rotation at the other program, which I suspect may be considered when it comes time to apply. The other drawback is that it is in the same state as a different audition I'll be on. I mention this because I suspect that as a person who grew up and went to medical school on the west coast, a program in a different part of the country would like to see that I'm willing to move elsewhere and having two rotations in the same state wouldn't add much in that regard.

As of right now, my inclination is to go with Option 2 to get more dedicated study time. Would that be a mistake?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I dont think it would be a mistake. Especially considering you want to get a good level 2 score since your level 1 isnt as good. Also, I dont think theyd hold it against you for cancelling the first rotation.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
How would places you applied to even know you did 2 auditions in that state? They won't be seeing your 4th year transcripts. I don't think it would be an issue to go with option 2.

Reactions: 1 user