Seeking advice on Irish schools please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harbsy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just recently discovered this site and it is excellent. I love reading the insights from future medical students and current medical students.

I'd like to give a little background on myself before I ask my questions. I'm 19 years of age and entering my third year of university attempting to complete a 4-year bachelor of science degree. I am thinking of writing the mcat next summer however I would like to attempt to get into the 6-year medical program in Ireland after my 3rd year of university instead of finishing my 4-year science degree.

I was just wanting to know which schools in Ireland I could apply for to try and get into the 6-year program. Is it just Trinity or can I also apply to UCD and RCSI? I'm also wondering if I have to write the mcat for the 6-year degree at any of these schools.

I also read on a site that if you are attempting to get into a 6-year program that all you need is to be a gratuate from highschool. However I believe that since i've been in university for 2 years that this could be to my advantage. I guess i would like to know if i could work this fact in when i'm applying for these schools. My GPA in university is quite good however my marks in highschool were not the best (too much partying)!

Thanks for any help that you may be able to give me!

Harbsy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

You dont need MCAT scores to apply to RCSI - about other colleges, I dont know. Honestly, the pre-medical year is a joke - especially if you've already done, or almost have done, a full BSc degree, it would be a waste of one year of your life. If I was you I would complete your degree, and write the MCAT and see where you get into the states for Medical school, and at the same time during your final BSc year apply to the 5 year medical program at RCSI as a back up. The fees here are unbelievable, but many of us, who come straight out of highschool especially, are willing to bite the bullet - so to speak. I think it would be a waste of valuable money for you to come to Ireland and spending another 6 years of your life at, say RCSI, when you could do well in your senior years of your degree, write your MCAT and go to a state or out of state university. For you, I wouldn't recommend coming to Ireland - yeah, IF you don't get it, then thats a different issue. But i would stick where you are if i was you, and try to do med school in the states. Also, let me remind you, when you apply back, you'll be considered a foriegn student - and hence it will be tough. I know people who've tried and tried - and they are brilliant students but arent getting back. Not to say RCSI, or ireland medical colleges are bad or anything, but considering the stage at which your at in college - I just dont think it's worth it - you know what i'm saying? If I was you, I would only consider RCSI, Trinity or UCD as a back up, if you dont get into med school in north america.....the fees at rcsi are 36,600 Euros for this college year and will go up by about 7% each year.....and then dont forget the good old USMLE's I II and III that you gotta do amazing on.... Not to put you off, cuz at the end of the day - it's really your choice, but this is just my opinion.

Sorry if you didnt get the answer you expected!

Although a lot of us coming to Ireland have a fantastic time and some are doing this out of interest, the most recommended option is to study medicine in the place where you're considering practicing and living in the future. If you eventually want to be in the US or Canada, stay there for your medical education. Obviously, those of us over here have broken that "rule" for whatever personal reason. Some people coming straight from high school have other circumstances - i.e. their parents attended Irish med schools before going to the US, so have an interest and a connection with that school. While you are interested in it now, you have to think very carefully about this and evaluate what you think you can get out of being here besides a shorter course of study. Having said that, there Are people here (Canadians especially) who have "quit" undergrad and started medical education here. You would most likely not be able to transfer your credits and exempt out of the first year, meaning you would have to do the full 6-year course unless there's a special circumstance which warrants exemption...but they're usually very strict about these things. In order to skip the first you, you need a full bachelor's degree in a science subject.

Another caveat is that a lot of the Irish schools seem to be changing to a 5-yr. system, where everyone does 5 years and requires some previous science background. I don't know the details of this and when it will be implemented (target date was 2007, but it being Ireland it probably means 2010. Although they have been surprisingly quick with med ed curriculum changes). Trinity has started it this year. I don't know how this will affect foreign student entry - either direct entrants or requirements for those who will be entering into the new 5 yr. curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
leorl said:
there Are people here (Canadians especially) who have "quit" undergrad and started medical education here.

That's a really interesting bit of info. Any ideas on why Canadians might be especially prone to this?

Thanks for your help in answering my questions! However, the atlantic bridge program through which im thinking of applying to ireland said in an email to me "Every year 100% of our US and Canadian graduates who seek residencies in North America readily obtain them." This statement made me want to apply more, but if what you're saying about some people not being able to get back into north america, then im not so sure :(

hey ronin, actually...i'm not quite sure. Now, I don't know TOO many people who've done this, but I think it's because coming to Ireland has been utilized for a longer period of time by Canadians than Americans. It seems possibly that more Canadians know about it and know about that option. Also, of the ones I know, more Canadians have european connections and claims for european passports. I don't know how true this is statistically, it's just conjecture. I don't know how many canadians there are here vs. Americans, but my feeling is that there are slightly more Canadians.

leorl said:
hey ronin, actually...i'm not quite sure. Now, I don't know TOO many people who've done this, but I think it's because coming to Ireland has been utilized for a longer period of time by Canadians than Americans. It seems possibly that more Canadians know about it and know about that option. Also, of the ones I know, more Canadians have european connections and claims for european passports. I don't know how true this is statistically, it's just conjecture. I don't know how many canadians there are here vs. Americans, but my feeling is that there are slightly more Canadians.

To get back to canada is very hard, and if you do get back it's usually to a remote area - not a city like vancouver or toronto- that's a fact. And if someone makes it to there, it's 'cause they are flippin' smart beyond belief. you know? There are more canadians here 'cause like the USA we don't have a program such as the 7 year medical program they have in the states, or in particular places the 6 year program - i think texas. Usually these programs, for international students (i.e. canadians) it's very hard to get into - if not almost impossible. So, therefore, alot of us opt to coem here to Ireland straight after highschool. There're people here who've completed their BSc degree and come, but it's an extra year for em (5 instead of 4) and the headache of apply back to the states and etc etc. And, by the way, that quotes wrong - haven't you heard of advertising?? - don't worry I fell for the same thing too, and then i came here, and then it hit me - just exactly how well you gotta do if you want to go back to a nice city.

Really up to you man......if you're in the states - i'd stay there!

I don't know if the quote is wrong or not. The ones who do go back, do end up matching pretty safely. They've also done the work to do so, though. And not all North Americans choose to go back or match, which decreases the power of that statistic. So perhaps 100% of those who choose to go back, generally do. I haven't heard of US/Canadian students failing the USMLE or having trouble getting back to the US, but note that you may not get a competitive specialty either from FMG status or from not-as-competitive board scores or whatever. As far as I'm aware, many of those who do go back choose to do FP.

leorl said:
I don't know if the quote is wrong or not. The ones who do go back, do end up matching pretty safely. They've also done the work to do so, though. And not all North Americans choose to go back or match, which decreases the power of that statistic. So perhaps 100% of those who choose to go back, generally do. I haven't heard of US/Canadian students failing the USMLE or having trouble getting back to the US, but note that you may not get a competitive specialty either from FMG status or from not-as-competitive board scores or whatever. As far as I'm aware, many of those who do go back choose to do FP.

Failing the USMLEs isn't always the issue with North Americans. Sometimes it's getting a high enough mark to match with the res programs you may want to work with. :rolleyes:

i'd just like to clarify that im living in canada right now, does that make any difference

make a difference with regards to what? It shouldn't make too much difference applying to US schools and taking the USMLE, but note that it is very hard to get back into Canada (with the provincial requirements you guys have and stuff) - some do get in, some end up in the US. I don't know if there are special visa considerations for Canadians practicing/doing residency in the US.