Seeking advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teamaudio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I wanted to get some advice from people in this forum regarding my situation.
I graduated from Univ of Tennessee with a bachelors in audiology and speech path. After graduation I took a year off to work as an audiology tech and apply to graduate programs. My gpa in undergrad was a 2.9 and my gre score was a 1000. When I applied to schools I did not get in, because of my gpa. I had met with some of these schools beforehand and was told that my chances look great(I had supplemented my gpa with other things like volunteer and work experience). But I did not get in. I decided to pursue my hearing dispensing liscence and began looking for jobs-- there are literally NO jobs for dispensers. I've talked to plenty of dispensers and they say the field is growing and has a lot of scope. Anyway, the jobs that are available are very area specific(no jobs in the south)... I would like to have flexibility to move around. I have since shadowed an SLP and I love it. Can someone give me advice on what I can do to boost my chances to get into grad school for SLP? I don't mind going back and repeating some courses from my undergrad. And also on job availability please ? Audiology jobs/hearing dispenser jobs are so limited and Im hoping to get more flexibility with moving and stuff. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I graduated from Univ of Tennessee with a bachelors in audiology and speech path. After graduation I took a year off to work as an audiology tech and apply to graduate programs. My gpa in undergrad was a 2.9 and my gre score was a 1000. When I applied to schools I did not get in, because of my gpa. I had met with some of these schools beforehand and was told that my chances look great(I had supplemented my gpa with other things like volunteer and work experience). But I did not get in. I decided to pursue my hearing dispensing liscence and began looking for jobs-- there are literally NO jobs for dispensers. I've talked to plenty of dispensers and they say the field is growing and has a lot of scope. Anyway, the jobs that are available are very area specific(no jobs in the south)... I would like to have flexibility to move around. I have since shadowed an SLP and I love it. Can someone give me advice on what I can do to boost my chances to get into grad school for SLP? I don't mind going back and repeating some courses from my undergrad. And also on job availability please ? Audiology jobs/hearing dispenser jobs are so limited and Im hoping to get more flexibility with moving and stuff. Thanks in advance

they prolly told you your chances look great since they dont want to make anyone feel bad, there only 10-15 spots for most AuD programs, they will take the cream of the crop, 2.9 and 1000 are way below the average, honest truth

as far as the hearing aid dispenser, mass call and mass email your resume to a large amount of places 200-300-400, dont stop, if something is available they will call you, try big brand retailers, costco, etc, but if you really want slp, keep reading

as far as slp admissions

they have quadruple the applicants of Aud, but double the spots, most schools especially name brand public schools are extremely competitive, private schools (ie vandy, nyu) a bit less applicants, but still extremely competitive. But unlike other fields, where you got your degree is largely worthless in slp, as long as you are certified by asha and your state board, your fine, you can bill as high as anyone in the field. Dont listen to anyone about name, and serious f.u.c.k. the us news rankings.

You would have to take like 30+ credits of straight A's to bring your gpa in something decent, on the other hand you can study hard/take prep classes and very easily raise your gre into something that will offset your gpa FAST.

Honestly most programs use gpa/gre combo as a basis for cutoff, then they really look at resume/certifications/experience and most importantly personal statement.

I would use the asha program finder, and find places that have the least average accepted gpa/gre, APPLY VERY VERY BROADLY, I would apply to at least 20-35 programs over the us. SLP has gotten crazy competitive, as much as any other field in healthcare. You need to increase your odds by applying everywhere instead of 2-5 schools like the norm. You may have to go out of state and pay out of state tuition, but in the end you will still become an slp and be able to work in any state as an slp.

If you have the time, money, and motivation, take any slp prereqs over that you did really bad in and get in A. But realize that it will unlikely bring your gpa up to anything super competitive like i said before unless you took a ton of credits.

Long story short. Get your gre up. Get some experience to boost your personal statement/resume. Apply broadly all over the place. Youll get in somewhere. I have a ton of friends who has ~3.0, ~1000, they only applied to a few places in state and did not get in anywhere. But the people who applied to a ton of places got in somewhere.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

excuse my spelling/punctuation, wrote this in like 45 secs

Thank you, that helps a lot. My pre reqs in my major classes were good. My only low grades were when I was pre med and took upper level bio and chem. appreciate your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain lol. I was pre-med at the beginning of my undergrad career. Chemistry and Physics were not meant for me. Organic chemistry totally ruined my GPA, but I was able to bring it back up to over 3.0. I am now taking a post-bachelor's sequence of courses for pre-reqs to get into grad school SLP programs, I have (currently a 3.77 in my pre-reqs). I've done observations at clinics and hospitals. I plan to apply to 10-20 schools all over the eastern part of the US. Hopefully, we all get in somewhere. The best of luck to you!

Hello everyone,
Thank you for the answer to the question I wanted to ask