Seeking advice regarding a job which does fluoroscopic joint injections....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMG1230

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am considering part time position that does fluoroscopic knee injections with hyalgan, and also other joints as well. It is high volume, and the initial workup and visit will be done by a PA and primary care doctor, and I would be performing the joint injection, under fluoroscopy. The owner of the office is a chiropractor. Does this sound legal and by the books or does i sound shady? Because a PA or primary doc will have already seen the patient and referred to me just for hyalgan injection of knee or shoulder or etc..., therefore I will only spend a brief time just to examine the patient before i inject. In terms of the procedure note and my documentation of the procedure, I just wanted advice. Since in the past, I would be the only doctor doing the diagnosis and work up and then if needed, i would do the joint injection with ultrasound guidance. I don't use fluoroscopic guidance for joint injections. But this job position used fluoro for the joint injections. Let me know what you think...thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Shady.. why would you work for a chiro?? I've been approached by several chiro's looking to hire MDs. It's a money making scheme

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever heard that joke, "How many doctors does it take to do a knee injection?"

Me neither, but the original post has the punch line. The answer is four, apparently. The "Chiro" doctor, doctor PCP, PA (sort of a "doctor") and the Pain doctor.

No, but seriously. What's the point? They can't do simple knee injections? With fluoro? Big deal, stick the needle in and take a picture, for God's sake.

I would ask some questions. It sounds weird.

Last edited:
These chiropractor run injection clinics are as dirty as can be. Also, hyalgan injections are covered in the knee only...I've not seen any insurance cover hyalgan into the shoulder .I've done it self pay and it works well, but that is self pay.

You'd get 90% inappropriate referrals. The PA and PCP loose their job if they don't refer to you for injection. You loose your job if you don't do the inappropriately referred injection. The chiropractor has paid some outside consulting firm a lot of money for a turn key injection suite. The hinge of the operation is finding real doctors to do the work for the chiropractor.

Run. To be the scut monkey for a Chiro, PA and PCP? As has been so eloquently stated by another on this forum... I'd rather stick a hot poker through my eye.

Sounds Like a great Opportunity, don't listen to these Naysayers ...sign on immediately

Reactions: 1 user
Run forrest run.

This job will forever ruin your reputation. I would never refer to or socialize with a physician who worked for a chiro at any point in their professional career.

The position is familiar to me.
I practice in NYC, and I needed 1 extra day of work outside of my office.
After looking at the details I rejected this position immediately.
You might take it 1-2 days just to supplement your income, BUT everything the other posters say is accurate...
it's shady...
and the business knows that they'll be hiring your replacement in 3-6 months... they openly said that the job "is something to put on your resume before you move on".
Btw: I ended up just doing per-diem anesthesia work.

We had a local chiro that was doing this. Had PA see patient and local ER doc do the injections under fluoro. Massive marketing with free seminars including lunch at the Golden Corral. He ran into some financial trouble and the doc is no longer there. This is who he was initially working with, then did it on his own. I guess he tried to cut them out of their fees

http://www.oacenters.com/about-us/proprietary-knee-program.aspx

There is a Physician / consultant ( name sounds like LoJack) out of SC who sets up these turn key injection clinics for chiropractors. They then get an anesthesiologist to do the ESI's 2days a week.
Was approached by a few last year..... Typical used car salesman approach.

Stay away.

There is a Physician / consultant ( name sounds like LoJack) out of SC who sets up these turn key injection clinics for chiropractors. They then get an anesthesiologist to do the ESI's 2days a week.
Was approached by a few last year..... Typical used car salesman approach.

Stay away.
Yes! I was contacted multiple times by this guy. Dr. Mejacks or something like that

Wait, I'm very confused.

A chiropracter suggesting joint injections? This is a new concept to me. Most chiro's I know will make up some weird diagnosis for the pain, and push some concentrated oils and candida clensing and liver flushes. That is where the money is!