Seeking Advice -- SMP v DIY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loldanny913

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a similar post on the post-bacc page asking for advice, to no avail. I noticed that this page tends to provide some more advice.

I am a career changer, looking to come into medicine. My B.S. is in Hospitality Management, and I will be graduating with a 2.6. The reason for my low GPA is simply... I worked. I have very strong work experience in the Hospitality industry, and finance (VP of a consulting firm). Most of the classes I took had mandatory attendance requirements, and I chose to skip a lot of school so I can go to work and make money. I am due to graduate this Fall with $0 in student loans. I have no debt, except for a home, which I will be selling to fund my medical education.

Right now, I am looking at taking my pre-reqs at UNLV. I will be able to complete 8-credits of Bio + Lab, 8-Credits of I/O-Chem + lab,and physics + lab in 1 1/2 years. During the summer, I also plan on retaking my pre-reqs that I received C's and lower in. Additionally, I plan on resigning from work and focus solely on school and building my medical resume.

I am impartial to a DO or MD program. My #1 school option would be U. of Nevada or TUCOM-NV.

With that said, aside from my current plans... Is there a career-changer SMP that would fit in to somebody with my sort of experience, or should I kill it with a DIY post-bacc, retake my courses and apply to a DO program?

Although I am trying to keep costs low, I do not mind spending the extra buck to get to the end game.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to rock the pre-reqs first and foremost. Retaking any Cs or below is also a good plan.

To that end you can't work long hours and neglect your GPA. If you ever want to get into medical school you need to focus on doing well in classes.

If you do that and get a solid MCAT then you can consider doing an SMP.

No one will care about your fiscal responsibility and independence except for you.

2.6 is a big hole. Will you be able to raise your gpa to at least 3.0 with your post bacc classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you have a decent plan. I am in a similar hole with my GPA. It makes things more difficult but it definitely isn't impossible.

You know what you need to do. Put work aside and concentrate on your long term goals.

DO is advisable and its grade replacement policy can be a game changer for those of us with low undergrad gpa's.

Ace your prereqs, rock your MCAT, sell your house and you'll be in medical school with zero debt.

Good luck mate.

Thank you for the advice. When looking at applications, do adcoms look at previous work experience outside of medical?

To clarify: I will not be working FT while doing my pre-reqs. I will be strictly focusing on school, ECs and shadowing. I will basically be living off my savings, and hope for the best.

With the DO grade replacement, do they still look at the entire transcript? If I had to retake a couple of classes, would there be any red-flags that show up or do they just care to see maturity and growth?

Ace your prereqs, rock your MCAT, sell your house and you'll be in medical school with zero debt.

Good luck mate.

Sell your house hahaha... living in your car is no biggy for 4 years :)

Reactions: 1 user
Being in Southern Nevada, there really isn't much of an option for med schools. Roseman and UNLV medical schools are in talks, but nothing official yet and the only option iS TUCOM.

Best case scenario, flip that **** and rent a small condo.