Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry if this specific case has already been answered on here but I just thought I'd give it a go. I'm 23 years old and finished up my undergrad in Medical Laboratory Science last year. I've always had an inkling that I wanted to go Medical School but didn't actually pursue this until the end of my Junior Year. I went to a CC for 2 years before transferring to a state school and completed all of my science prereqs at the CC besides Biochemistry (most were already required for MLS). I got a 4.0 in CC and maintained a 3.71 gpa in my Junior and Senior level classes at the state school (Fall semester of Junior was a 3.3-- Let the social aspects of college get to me). I'm just wondering if I should spend the money to take a couple more upper level sciences before I apply next year. My upper level MLS are technically Health Science classes, so they don't count towards my sGPA; therefore, I only have my 4.0 in all prereqs at the CC and an A in an intro to Biochem class at my state school to hang my hat on for my sGPA/ability to succeed in the difficult science classes in Medical School. My EC's are solid with about 600 hours as a scribe (will also be working full time in the ER as a scribe for the coming year) and a variety of volunteer experiences. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, so should I just try my best to crush that in order to prove I can handle the work load of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

With your GPA, you don't really need to worry about proving you handle medical school. You sustained high academic achievement at CC and at a 4 year university so I don't think anyone will think you only succeeded because half of your coursework was at a CC. I would get a copy of the MSAR to find out if any of the school you are interested in applying to require more upper division bio courses (genetics, cell bio, etc). If they do, take them. If not, I wouldn't worry about taking more classes. Just prep for the MCAT and continue to shadow/volunteer. Best of luck to you.

Hello, sorry if this specific case has already been answered on here but I just thought I'd give it a go. I'm 23 years old and finished up my undergrad in Medical Laboratory Science last year. I've always had an inkling that I wanted to go Medical School but didn't actually pursue this until the end of my Junior Year. I went to a CC for 2 years before transferring to a state school and completed all of my science prereqs at the CC besides Biochemistry (most were already required for MLS). I got a 4.0 in CC and maintained a 3.71 gpa in my Junior and Senior level classes at the state school (Fall semester of Junior was a 3.3-- Let the social aspects of college get to me). I'm just wondering if I should spend the money to take a couple more upper level sciences before I apply next year. My upper level MLS are technically Health Science classes, so they don't count towards my sGPA; therefore, I only have my 4.0 in all prereqs at the CC and an A in an intro to Biochem class at my state school to hang my hat on for my sGPA/ability to succeed in the difficult science classes in Medical School. My EC's are solid with about 600 hours as a scribe (will also be working full time in the ER as a scribe for the coming year) and a variety of volunteer experiences. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, so should I just try my best to crush that in order to prove I can handle the work load of med school?

Reactions: 1 user
Nail the MCAT and you have a shot at many MD or DO. Check with specific MD schools you want to see if they are ok with cc courses, many are but some aren't. A couple of more tough science courses at univ level would help your application at more competitive programs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk