Seeking for an advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shlee82290

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with the Hearing and Speech Sciences B.A. degree, and I finished college with 3.48 overall GPA and 3.7 major GPA (However, our school didn't employ plus/minus grading system until recently, and with that in consideration, my overall GPA turned out to be 3.46 overall, and 3.64-3.65 for the major GPA). I guess this doesn't mean much, but I never got anything lower than an A- in audiology courses (I have few Bs in speech-related courses, though, haha.)

I actually applied last year to the University of Maryland (where I did my undergrad), University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, James Madison University, and Auburn University, and I have not gotten in anywhere. I made the waitlist cut for UMD, and I got to the interview part for JMU, but no cigar.

Just to provide some of my credentials, I had GRE scores of 152 V, 156 Q, and 4 for AW. In terms of extracurricular activities and pertinent experience, I was part of NSCS, and being a member of that group entailed of volunteer services. I have been working with an autistic adult since last year summer. Also, I was selected to participate in audiology clinic at UMD during my last semester, but I'm guessing this wasn't considered for the admission committee since I applied before having any substantial experience in this class (I did get an A-, however, in this class).

Ever since this summer started, I have been studying for GRE again to make up for my most-likely-low GPA and relative lack of experience, and I might start shadowing a local audiologist again to keep up with my knowledge in the profession. Honestly, it was pretty difficult to accept the fact that I had to repeat this arduous task, and I think I can get some help or advice :) Also, if anyone can possibly recommend me some schools that can fit me, and even give me some feedback on my personal statement (which I can send through e-mail), then that would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to try and get as much Audiology-related experience as possible. That will show how serious you are about the field, and I've been told your personal statement and your experiences are more heavily weighted than GRE and GPA. Hope that helps!