seeking fully-funded PsyD/clinically-oriented PhD - international applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i have a friend (who is not a US citizen) who would like to attend a PsyD or PhD program in the States in 2010. she is interested in clinical work more than research, though she likes and can do research as well. she needs something with good funding (full tuition remission + work opportunities). apa-accredited, of course.

i'm trying to tell her everything i know about programs here, but my knowledge is mostly limited to new york. if anyone has any particular suggestions or advice, let me know. she's willing to live anywhere in the states, so long as she feels she fits well with the program. also, if anyone attends a program with a good minority scholarship (or knows of any good external scholarships that would cover her moving expenses), please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

It'd really, really help to know more about your friend, especially granted that overseas measures of academic prowess aren't necessarily the same as ours here!

That said, most state schools are fully funded/partially funded, and have excellent APPIC/APA match rates. IN Calif for example, every UC I looked at had excellent programs for international graduate students and of course, are fully funded/partially funded... UC Berkeley has one of the most diverse student bodies in the clinical psych Ph.D. program that I've seen anywhere but, (and there's always a but...) they're way, way deep on the Research side of the fence.

I don't know much about schools outside of California, and I apologize for that. However, I would also recommend that your friend buy, or you buy for your friend and ship it to him or her, this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Grad...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236406124&sr=8-1

It's excellent, and it will get your friend off on the right track.

Good luck!

Hey there,

It'd really, really help to know more about your friend, especially granted that overseas measures of academic prowess aren't necessarily the same as ours here!

That said, most state schools are fully funded/partially funded, and have excellent APPIC/APA match rates. IN Calif for example, every UC I looked at had excellent programs for international graduate students and of course, are fully funded/partially funded... UC Berkeley has one of the most diverse student bodies in the clinical psych Ph.D. program that I've seen anywhere but, (and there's always a but...) they're way, way deep on the Research side of the fence.

I don't know much about schools outside of California, and I apologize for that. However, I would also recommend that your friend buy, or you buy for your friend and ship it to him or her, this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Grad...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236406124&sr=8-1

It's excellent, and it will get your friend off on the right track.

Good luck!

thanks so much! well, she is about to receive the insider's guide. i will tell you more about her:

- she has an MA in clinical psych. from a university in the states. i think she has a pretty good GPA, don't know what it is exactly
- BA in psychology from her home country
- she wants to focus on clinical work, but she's interested in conducting a little bit of research as well
- she has years of practice as a psychologist in her home country (both individual and group work). also supervision and management work within the insitution she works for.
- she plans to take the GREs soon. she's scoring pretty high in math but not so well in verbal (she has fluent english, but speaks with an accent.) good toefl.

that's about it i guess. i think she will need a PhD program that leans towards the clinical side or a PsyD program. i just hope to hget some personal suggestions/advice for those in programs right now -also any tips from current international students. i thought it would help, since i'd like to give her some advice and encourage her to study here :)