Seeking some wholehearted Nontraditional Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thoracic1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and Good Day to the SDN ,

First and foremost, Happy Fourth of July to everyone on here and to your respective families.

I am seeking some wholehearted advice from people on this particular thread that have gone or are presently going through a nontraditional route. A little background info, I started collegiate studies in premed coursework, and participated in heart and diabetes research starting my freshman year in college. (I had a work study position at one particular heart lab and was doing research for course credit at an endocrinology lab). I had even got into the Medical Fraternity A.E.D. However things took a turn for the worse. After coming back from spring break, things just got out of hand and I spiraled downhill. I had to transfer schools due to disciplinary issues that occurred being I went to a large state school. I was young and encountered some problems. Furthermore, I then encountered a lot of personal, medical and traumatic events stemmed continuously for the next 4.5 years. It has been a long slippery slope of dramatic events that disabled my interest in studying as a whole and people around me got worried about my potential being wasted. I had relocated to a new city, and started working to support my family while taking some courses here and there, however the burden of work far outweighed schooling. Furthermore, I had flat-lined due to a gastrointestinal problem that I had no idea or awareness of. This was due to the fact that I was working so much, I had unfortunately neglected it, and that sidelined me for a good 6-8 months at age 20. Immediately after that, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and luckily she went into remission, but then my father was diagnosed with Leukemia at the young age of 48 and ended up passing away 6 months later. In the midst of all this, I had two girls of which I ended up giving for adoption due to my state and situation and the cost of the medical bills would not obviously subside which cemented me to continue working. I had to relocate two more times to find suitable employment for someone that has no degree yet, and fortunately due to my general aptitude of mechanical components and electrical systems, I was able to obtain a job (without any degree, even in this economy) at a major manufacturer (for which I am eternally grateful for) that pays reasonably well, and my work ethic being that of working all day everyday has been trying to make the most out of it. I work upwards of 80 hours per week (by choice in order to save $)
I also have some general IT experience in the realms of programming and am seeking to obtain a better (temporary position) that will pay much better with lesser hours of work. (ideally I would be making the same as I am now with all the overtime in 80 hours per week in 40 with this temporary IT gig). It will force me to relocate to South Florida region which is ok with me because I have some family that reside there, and my goal is to go back and reunite my studies at UMiami. Even though I have a gap of about 6 years, (due to work, illnesses, family deaths, supporting etc), I hope that I can gain admission there and start from square one.

I have this drive now after all that I have been through to try and master my premedical studies to the fullest as well as trying to score highly and better prepare myself for the MCAT's. I refuse to back down, and I will not let anything get in my way no matter how many times I may fall. I am seeking advice and help on SDN throughout my new journey and welcome any thoughts, words of advice and support. I thank you all for taking the time in reading this story and look forward in gaining as much knowledge as possible from the kind subscribers at SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

First thing - just take it one step at a time. Focus on getting the best grades possible right now. It is easy to make excuses and not perform to your potential when you are working at the same time, so be ready to spend your free time studying. Start with only one class your first semester. You want to prove to yourself that you can do it, and getting overwhelmed from the outset would be a huge set back. I cant remember who said it, but one of the wiser SDN non-trads said, "Getting into med school isn't a sprint. It is a marathon, so be ready for the long game."

As for your work situation. I want to caution you about a few things. South Florida is an expensive place to live. What you think you might be gaining in salary/wage you may lose in cost of living. The IT arena is very volatile. I am a former Software Engineer, with 10 years of experience. At one point in time I was going through 1 job a year. Taking a job in IT represents a risk, however I understand that experience is the end-all be-all for that industry so there is some reward for you as well. I personally wouldn't take that job unless there is a big IT community in the city you will be moving to. Otherwise if you are let go from that position, you will be left with few prospects to continue down that road.

Hopefully that gives you a well-rounded view. Let me know if you have questions.

Thank you for that input. It is more of a one year contractual type position (which is the norm these days) and I would most probably be residing with family (to alleviate some of the costs) I am presently 24 and realize that it is never quite late. However, I feel that this position will give me more $ in less hours giving me more time and ability to focus on coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for that input. It is more of a one year contractual type position (which is the norm these days) and I would most probably be residing with family (to alleviate some of the costs) I am presently 24 and realize that it is never quite late. However, I feel that this position will give me more $ in less hours giving me more time and ability to focus on coursework.

Most IT jobs are like this. They say it is contractual, but treat you like a regular employee. The reason they do this is so they can fire you whenever they want without going through a bunch of HR stuff. That is why I had so many jobs in such a short amount of time. Getting experience is the most important thing in IT, which makes my degree useless. It really chafes me to this day.

If you can save money by living with family that is a great start. 24 is still really young. I didn't even think medicine was a career path for me until I was 29.

That gives me some hope! May I ask, what made you embark the thought of switching careers? For me, I loathe the fact of working in IT however, for the time being, it is something that will enable me to take care of family etc. As opposed to any other ordinary job.

TL, dr, Do you have any questions?

Hello and Good Day to the SDN ,

First and foremost, Happy Fourth of July to everyone on here and to your respective families.

I am seeking some wholehearted advice from people on this particular thread that have gone or are presently going through a nontraditional route. A little background info, I started collegiate studies in premed coursework, and participated in heart and diabetes research starting my freshman year in college. (I had a work study position at one particular heart lab and was doing research for course credit at an endocrinology lab). I had even got into the Medical Fraternity A.E.D. However things took a turn for the worse. After coming back from spring break, things just got out of hand and I spiraled downhill. I had to transfer schools due to disciplinary issues that occurred being I went to a large state school. I was young and encountered some problems. Furthermore, I then encountered a lot of personal, medical and traumatic events stemmed continuously for the next 4.5 years. It has been a long slippery slope of dramatic events that disabled my interest in studying as a whole and people around me got worried about my potential being wasted. I had relocated to a new city, and started working to support my family while taking some courses here and there, however the burden of work far outweighed schooling. Furthermore, I had flat-lined due to a gastrointestinal problem that I had no idea or awareness of. This was due to the fact that I was working so much, I had unfortunately neglected it, and that sidelined me for a good 6-8 months at age 20. Immediately after that, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and luckily she went into remission, but then my father was diagnosed with Leukemia at the young age of 48 and ended up passing away 6 months later. In the midst of all this, I had two girls of which I ended up giving for adoption due to my state and situation and the cost of the medical bills would not obviously subside which cemented me to continue working. I had to relocate two more times to find suitable employment for someone that has no degree yet, and fortunately due to my general aptitude of mechanical components and electrical systems, I was able to obtain a job (without any degree, even in this economy) at a major manufacturer (for which I am eternally grateful for) that pays reasonably well, and my work ethic being that of working all day everyday has been trying to make the most out of it. I work upwards of 80 hours per week (by choice in order to save $)
I also have some general IT experience in the realms of programming and am seeking to obtain a better (temporary position) that will pay much better with lesser hours of work. (ideally I would be making the same as I am now with all the overtime in 80 hours per week in 40 with this temporary IT gig). It will force me to relocate to South Florida region which is ok with me because I have some family that reside there, and my goal is to go back and reunite my studies at UMiami. Even though I have a gap of about 6 years, (due to work, illnesses, family deaths, supporting etc), I hope that I can gain admission there and start from square one.

I have this drive now after all that I have been through to try and master my premedical studies to the fullest as well as trying to score highly and better prepare myself for the MCAT's. I refuse to back down, and I will not let anything get in my way no matter how many times I may fall. I am seeking advice and help on SDN throughout my new journey and welcome any thoughts, words of advice and support. I thank you all for taking the time in reading this story and look forward in gaining as much knowledge as possible from the kind subscribers at SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
That gives me some hope! May I ask, what made you embark the thought of switching careers? For me, I loathe the fact of working in IT however, for the time being, it is something that will enable me to take care of family etc. As opposed to any other ordinary job.

Several things I didn't like, the major ones are as follows
  • Lack of stability. Corporations have not loyalty to their employees
  • Lack of human contact. Sitting behind a desk all day every day and urged to be even more productive
  • Corporate Culture. Full of backstabbing, laziness and general incompetence
  • Lack of Professional Standards. I was usually the only person who had a degree in my field. The other "programmers" had no formal training and just had "experience" listed on their resume. I can't explain how frustrating it is when you hire someone who says they have experience and then you realize they don't know the first thing. Of course by that time management is always too arrogant to admit they made a mistake so you are stuck with said person. This happens to be the NORM not the exception. Quality programmers are rare. If there was a board, like USMLE, or a requirement of having a certain degree, I think it would improve things.
  • Lack of meaningful impact. Any code you write will be overwritten within 5 years. That means you have no real contribution that is lasting.
If IT gives you a better position than do it. I suffered every day, but I made damn good money that let me support my family. That is the only reason I kept going day after day.

Reactions: 1 user
Those are good points. Right now, its just about the timing and money factor. It is something that I just have to put up with for time being. I am ultimately trying to seek a position at the U of Miami in order to maybe alleviate some tuition costs. Hopefully something can fall into place there.