Self Assessment Results! Need Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gammaray333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Please help me! I need some advice, so I just finished doing the Physics and G Chem SA package and my results were not great at all. I felt like I struggled a lot through the questions while doing them, not knowing several things. First off my results were: Physics- 67% (13% above average) and GChem- 65%(1% below average). My exam is scheduled for within a month and I did these after finishing up my content review. I can see that this means I still don't have content down, but you think there is a chance for me to improve within a month and do well. Or scoring this low does it mean I'm doomed? Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

The Physics and Gen chem assessments are harder than the AAMCs. I scored a 79% in Physics, 85% in Gen chem, and I got 11-13 on all my AAMC practice exams. You'll be fine, keep learning from your mistakes.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine, just make sure you learn the parts that you are WEAK on. It is a natural tendency to just brush them over and hope that they don't show up on the MCAT (it's what I did =P). But it'll definitely make you feel better if you can learn them! Good luck on the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thank you so much, so you guys don't think these percentages correlate to the AAMC scores b/c with these percentages it would be 7-8 most likely on the other scale. I need to get 30+ but ok I plan on reviewing all the weak areas. Do you know what would be the best way to review the question types you know like "hypothesis testing" etc......I don't really know how to use that type of information. Thanks everyone!

I wouldn't worry too much about your AAMC SA scores because it's probably your first exposure to AAMC's style of questions before moving onto the FL's. I wasn't too sure on how to use their analyses on my strengths/weaknesses either, but I just used it to review particular topics that I knew I wasn't strong on instead of particular question types. For example, if I missed several acid/base questions or kinematics questions, then I would go back to my books and review the content and attempt more practice questions. Make sure you go through and determine why you missed particular questions (e.g. missed info in passage or misread question/answer choices) to prevent similar future mistakes.

I also had the TPRH SW, which had a plethora of passages and questions to help me nail down the content. If you're planning on taking FL's soon, you can continue to do additional practice.

I wouldn't worry too much about your AAMC SA scores because it's probably your first exposure to AAMC's style of questions before moving onto the FL's. I wasn't too sure on how to use their analyses on my strengths/weaknesses either, but I just used it to review particular topics that I knew I wasn't strong on instead of particular question types. For example, if I missed several acid/base questions or kinematics questions, then I would go back to my books and review the content and attempt more practice questions. Make sure you go through and determine why you missed particular questions (e.g. missed info in passage or misread question/answer choices) to prevent similar future mistakes.

I also had the TPRH SW, which had a plethora of passages and questions to help me nail down the content. If you're planning on taking FL's soon, you can continue to do additional practice.

Thank you for the advice. After reviewing the content I will do Kaplan Q bank questions and their topical tests to drill the material into my mind. I'm just hoping I have enough time for all this since exam is in a month.