Self-Assessment Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, apologies for a somewhat repetitive thread. I tried to find a more recent thread but it seemed like most of them were quite personalized. So the AAMC Self-Assessments are supposed to be checking for gaps in content knowledge right? So above what % would SDN generally agree that content is fine and its a better return on investment to be doing practice problems + analysis? Above 80%? Above 90%? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, apologies for a somewhat repetitive thread. I tried to find a more recent thread but it seemed like most of them were quite personalized. So the AAMC Self-Assessments are supposed to be checking for gaps in content knowledge right? So above what % would SDN generally agree that content is fine and its a better return on investment to be doing practice problems + analysis? Above 80%? Above 90%? Thanks :)

I would say 85%+ is a start but you still need to go over content. 92%+ and I think you are just a few tweeks away from being good.

Do you guys just take your percentage and just multiply it by the # of questions on the real test and look up the score on the AAMC scales?

In other words, can you just estimate your scores based on the percentage?

Do you guys just take your percentage and just multiply it by the # of questions on the real test and look up the score on the AAMC scales?

You're going to get tired of hearing this, but the SAs are not necessarily predictive of AAMC scores, but they are DEFINITELY predictive of what areas you are weak on/what skills you need to brush up on.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree w/ @benjaminl1nus, it is an indicator of your weaknesses. I will set a min of 75% on each topic (e.g. Muscle System, Eukaryotic Cell, Light and Optics etc) I would say after SA look at your percent correct in each topic, if you get <75% you are probably not that great at content. I say probably because you need to know why you got it wrong. For example, I just got like pretty sh**ty score on work and energy because I misread the questions, whereas I knew my equations and maths.

So in general, your priority will be in the weaker topics <75%
<75% which content you are lacking at and study those more generally. (re-reads, watch videos, do more problems)
<85% do more passages on those topics, content review should be more specific to each topic e.g. you are good at Sound in general but maybe you just need to focus on Doppler Effect.
<90% pretty much general studying, research some more unique problems/experiments, read up on new research. And also content review on even more specific questions you missed. e.g. Good at Optics but bad at refraction? or Good at lenses but bat at estimating their image positions?

Why 75% as a minimum? Because it is ~10 on most MCAT scale conversions so if your weakest topic is <75% you would want to increase it beyond that range.

What benjamin said is right. However, it does correlate to some degree (yeah if you want an idea then do what you just stated).