Self-Guided Post-Bacc: Only Pre-Reqs and sGPA padding. Worried.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noleknight16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done a self-guided post-bacc for the past year now. Pretty much none of the medical school pre-reqs were taken when I began it and I had a sGPA of 2.5 (but 3.7 cGPA). I had previously taken Calculus 1-3 and a couple other science courses while in undergrad.

I took all the pre-reqs and I've also been taking classes like intro Astronomy/Life in the Universe, Psychobiological classes like Neuropsychology/Physiological Psychology and also intro statistics. This has raised my sGPA all the way to around a 3.5.

I am worried that ADCOMs at MD and DO schools might look at my transcripts and knock me because they aren't the typical upper level biology classes. This post-bacc had to be as cost efficient as possible while ensuring I raised my sGPA. I didn't didn't want to be weeded out by a computer when applying for a low sGPA. I figure that if I kill the MCAT, then they know what I'm capable of regardless of strength of post-bacc courseload.

What say you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone needs the same pre-reqs at a grade C- (or C) and above.. If you have extra classes that just so happen to boost your GPA, it shouldn't be a big deal.
I took Tropical Forest Conservation and Stars and Galaxies classes. But I also have pre-reqs + cell bio. I think it will be okay.

Plus, intro astronomy courses might be classified under "other science" which goes in the cGPA rather than the sGPA.

Also, I'm pretty sure any psychology classes (including Neuropsychology or Physiological Psychology) will not be included into your sgpa, just your cgpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I'm pretty sure any psychology classes (including Neuropsychology or Physiological Psychology) will not be included into your sgpa, just your cgpa.

At my university, the classes are Psychobiology (PSB), not Psychology, and in the undergraduate catalog they are found under "Neuroscience".

In the BCPM AMCAS course classification, Astronomy is listed under Physics so I know that will count. In the biology section, there's a subsection for Neuroscience. I would think those classes would go there since they have a ton of biological content in them.

Don't cross post in multiple forums with the same thread.

I think the OP worries too much. Entrance to med school is more about utterly dominating basic sciences, plus the MCAT. There aren't any hidden pre-reqs. If there is some advanced science topic that is important to medicine, med school will teach it tho you.

It seems like we are in a transition period and biochem is becoming a pre-req too now, but that's it for advanced science classes.

Basic science is all I did and I got many interviews.