Self-Identification: To identify or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What is your opinion in regards to the "Self-Identification' options? As an IMG, I am a bit skeptical about this option on ERAS. Frankly, it just should not be there, as it raises some serious concerns. I am not saying discrimination/race is a norm in the system, but nothing is perfect and there is always that 1% exception. Imagine my application is going to this segment of program directors:

-Is it better to list your ethnicity/race to support your application, or not to so as to avoid discrimination? I mean, what if the PD has some problem with one particular race and just has a wrong or bad opinion, and hence won't offer an interview?
-Or maybe, the PD will be impressed as he likes this particular kind of race and hence will offer an interview for sure?

What is a safe bet? Should I mention mine correctly, or just select "Prefer not to say"?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

In my experience with PDs, they like you to be honest about everything so they can put their trust in you. Hiding such information might raise some suspicions on your motivations behind such act while the majority of applicants are revealing their backgrounds. Sometimes revealing such information boost your application if you belong to a race/ethnity that is considered minority. PDs like yo show the ACGME that they have such diversity in their programs. My advice is be open and clear and definitely this will be a positive thing in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
You are (definitely) including your name and (probably) a picture as well, in addition to potentially checking boxes that list what languages you speak. If none of the rest of those show your self-identification, you will go on an interview. Even if there is some kind of merit to the theories of ulterior motives for that box being there, what exactly are you trying to hide by not checking that box that won't be revealed in 1000001 other ways?

Reactions: 2 users
You are (definitely) including your name and (probably) a picture as well, in addition to potentially checking boxes that list what languages you speak. If none of the rest of those show your self-identification, you will go on an interview. Even if there is some kind of merit to the theories of ulterior motives for that box being there, what exactly are you trying to hide by not checking that box that won't be revealed in 1000001 other ways?

Touche!

Yeah, didn't think that through. I think I was just skeptical and afraid. Thanks for the input!