Self study physics for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malamia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in my senior year and taking Calculus now. It'll take me five years to finish my degree and I really want to apply next cycle. I have to take physics next year since it's calculus based. I'm planning to take the MCAT2015 on july and use the summer to study (SN2'd and TPR course). Right now I'm going to a physics class without being enrolled and kind of studying for it sometimes. If I do the same next semester with physics 2 will it be enough to successfully tackle the physics section on the MCAT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wait are you taking the actual course in school 2015-2016 year or 2014-2015? If the latter, how is it self-study?

Wait are you taking the actual course in school 2015-2016 year or 2014-2015? If the latter, how is it self-study?

I'm attending a section right now without being enrolled. I will take the actual course for credits in august 2015, the second part in january 2016. I want to take the MCAT on july 2015.

I'm just not studying as much for the section I'm attending now since I have other classes for which I am being graded.

Please excuse me if I'm not being clear, english isn't my first language.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm attending a section right now without being enrolled. I will take the actual course for credits in august 2015, the second part in january 2016. I want to take the MCAT on july 2015.

I'm just not studying as much for the section I'm attending now since I have other classes for which I am being graded.

Please excuse me if I'm not being clear, english isn't my first language.

What is your Physics background?

None, not even in high school.

I definitely do not recommend self-study then. Excelling in Physics takes intuition of the concepts, which take consistent effort in drilling in. A formal course will force you to really try to understand everything, since a grade is at stake. I've audited courses before but I notice that it's not the same psychologically. I don't consistently try to master the material knowing that I don't get a bad grade if I fail to do so.

Is it possible at all to take Physics this year?

I definitely do not recommend self-study then. Excelling in Physics takes intuition of the concepts, which take consistent effort in drilling in. A formal course will force you to really try to understand everything, since a grade is at stake. I've audited courses before but I notice that it's not the same psychologically. I don't consistently try to master the material knowing that I don't get a bad grade if I fail to do so.

Is it possible at all to take Physics this year?

Sadly, no. My only options are to audit physics I & II and take the MCAT on july or put off med school for another year (which would suck) and formally take the courses.

What do you recommend?

Sadly, no. My only options are to audit physics I & II and take the MCAT on july or put off med school for another year (which would suck) and formally take the courses.

What do you recommend?

In my experience, those who struggle most with studying for the physics portion of the physical sciences are the ones who have the least exposure to Physics. You would already be at a slight disadvantage if you took the course before taking the MCAT. Without it, you're going to have to really put in a lot of effort and time, more than normal, to master the physics concepts on the MCAT.

Ultimately, how well this works will be up to you. Will you put in time and stay focused on your audit? It's easy to convince yourself that you will, but without a grade on the line, it's VERY easy to slack off. My ultimate recommendation is to take a gap year and wait until you have Physics under your belt. You can take advantage of that extra year to take more upper level classes that might help you as well as read dense material and absolutely destroy the verbal section.

If you do not want a gap year under any circumstances, I do hope your study habits and discipline is high. You will need a lot of that this year. :p

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, those who struggle most with studying for the physics portion of the physical sciences are the ones who have the least exposure to Physics. You would already be at a slight disadvantage if you took the course before taking the MCAT. Without it, you're going to have to really put in a lot of effort and time, more than normal, to master the physics concepts on the MCAT.

Ultimately, how well this works will be up to you. Will you put in time and stay focused on your audit? It's easy to convince yourself that you will, but without a grade on the line, it's VERY easy to slack off. My ultimate recommendation is to take a gap year and wait until you have Physics under your belt. You can take advantage of that extra year to take more upper level classes that might help you as well as read dense material and absolutely destroy the verbal section.

If you do not want a gap year under any circumstances, I do hope your study habits and discipline is high. You will need a lot of that this year. :p

I really don't like the idea of a gap year but it seems like it might be a viable option. I still have this semester to evaluate how much I actually learn. I just have to get the fact that I'm not being graded out of my head.

I will definitely take your advice into consideration.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Intuition is key. I suggest the Khan Academy Physical Processes section, TBR study materials and the AAMC practice tests. Proceed chronological through the AAMC tests, 3 - 11. Key to MCAT success is being able to apply the intution garnered from your studying to the esoteric subjects of the passages. This is true for all three sections of the current test. You will see this in the higher numbered practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Intuition is key. I suggest the Khan Academy Physical Processes section, TBR study materials and the AAMC practice tests. Proceed chronological through the AAMC tests, 3 - 11. Key to MCAT success is being able to apply the intution garnered from your studying to the esoteric subjects of the passages. This is true for all three sections of the current test. You will see this in the higher numbered practice tests.
I'll do that! thank you.

Thank you Malamia. To be clear I meant the Physical Processes section of the MCAT Prep portion of the Khan Academy. Keep me informed on your progress.

Get a tutor, or audit the class.

I self taught physics and it took up most of the time I could have used improving other areas. It worked out fine for me but keep in mind that teaching yourself something isn't the same as a professional teaching you.

I tried to self-teach Physics II for the mcat and it did not end well for me. YMMV, though.

If that's what it comes down to, it's definitely possible. I had to self-study because I've been out of school for several years now, and I was lazy and unmotivated in my physics classes, but I also went into it with a defeatist attitude. The physics ended up being my favorite part because I found it the most straightforward part of the MCAT, but it took a while to get there, and things got worse before they got better...

If you do end up taking a class, I suggest getting an MCAT physics book and working that along the way, making sure you get the main ideas.

Good luck.

If that's what it comes down to, it's definitely possible. I had to self-study because I've been out of school for several years now, and I was lazy and unmotivated in my physics classes, but I also went into it with a defeatist attitude. The physics ended up being my favorite part because I found it the most straightforward part of the MCAT, but it took a while to get there, and things got worse before they got better...

If you do end up taking a class, I suggest getting an MCAT physics book and working that along the way, making sure you get the main ideas.

Good luck.

There's a difference between relearning it after not seeing it for years and self-teaching for the first time. Even if you haven't seen it for awhile, the neuronal connections are still there. They just need re-consolidating. Learning for the first time....there is nothing to re-consolidate.