Self Studying MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblahpremeds

MD class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm going to be taking the MCAT 2015 next year. I'm planning on self studying for the exam after having taken all of the recommended pre-req's. I'll most likely be using the mutiple prep book set recently released by Kaplan or TPR. And I'll be working through the single AAMC practice test in the days closest to the exam. If anyone else is self studying for MCAT 2015, please share your plan!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some good plans and I would take them as the foundation and modify it slightly for the new MCAT. As far as materials go, EK, TPR, TBR are the premium materials. I can't imagine MCAT 2015 being so different that you need an entirely new study plan. It's going to be built on years of experience with the old MCAT.

Hi, all.

I'm going to be taking the MCAT 2015 next year. I'm planning on self studying for the exam after having taken all of the recommended pre-req's. I'll most likely be using the mutiple prep book set recently released by Kaplan or TPR. And I'll be working through the single AAMC practice test in the days closest to the exam. If anyone else is self studying for MCAT 2015, please share your plan!

Check this resource out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-2015-discussion.1053559/

It provides a comprehensive view of the new MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
@valkener is right, in my opinion. Just because the test is changing (not too drastically, I might add) it does not mean your approach should. Still review the content books you choose to purchase, practice as much as you can, and try to get a good handle on the language and style of writing that the AAMC uses. That last bit may seem impossible due to the lack of practice resources the AAMC has provided for the new test, but this is actually where taking the old practice tests (#3-11) will come in handy. Not to mention, those tests will test you on things you'll still be expected to know for the new '15 test.

As of right now, I plan on following SN2ed study plan with a few additional materials for the new MCAT sections. Does anyone else think this is a good idea or plan on doing this as well? I plan on taking the MCAT in May by the way.

Last edited:
Hey, I also plan on following a "newer" version of SN2ed's schedule. The changes I will probably make to the schedule are: more time for content review (3 more subjects added), do more practice tests from Kapan, TPR etc instead of the AAMC and only use the last few AAMC practice exams as they will be the most relevant. It would be great if we can come up with an actual modified schedule on this thread for the new version.