Sell me Osteopathic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMH

Hospitalist/Nocturnist Hologram
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a basic understanding of the differences in D.O. vs M.D. philosophy. However, most of the people I've heard talk about osteopathic medicine spend most of their time trying to convince people that it is very similar to M.D.

I'd like to have someone tell me the upsides of osteopathic medicine. Why do you love it. Why pick a D.O. school?

Members don't see this ad.

EMH said:
I have a basic understanding of the differences in D.O. vs M.D. philosophy. However, most of the people I've heard talk about osteopathic medicine spend most of their time trying to convince people that it is very similar to M.D.

I'd like to have someone tell me the upsides of osteopathic medicine. Why do you love it. Why pick a D.O. school?

For me, to have an added treatment option for my patients (OMM) and the different philosophy than allopathic medicine.

EMH said:

I consider OMM is a subspecialty of medicine, perhaps it is "unique" to Osteo but I have heard that more MD are looking into OMM now.

In theory, DO have a better approch to medicine; however in partice, it is very difficult to employ the theory. Since we are in western world, most science skill is based on dissecting problems into smaller pieces, so more often MD will treat/compare patients to a specimen, so in the process we loss the "human effect." I don't believe there is such thing called upside of DO or MD. it depends on how you approch to medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
EMH said:

Maybe I was the only person that found your thread title and post pompous and rude, but why the hell do I or anyone else need to "sell" you on osteopathic medicine.

Do the research, if it sounds like it's for you, then do it. If not, then try something else. For the record, this day and age it is essentially the same thing as allopathic medicine (with OMM added to the curriculum). MD and DO schools now employ holistic methods (even if DOs were the first to incorporate it).

It'sElectric said:
Maybe I was the only person that found your thread title and post pompous and rude, but why the hell do I or anyone else need to "sell" you on osteopathic medicine.

Do the research, if it sounds like it's for you, then do it. If not, then try something else. For the record, this day and age it is essentially the same thing as allopathic medicine (with OMM added to the curriculum). MD and DO schools now employ holistic methods (even if DOs were the first to incorporate it).

Hey It'sElectric I think you just "sold" osteopathic medicine with your post anyway!

It'sElectric said:

I have a sincere intrest in osteopathic medicine. I've done some research, heard a couple lectures, and as you mentioned the feeling I got from everything is that they are about the same. This post is one of the ways I'm trying to get information about it. I value the opinions of people on these boards.
You don't need to sell anyone on osteopathic medicine but someone needs to. I'm not the only pre-med out there who is considering D.O. but doesn't know exactly all the ins and outs.

BTW I've worked in retail my whole life and have an accounting degree so to sell someone something is a term I use loosely. I'm not sure how that is rude.

I applied to both MD and DO schools (without a shot in hell of getting into an MD school) and frankly I thought the DO schools were "friendlier." I initially applied to MD schools, but because MCAT score was so low, I was obviously not getting any responses. I felt completely disconnected from the whole process, and was frustrated that my entire application (including a decent GPA) was being overlooked because I didn't have a good MCAT score. So when I applied to DO schools in December (met a DO in October that agreed to write me an LOR) I was skeptical about spending the additional and putting in the effort. But immediately things were different. The ADCOMs were helpful and made follow up phone calls with me. And as you can tell, I did get interviews and an acceptance, regardless of my MCAT score. It was almost as if it DID matter that the rest of my application was solid, and I was finally given the time of day. After this experience I was alot happier about going to medical school, and felt that being a DO just fit my personality better then being an MD would.

Khenon said:
I applied to both MD and DO schools (without a shot in hell of getting into an MD school) and frankly I thought the DO schools were "friendlier." I initially applied to MD schools, but because MCAT score was so low, I was obviously not getting any responses. I felt completely disconnected from the whole process, and was frustrated that my entire application (including a decent GPA) was being overlooked because I didn't have a good MCAT score. So when I applied to DO schools in December (met a DO in October that agreed to write me an LOR) I was skeptical about spending the additional and putting in the effort. But immediately things were different. The ADCOMs were helpful and made follow up phone calls with me. And as you can tell, I did get interviews and an acceptance, regardless of my MCAT score. It was almost as if it DID matter that the rest of my application was solid, and I was finally given the time of day. After this experience I was alot happier about going to medical school, and felt that being a DO just fit my personality better then being an MD would.
Thank you, that is the kind of information I'm looking for.

I applied to both kinds of schools. I think the reason that you should apply DO is not because it is better than MD, but because it really is the same, and you need to give yourself every opportunity. Getting into med school is tough! It is not wise to limit yourself to one or the other.
The reason pre-meds dont know a lot about DOs is because the MD title is used very often in mainstream media, whereas DO is never used. This is simply because MD has been around much longer and is bigger. The media uses titles that the public will recognize, they dont care about giving DO equal publicity. However, doctors and other professionals realize that DO is the same deal as MD.
I CAN think of two upsides to DO: I agree that DO schools did seem to have a friendlier atmosphere than the MD schools I interviewed at. Also, DO schools tend to have hotter girls.

mtDNA said:
Also, DO schools tend to have hotter girls.

I think D.O. apps just went up.

there's tons of links, FAQs--the "stickies" on DO vs MD ups/downs.

When I was pre-med, I wasn't pre DO or pre MD. I just wanted to be a physician and I had no preference one or the other. I only applied to my state MD school and about 6 DO schools. Besides my MCAT, I had a very solid overall application--academics, volunteering, healthcare experience up the wazoo. I applied to my state school based solely on tuition price and geography. Since my MCAT was low I just applied to the schools that had similar stats of acceptees to mine. I was interviewed at my state MD school and ultimately rejected based SOLELY on my MCAT. So much for my overall package. But by the time I was interviewed at the MD school, I already had multiple acceptances at DO schools so the rejection wasn't a big deal to me. Many people have asked why I didn't retake the MCAT when I had, otherwise, such a strong application. Well, why would I if I can get in a US school with my current score--aside from not having the money or the time? And I did get in.

My experience was that the DO schools were much more laid back than my MD school, for the most part. They also did a better job at "selling" themselves to me. I also feel that they DO look at the overall application. Sometimes it is not ability, potential or laziness that creates a weakness in one's application but circumstance. I think DO schools recognize this and take it into much more consideration. I loved the fact that they seemed to look at me as a person too, not just a number or combination of numbers. That is important to me.

i think on average, you see greater diversity in DO programs. a lot of do students arent the stereotypical nerds!

because of this, we are better looking obviously.

jk. or not.

Khenon said:

I keep hearing about how DO schools are friendlier. In my opinion, thats the biggest pile of bull**** I think I've ever heard. Furthermore, as you mentioned, you got no responses from MD schools....which I presume to mean you didn't interview there. If such is the case, what qualifies your statement that these schools were less friendly? The reason im calling you out is because my allopathic interviews were a hell of a lot more friendly than my osteopathic ones. IN fact, at CCOM, I wanted to punch my interviewer in the damn face.

Additionally, do you feel that allopathic schools were wrong to look over your MCAT score? I certainly do not. I don't know what your MCAT score was, and I could care less, perhaps IM just sick of the, "Can I get in with a 3 on the MCAT," or ,"whats the lowest score of anyone you know that has gotten in."

Members don't see this ad :)
rack said:
i think on average, you see greater diversity in DO programs. a lot of do students arent the stereotypical nerds!

because of this, we are better looking obviously.

jk. or not.

That depends on the kind of diversity you are talking about. Age diversity? Yes. Ethnic diversity? Not so much.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I keep hearing about how DO schools are friendlier. In my opinion, thats the biggest pile of bull**** I think I've ever heard. Furthermore, as you mentioned, you got no responses from MD schools....which I presume to mean you didn't interview there. If such is the case, what qualifies your statement that these schools were less friendly? The reason im calling you out is because my allopathic interviews were a hell of a lot more friendly than my osteopathic ones. IN fact, at CCOM, I wanted to punch my interviewer in the damn face.

Additionally, do you feel that allopathic schools were wrong to look over your MCAT score? I certainly do not. I don't know what your MCAT score was, and I could care less, perhaps IM just sick of the, "Can I get in with a 3 on the MCAT," or ,"whats the lowest score of anyone you know that has gotten in."
I'm sorry my experience makes you so mad. I certainly didn't mean to offend you with my story. I also did not make any type of "right or wrong" conclusions concerning MD schools and my MCAT score. I said it how I meant it . . . it bothered me that my application was ignored because of my MCAT score. Does it mean MD schools are wrong? No. That's their policy. I simply had a better experience with DO schools, and I answered the OP with my story.

FYI: You could have just as easily shared your story, without tearing my post apart.

Buckeye(OH) said:

I interviewed @ 2 DO schools and 3 MD schools, of the bunch, as far as "friendliness" is concerned, I thought KCOM (DO) was the friendliest, followed by PSU (MD), followed by AZCOM (DO), followed by SLU (MD) and lastly U of Ariz (MD)... I think it depends on the program (not just MD vs. DO) and also the friendliness of the applicant! If you're going to be an @ss... you should expect the same in return... :rolleyes:

EMH said:

I like the D.O philosophy. I did apply to M.D. and D.O. schools. I interviewed at both types. I found that I felt more comfortable at the D.O. schools when interacting with current students, teachers, etc. I also want to enter into primary care medicine for the underserved. Only one M.D. school really talked to me about this, though it has been my dream and was a big part of my personal statement.

I'll be honest, some of the D.O. interviews I went to turned me off as much as the M.D. I don't think one is "friendlier" than another, I think it has to do with perception and personality. I wanted to go to a place that had evidently read the items I had perviously sent in, not just asking me to repeat these items to yet another admissions person and a few teachers. Personally for me the interview at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (in Erie) was the worst for me. Each of the people had a page of questions they read word for word and ranked me on a scale of 1-5. I chose PCOM because when I went to their interview it started with "So you wanted to be a dancer when you were four. What changed your mind?" It showed me that they had read my PS, that they could find creative ways to get the same information from me, and put me at ease. When I reflected on the interview, I knew that I wanted to go to a place where I would be able to perform to the best of my abiliy. I think that the most important thing is not M.D. or D.O. but that you are HAPPY no matter where you are. And in the end we are all practicing medicine, right?!

Now that was long-winded. I regress.

Khenon said:
I'm sorry my experience makes you so mad. I certainly didn't mean to offend you with my story. I also did not make any type of "right or wrong" conclusions concerning MD schools and my MCAT score. I said it how I meant it . . . it bothered me that my application was ignored because of my MCAT score. Does it mean MD schools are wrong? No. That's their policy. I simply had a better experience with DO schools, and I answered the OP with my story.

FYI: You could have just as easily shared your story, without tearing my post apart.

Yeah, anyways, did you interview at MD schools?

strawberryfield said:
I interviewed @ 2 DO schools and 3 MD schools, of the bunch, as far as "friendliness" is concerned, I thought KCOM (DO) was the friendliest, followed by PSU (MD), followed by AZCOM (DO), followed by SLU (MD) and lastly U of Ariz (MD)... I think it depends on the program (not just MD vs. DO) and also the friendliness of the applicant! If you're going to be an @ss... you should expect the same in return... :rolleyes:

I had similar friendliness at PSU in '04 when I applied as well. They waitlisted me and didnt reject me until after my first week at CCOM.

Going back to the OP. One reason I love osteopathic medicine is their focus on the body's ability to heal itself, rather than having the patient pop pills :)

Also, I don't think one should have to "sell" you a philosophy. Go with what you think fits YOU as a person. When a patient is deathly ill, MD or DO, you are there to save their life. How you chose the training in order to save that person's life is up to you.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Yeah, anyways, did you interview at MD schools?
No. Did I imply that I interviewed at MD schools? In fact, I believe I said I had pretty much no interaction with MD schools.

I honestly don't know what's up your ass with my post, but you really need to realize that I was JUST sharing my experience. That's it. I didn't make any judgements whatsoever. I answered the OP's question with my story/experience. THAT'S IT!! Get over it.

Khenon said:
No. Did I imply that I interviewed at MD schools? In fact, I believe I said I had pretty much no interaction with MD schools.

I honestly don't know what's up your ass with my post, but you really need to realize that I was JUST sharing my experience. That's it. I didn't make any judgements whatsoever. I answered the OP's question with my story/experience. THAT'S IT!! Get over it.

How do you know who is more friendly if you didnt interview at an MD school?

laboholic said:

This was precisely what I was getting it.

Khenon said:

I dont care what you implied. The fact remains, you didnt interview there, thus you can't make a comparison.

EMH said:

I am a student at DMU just about to start 2nd year. When I started, I was not at all sold on OMT. But as I learned more and more about the subject, it began to make alot of sense to me, AND I began to see results and positive feedback from those whom I treated with OMT.

OMT is an additional tool in your medical bag. Not only can you give your patient a prescription or schedule them for a surgery/procedure, you also have the option to treat them with OMT. For example, if a patient comes in with asthma you can give them a Rx for a bronchodilator, but you can also treat them in the office with OMT techniques such as rib raising or pectoral traction that helps their breathing capacity and stimulates the sympathetic nervous system (which also helps in bronchodilation). If a patient comes in with low back pain you can prescribe an analgesic and/or muscle relaxor, and you can also treat them with soft tissue techniques or HVLA (i.e. "crack their back") which will help to restore structure and decrease symptoms. The DO has more treatment options open to them than the MD.

OMT is based upon the relationship between structure and function. If a vertebrae is out of position there will be a corresponding decrease in function (decrease blood flow to the area, decreased lymphatic return...). OMT corrects this and optimizes function. And again, when I started I was a complete skeptic. But I have seen (as a result of my own treatments as well as others) many many examples of positive results from OMT that I am now very grateful that I have this additional tool. Patients don't always need ten's of thousands of dollars of procedures in order to feel better. Sometimes it is simply a matter of placing your hands on them (check it out for yourself).

If you have to be sold on becoming a D.O. then my advice is to go to allopathic school. There is no difference, D.O. students take both boards, USMLE and COMLEX so you have to decide.

laboholic said:

Why don't you guys take a chill and leave khenon alone. He/she was just making an observation based on their communication pre-interview with the schools.

As a comprehensive Emergency Medical Hologram, I find it strange that you were not programmed with both the allopathic and osteopathic principles of patient care, then you could make such a comparison based on your own database of knowledge. Are there no D.O's in the 23rd century?

i see considerable ethnic diversity in DO programs. I dunno, I guess theres not much difference in that allos have that too. By diversity i meant in interests, age, personalities, all that garbage. Thanks!

$.02

That's my final offer.

yasha83 said:
As a comprehensive Emergency Medical Hologram, I find it strange that you were not programmed with both the allopathic and osteopathic principles of patient care, then you could make such a comparison based on your own database of knowledge. Are there no D.O's in the 23rd century?
roflmao.gif

Thank you for the good posts here most of you. Sorry I stired up all this agression.

EMH said:
Thank you for the good posts here most of you. Sorry I stired up all this agression.

There have been some decent answers on here, but one thing I wanted to comment on that may come up when you talk to allopathic students...

"DO's don't match as well as MD's."

Yes and no.
The statistics are obviously skewed because the number of DO schools and the number of MD schools are so different. Let's say you have 25 DO schools and 125 MD schools... this suggests that for every residency position, there will be 5 MD students for every 1 DO student. Therefore, it makes plenty of sense that MD students "match better" than DO students... there are more allopathic candidates! To offset this, you have the osteopathic residencies that are only open to DO students -- although I never seem to see anything on SDN by a DO student adamant about matching at an osteopathic residency.

The word on the street is that DO and MD are considered equals, but some residency PD's seem to feel that, all other things (research, LOR's) being roughly equal, DO applicants should really have a higher USMLE score than MD applicants. So obviously things are not entirely equal. For instance, I have heard that the University of Maryland is not DO-friendly.

The good news is that the word is also that DO-unfriendliness is diminishing AND if you look at the matches, you'll see DO students matching at places like Yale, Hopkins, Darmouth, NYU, Mayo, etc. Sure, no MGH but that's hard to match into even if you go to an MD school and I don't think anyone is crying in their beer over not matching at the University of Maryland.

Personally, if I become a DO student, and I'd love to be a DO student, I would definitely apply to the allopathic match as well as the osteopathic match. I would love to do a residency at a place like Dartmouth because one, I know they have good training there (scutwork.com) and secondly, I believe the name value would help me get into a respectable group practice after residency.

I don't imagine myself having to explain about the training at Dartmouth the way I might have to if I matched at a small community hospital affiliated with, say, COMP. But training is training and aptitude with clinical procedures would definitely go further than mediocre results and a shiny name.

Anyway, something to think about. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

EMH said:

Hi there,

When I saw your original post title I was a little skeptical of your intentions, but after reading your question and learning that you had a background in retail it made more sense.

If you have a week with a schedule that is not "loaded" I highly recommend reading The DO's by Norman G.

Like many medical school applicants I was not well informed about osteopathy until after unsuccessfully applying to MD schools. When I finally looked deeper into it one of the first steps I took was to read that book and in a way it "sold" me the profession. After reading the book, I did not only feel that the two paths were equal but I actually felt that osteopathy was more compatible with my personal beliefs about medicine (in the emphasis that the body has the capability to heal itself). So my feeling after reading the book, along with talking to D.O.'s in person was a little regret that I was not well informed about osteopathy earlier in my life and shame that I let the stigma of possibly having different letters after my name prevent me from exploring all aspects of medicine.

I hope you take my advice and get your hands on a copy of that book. It is very easy to read and pretty short as well. When you are reading it see if you are lured in or repelled by the stories told in the book (that will help you decide if osteopathy is for you). After reading it you'll be a step ahead of most applicants to D.O. school if you still choose to apply. Best of luck!

Oculus Sinistra said:
...I don't think anyone is crying in their beer over not matching at the University of Maryland.

:laugh: sorry but... that made me laugh out loud! :thumbup:

EMH said:

I think Ebay may have a good deal on that.