Seminal Papers in Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shibbyboi182

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preceptor is a neurologist, and given that its my #1 choice, asked me to help with a small task of putting together a list of the seminal papers. I realize this is going to vary across sub-specialty, but I'm wondering what ya'll consider the important papers in the specialty. The one that came to mind for me at first was the NINDS TPA paper for ischemic stroke.

Members don't see this ad.

Small task? Ha!

You're going to need to go a lot deeper than the December 1995 tPA paper. Think Charcot. Think Trousseau and his treatise on phlegmasia alba dolens. Some papers written over a hundred years ago still shape what we do every day. Those are seminal.

Think about articles like this:

Birkmayer, W. and Hornykiewicz, O. The L-3,4- dioxyphenylalanine (DOPA)-effect in Parkinson-akinesia. Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, 1961;73:787-788. Good luck even finding that without a librarian.

There are many important papers in neurology, but some may be a matter of opinion or bias. Here are a few:

Movement Disorders
Braak H et al. Staging of brain pathology related to sporadic Parkinson’s disease. Neurobiology of Aging 2003; 24:197
Kinnier Wilson SA. Progressive lenticular degeneration: a familiar nervous disease associated with cirrhosis of the liver. Brain 1912

Please note that Wilson was one of the first neurologists to film his patients.

Neurocritical/Vascular
Hemphill JC 3rd. et al. The ICH score: a simple, reliable grading scale for intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 2001; 32: 891
Levy DE et al. Predicting outcome from hypoxic-ischemic coma. JAMA 1985; 253:1420

You may want to check Neurotree dot org for names of famous neurologists and their trainees for author suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is no small task. I've never seen anyone culminate a comprehensive list for all of Neurology. Of course these lists are a matter of opinion, but here are many of the seminal papers in stroke in alphabetical order for your reading pleasure:
ACAS, ACST, ARISTOTLE, ATLANTIS, AVERROES, AVERT, CADISS, CAPRIE, CREST, DECIMAL, DESTINY, ECASS III, ESCAPE, EXCITE, EXTEND-IA, HAMLET, IMS III, INTERACT II, ISAT, IST III, LEAPS, MATCH, MR-CLEAN, NASCET, NINDS TPA, PROFESS, PROGRESS, RE-LY, ROCKET-AF, SAMMPRIS, SPAF III, SPARCL, STICH II, WARCEF, WASID

Yes, this is no small task. I've never seen anyone culminate a comprehensive list for all of Neurology. Of course these lists are a matter of opinion, but here are many of the seminal papers in stroke in alphabetical order for your reading pleasure:
ACAS, ACST, ARISTOTLE, ATLANTIS, AVERROES, AVERT, CADISS, CAPRIE, CREST, DECIMAL, DESTINY, ECASS III, ESCAPE, EXCITE, EXTEND-IA, HAMLET, IMS III, INTERACT II, ISAT, IST III, LEAPS, MATCH, MR-CLEAN, NASCET, NINDS TPA, PROFESS, PROGRESS, RE-LY, ROCKET-AF, SAMMPRIS, SPAF III, SPARCL, STICH II, WARCEF, WASID

Don't forget AFFIRM -- the death knell for rhythm control in non-valvular AF. Put away the propafenone! Stroke incidence was no different between rate/rhythm control, but most of the strokes happened in patients who had either low INRs on warfarin or had stopped warfarin per study protocol after being in sinus for 4 weeks on rhythm control. So indirect evidence that rhythm control is a poor strategy for stroke prevention in non-valvular paroxysmal AF.

I don't really care if you think this trial belongs in your list, I only made this comment because it illustrates how insurmountable it is to try to carve out a list of "seminal papers" even in a pretty well-defined subfield of Neurology like stroke.

And if you asked someone in England, where stroke is often seen as a lower form of the science of neurology, they might scoff at this list of studies in favor of more work from Queen's Square and Pitie-Salpetriere, which to many is what constitutes "real neurology".