Senate Bill would restrict Caribbean access to US student loans.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...would-face-u-dot-s-dot-loan-hurdle-under-bill

I think this is a good idea...or perhaps a middle ground where students can only borrow up to the amount of the average US medical student. I don't want to prevent Caribbean students from pursuing their dream, but I don't want for-profit medical schools charging whatever they want to prey on students with limited options. Access to US student loan funding allows them to charge exorbitant tuition without being able to promise a career to their students that will allow them to pay back those large sums.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Only give a max of $25K loan money per year until after students pass USMLE step 1 seems like a good compromise. It would force Caribbean schools to reduce their first 2 year tuition rates and only allow people in that have 1. Money to Burn and/or 2. That they think will actually make it.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that all for-profit 'educational' institutions should be barred from being able to accept student loans. It just incentives them to take advantage of students by having them take out a lot of loans to pay for extraordinary overpriced tuition and a degree that is in all likelihood useless. Their students graduate with limited actual value added to their lives, but a mountain of debt. Community colleges are significantly cheaper and are actually accredited, providing in many cases a superior education. As for Caribbean med schools, you only need to spend a day on SDN to get the general consensus on those schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we'll be seeing a lot more stuff like this in the future. Also, don't be surprised if state-level restrictions on licensure and rotations start appearing. MD and DO schools are getting tired of Carib diploma mills coming in with pockets bulging with cash and buying out rotation and residency slots.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...would-face-u-dot-s-dot-loan-hurdle-under-bill

I think this is a good idea...or perhaps a middle ground where students can only borrow up to the amount of the average US medical student. I don't want to prevent Caribbean students from pursuing their dream, but I don't want for-profit medical schools charging whatever they want to prey on students with limited options. Access to US student loan funding allows them to charge exorbitant tuition without being able to promise a career to their students that will allow them to pay back those large sums.

Reactions: 4 users
I think we'll be seeing a lot more stuff like this in the future. Also, don't be surprised if state-level restrictions on licensure and rotations start appearing. MD and DO schools are getting tired of Carib diploma mills coming in with pockets bulging with cash and buying out rotation and residency slots.

I hope that you are right. I suppose for some states this might not be an issue, but I know there are a lot of unhappy medical students in New York. And the recent influx of Ross students at UMDNJ sites makes me worried for New Jersey. While it might make sense for some of these states to impose restrictions on licensure and rotations for IMGs if the sites are getting too crowded, I would not be surprised if this is yet another case where lobbyists will prevent the passage of any common sense legislation. SGU/Ross have a lot of money (most of which the US government gave them), and in our country that money adds up to a whole lot of free speech. ;)

My guess is that NY and CA will be the first to enact restrictions.

I hope that you are right. I suppose for some states this might not be an issue, but I know there are a lot of unhappy medical students in New York. And the recent influx of Ross students at UMDNJ sites makes me worried for New Jersey. While it might make sense for some of these states to impose restrictions on licensure and rotations for IMGs if the sites are getting too crowded, I would not be surprised if this is yet another case where lobbyists will prevent the passage of any common sense legislation. SGU/Ross have a lot of money (most of which the US government gave them), and in our country that money adds up to a whole lot of free speech. ;)

I love it. However, I don't see how this will help since the three exempt schools (St. George, Ross and AUC) are the ones that take the majority of American students and buy rotation sites. No school should be excluded.

I love it. However, I don't see how this will help since the three exempt schools (St. George, Ross and AUC) are the ones that take the majority of American students and buy rotation sites. No school should be excluded.

I was under the impression that these schools are exempt from the US financial aid requirements now, but the whole point of the bill is to change that.

I was under the impression that these schools are exempt from the US financial aid requirements now, but the whole point of the bill is to change that.

You are right. I eyeballed he entire article and misunderstood what they meant by this exemption.

Caribbean professional schools are simply dangerous (pretty dramatic, right?).

They are the worst kind of educational institution- a place where Student X with a 2.0 and 20 MCAT can matriculate into an expensive program, funded by tax dollars, where US residency placement is only 80% (taking medical schools as an example). What happens to the students that fail out/voluntarily leave after a few years? That's big debt with no means to pay it down. It's the type of financial burden that can cripple someone's life, but increase shareholder wealth.

I don't mean to be cruel, but not everyone is capable of becoming a physician (poor work-ethic, lack of maturity, lower intellect, etc...). Thus, not everyone should be given the chance. The one benefit to these schools is how they provide the truly-motivated student, who has a poor academic record, a foot in the door.

Otherwise, these schools are simply parasites (I wanted to end just as dramatically ;) ).

Caribbean professional schools are simply dangerous (pretty dramatic, right?).

They are the worst kind of educational institution- a place where Student X with a 2.0 and 20 MCAT can matriculate into an expensive program, funded by tax dollars, where US residency placement is only 80% (taking medical schools as an example). What happens to the students that fail out/voluntarily leave after a few years? That's big debt with no means to pay it down. It's the type of financial burden that can cripple someone's life, but increase shareholder wealth.

I don't mean to be cruel, but not everyone is capable of becoming a physician (poor work-ethic, lack of maturity, lower intellect, etc...). Thus, not everyone should be given the chance. The one benefit to these schools is how they provide the truly-motivated student, who has a poor academic record, a foot in the door.

Otherwise, these schools are simply parasites (I wanted to end just as dramatically ;) ).

I don't think you'll get much disagreement on this forum. My current PCP is a graduate of St. George's, and he really is very excellent with patients and up-to-date with the literature. But he graduated in the late 1980s. I think that Caribbean schools once served a good purpose when there were not enough seats in US schools and before the tuition got out of control.

But we have enough schools/seats in the US now to fill all the residency spots available (or close to it). Medical education has evolved and I don't think a Caribbean education is even remotely worth it for anyone.

Even if you are very capable and smart but just have a troubled past of bad grades, retake those classes and apply DO.

The only friend I have in the Caribbean is there due to lack of tolerance for delayed gratification. Rather than spend another year improving his application and developing new skills, he just HAD to go to medical school. That kind of thinking is probably not conducive to a career in medicine...

New bill introduced last week...I thought the perspective was kind of harsh. I see plenty of fellows and residents in competitive specialties from Ross, St. George, etc but I think selling the dream to an a naive premed who can't find a residency spot later is criminal as well. Do you think this will pass and if so, do you support it?

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/m...-doctor-wannabes-can-pay-get-certified?page=1

John Sandman said:
This is How Unqualified Doctor Wannabes Can Pay To Get Certified

NEW YORK (MainStreet) — You want to be a doctor, but your GPA blows and your MCAT score isn't bailing you out.

Not to worry.

You can still head to some of the biggest little medical schools in the Caribbean, 1,500 miles off the Florida coast where they'll take you even when American medical schools won't. And they do it using tax dollars through federal student loans. One of them, Ross University Medical School, has been in business since 1978.

Ross and four others have been identified by Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) in a bill introduced last week to close a loophole that gives special treatment to these Caribbean medical schools, who cashed in on over $450 million in Department of Education Title IV funding last year.

The Foreign Medical School Accountability Act would require five Caribbean medical schools - four of which are for-profit institutions - to meet the same minimum requirements that every other medical school outside of the U.S. and Canada must meet in order to receive federal funding. All off-shore schools would be required to have 60% non-U.S. citizen enrollment and a 75% pass rate on the U.S. Medical Licensing Exam.

"Congress has failed taxpayers and students by subsidizing these Caribbean schools with billions in federal dollars for years without adequate accountability and oversight," said Durbin. "Despite not meeting these minimum standards, the biggest three for-profit schools impacted by my bill - St. George's, Ross, and American University of the Caribbean - have taken in two-thirds of federal funding that went to foreign medical schools. These schools are just another example of the systemic problem we have with for-profit colleges trying to make a profit off of the federal taxpayers while saddling students with questionable degrees and unreasonable debt loads that follow them for the rest of their lives."

Off-shore medical schools have long been thought to be the purveyors of sub-standard education.

In 1978 New York commodities trader Robert Ross opened a medical school--Ross University--in Dominica, an island in the Lesser Antiles region of the Caribbean Sea, after an employee complained that his son couldn't get into a stateside medical school. Some 22 years later, a group of New York investors bought the med school and a veterinary school, then sold it to DeVry in 2003 for just over $300 million.

In 2009, the Tampa Tribune reported that DeVry, better known for trade schools that concentrated on information technology, reported $165.7 million in after-tax income in 2008. But the company also reported an additional $140 million in tax-free income from the Ross med school operations.

Fast forward to September 2013.

Bloomberg Markets reported that two DeVry-owned foreign med schools – American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) and Ross University School of Medicine – continue to make hay by admitting hundreds of U.S. med school rejects. Student debt at AUC averages $253,000 compared to U.S. medical schools where the average is $170,000. DeVry's schools are approved by the Department of Education's National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation, which reviews standards to accredit schools in foreign countries and determines whether they stack up to their American counterparts. At the end of the day--and for years on end--these off shore schools have been getting a pass.

The attrition rate at U.S. medical schools averages 3% annually. At DeVry's two Caribbean medical schools it's 20% at AUC and 27% at Ross. DeVry graduates often have difficulty finding a residency – mandatory for practicing medicine in the United States. In 2013, graduates trained by these schools had a residency match rate of 53% compared to 94% of graduates of U.S. medical schools—probably because their hope of ever practicing medicine was slim in the first place. Taxpayers pay the freight.

"The only thing harder than graduating with four years of medical school debt is not graduating and still having one or two years of medical school debt from these schools," said Durbin. "I have a message for those schools down in the sunny Caribbean who may have thought they could continue to exploit taxpayers and students without anybody noticing – Congress is watching."

But can they do more than watch? Durbin spokesperson Christina Mulka stopped short of saying that the goal was to shut these schools down but said that the Durbin bill would be a significant step toward curbing these abuses. A Department of Education spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

--Written by John Sandman for MainStreet

I can't even imagine how much cash Caribbean schools are shoveling at Congress to try to stall this bill ASMAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't even imagine how much cash Caribbean schools are shoveling at Congress to try to stall this bill ASMAP.

I don't know how much luck they'll have. Priority needs to be given to students who have trained on US soil even just from an economic standpoint. There just isn't going to be enough room for Caribbean trained students in the US and Canada anymore with the vast expansion of Allo and Osteo programs. If congress were to slow down this bill they would be shooting their future selves in the foot.

I just can't comprehend why anybody would go off to the Caribbean anymore. Are we so petty as future physicians that we would risk huge debt, sub par education and possibility of no GME just because it would result in a MD over a DO?

"All off-shore schools would be required to have 60% non-U.S. citizen enrollment"

I guess this might explain the INSANE amount of marketing Ross has been doing on Canadian radio stations lately.

Edit: I'd also like to mention that the tittle of this article is pretty trollish and unprofessional.

Last edited:
I don't know how much luck they'll have. Priority needs to be given to students who have trained on US soil even just from an economic standpoint. There just isn't going to be enough room for Caribbean trained students in the US and Canada anymore with the vast expansion of Allo and Osteo programs. If congress were to slow down this bill they would be shooting their future selves in the foot.

I just can't comprehend why anybody would go off to the Caribbean anymore. Are we so petty as future physicians that we would risk huge debt, sub par education and possibility of no GME just because it would result in a MD over a DO?

"All off-shore schools would be required to have 60% non-U.S. citizen enrollment"

I guess this might explain the INSANE amount of marketing Ross has been doing on Canadian radio stations lately.

Edit: I'd also like to mention that the tittle of this article is pretty trollish and unprofessional.
I'm not sure of this because I don't have stats to back it up, but I would imagine that a lot of the kids who end up in the Caribbean probably didn't have the numbers/ECs/right stuff to cut it for DO admissions. Probably not all, but many of them, I'd wager.

Going Carib was already unthinkable; now it's utter lunacy. The Federal spigot needs to be turned off.

I don't have a problem with these schools, educating physicians, but they should be required to meet similar standards that US schools do if they want to accept US loans. They should be required to have the same attrition rate among other things similar to US schools. There is no doubt they are feasting on people who do not have a realistic idea of what it requires to become a physician. For profit schools don't both me if they work fairly, but it seems like things have gotten out of control. Perhaps establishing a minimum MCAT to receive federal aid would be a good idea, nothing super high, but I don't think 24, 25, or 26 is unreasonable. If you can't get that score, you won't get federal loans. If the school does not meet certain requirements they have to credit some of the money back to the student loans.

I don't have a problem with these schools, educating physicians, but they should be required to meet similar standards that US schools do if they want to accept US loans. They should be required to have the same attrition rate among other things similar to US schools. There is no doubt they are feasting on people who do not have a realistic idea of what it requires to become a physician. For profit schools don't both me if they work fairly, but it seems like things have gotten out of control. Perhaps establishing a minimum MCAT to receive federal aid would be a good idea, nothing super high, but I don't think 24, 25, or 26 is unreasonable. If you can't get that score, you won't get federal loans. If the school does not meet certain requirements they have to credit some of the money back to the student loans.

Tell that to the couple thousand students who get in to allopathic schools in the US. Most are probably SES disadvantaged and URM who probably need all that federal loans.

Tell that to the couple thousand students who get in to allopathic schools in the US. Most are probably SES disadvantaged and URM who probably need all that federal loans.

If they are going to US schools then they can get federal loans.

Ahh, as I predicted, the net is starting to close on the diploma mills.

I have a suspicion that the states will get into the act as well, not just the Feds.

New bill introduced last week...I thought the perspective was kind of harsh. I see plenty of fellows and residents in competitive specialties from Ross, St. George, etc but I think selling the dream to an a naive premed who can't find a residency spot later is criminal as well. Do you think this will pass and if so, do you support it?

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/m...-doctor-wannabes-can-pay-get-certified?page=1

More discussion on this thread that I started last week:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...caribbean-access-to-us-student-loans.1045234/

The article from businessweek is a lot less outrageous in its tone as well... which is either good or bad depending on your attention span :]

This is crucial! I just interviewed for a job where the regional hiring manager withdrew from St. George's after two years and is now stuck in an administrative job for the next decade until his loans (which are probably similar to the TOTAL debt for someone earning a US MD degree, despite only attending for 2 years) are paid off.

This gentleman had outstanding extracurriculars and a research resume to die for, very personable, etc. I would go so far as to say that in terms of ECs, he is far more worthy of acceptance to medical school than I am. But guess what? He had grade/MCAT issues (not sure which.. I suspect MCAT issues) and ended up at St. George's. His dreams are crushed and he will have a monthly payment to remind him of the mistake for a long time to come. Don't be that guy.

I would like to add that if you live in Illinois, please share your thoughts on this legislation with Dick Durbin.

I'm not sure of this because I don't have stats to back it up, but I would imagine that a lot of the kids who end up in the Caribbean probably didn't have the numbers/ECs/right stuff to cut it for DO admissions. Probably not all, but many of them, I'd wager.

Going Carib was already unthinkable; now it's utter lunacy. The Federal spigot needs to be turned off.

I would like to think this, but I knew some people in college who either very seriously considered the Carib. or actually went there because they felt like getting something other than an MD was unthinkable. Obviously, they weren't very educated on the issue, but the pressure from parents and the "shame" really exists with people who don't get on SDN, don't read up on these issues, etc. There are a lot of premeds who get to the end of college and have never heard of a DO.

I would like to think this, but I knew some people in college who either very seriously considered the Carib. or actually went there because they felt like getting something other than an MD was unthinkable. Obviously, they weren't very educated on the issue, but the pressure from parents and the "shame" really exists with people who don't get on SDN, don't read up on these issues, etc. There are a lot of premeds who get to the end of college and have never heard of a DO.
Yes, but how many of them actually make it into med school? Think about it - if these kids really are super clueless, one would gather that their application is not very well put together either. Poor education about matters of critical pre-med relevance translates to poor preparation for the app cycle. These kids are probably not coming to the table with a 3.35/29 and solid leadership/clinicial exp/research. And even those numbers are becoming a little low for DO programs, which have remained competitive despite increasing enrollment.

I'm just saying that in many (perhaps even most) cases, the kids who end up Carib may not realistically have even had the option of DO stateside, and this is true whether they knew that option existed or not. Of course, if they had been a bit savvier, they might have been able to make it through grade replacement/stronger ECs, but then, if they had been a bit savvier, the Carib option never would have been on the table to begin with.

What do you think? The parental pressure/shame aspect I did not consider and I'm sure that that actually does result in potentially DO-worthy candidates going Carib, as ridiculously poor of a decision as that is.

Let me preface this by saying that I have met some docs who came from the Carib that are great. And not all students who go there "have no business in med school." There are some hardworking, intelligent and compassionate people who will make great docs that go to the islands.

BUT...
I am for cutting off federal tax dollars to for-profit diploma mills whose best interest is not educating students. Obscene attrition rates, low match rates, and questionable admission standards can be backed by private loans someone wanting to "fund their dream." If they can meet US school standards then perhaps they should be considered for federal funding. As taxpayers we shouldn't fund predatory for-profit schemes where, in some school's cases, the MAJORITY of the borrowers are defaulting. It doesn't make sense.

Yeah, they are probably not the type of DO applicants on the upper end of the talent pool. I'm thinking of someone who has decent grades (maybe 3.3-4ish), and a low MCAT (maybe 24-25), decent ECs. They are clearly not MD competitive barring some kind of miracle, and they are borderline DO (for some schools), but could possibly swing it. Or, they could be much more DO competitive with a gap year but don't want to put forth the effort.

I think sometimes premeds really don't know or don't want to know how tough they'll have it as a future carib grad, and they just have blinders on no matter what. Its hard to image someone making that decision on SDN, but before I started getting on here, I was so much less informed about what going to the carib really meant.

But yeah, some of them are way below that level of competency and those are probably the first ones to contribute to the high attrition rate once they get there. Who knows, I wish there was some data about carib. matriculants. Oh wait...its the wild west down there.
Non-sequitur, but I was scrolling through a Carib school's FAQ page the other day (I can't remember which one, I looked for it) and couldn't believe some of the questions they had listed there. Like at first it was normal stuff like about admissions criteria, residency match prospects, financial aid, etc. But then it started to go really off the deep end. "Q: Do the room contain working air conditioning? A: Yes all rooms are equipped with window-mounted air conditioning" "Q: do the dormitories have nets to keep away biting insects? A: Yes the dormitories have nets near the sleeping areas to keep out biting insects"

There were other, lulzier questions but I can't remember them :(. It's just one of those kinda things... the fact that a questions like that would be frequently asked in the first place is pretty scary

Good, it's about time this loophole was shut off.

and now you're violating the equal protection clause.

Access to federal financial aid is not a fundamental constitutional right; thus, the regulation is subject to rational basis review rather than strict scrutiny. I think the differential treatment has a rational basis (i.e. excluding schools who have shown to be high risk leading to defaults on student loans that the federal government must now pay).

If they put a minimum board pass/match rate for these schools before they provide them with federal funding the schools will probably just start accepting candidates with better gpas/mcats/ecs. Which will mean, eventually, the schools will be worth going to. Not a bad thing at all.

If they put a minimum board pass/match rate for these schools before they provide them with federal funding the schools will probably just start accepting candidates with better gpas/mcats/ecs. Which will mean, eventually, the schools will be worth going to. Not a bad thing at all.
If they did that eventually there would be no incentive to go Carib because admissions standards would be equivalent. Right now the only reason people go Carib is because they couldn't or didn't want to run the US MD/DO gauntlet.

The idea of a worthwhile medical education, generally speaking, in the Caribbean is in my opinion antithetical to the existence of these for-profit institutions, and this is especially true when you consider their business model which relies on tuition from pre-clinical dropouts to finance clinical rotation positions for the smaller number of students that advance to 3rd year.

Going through this very stressful application cycle, I am sure that there're countless qualified applicants who got rejected. I respect the ones who go Caribbean and try their best to achieve their dream. With that being said, I feel disgusted at the way those schools doing business. 800-900 students per year at one school. They are praying on pre-med dreams and getting rich on these poor students' huge debt and despair. Seriously how can they sleep at night?

Going through this very stressful application cycle, I am sure that there're countless qualified applicants who got rejected. I respect the ones who go Caribbean and try their best to achieve their dream. With that being said, I feel disgusted at the way those schools doing business. 800-900 students per year at one school. They are praying on pre-med dreams and getting rich on these poor students' huge debt and despair. Seriously how can they sleep at night?

very comfortable, very expensive mattresses and nothing but the best Down comforters.

Reactions: 3 users
and now you're violating the equal protection clause.

The US government not providing loans for students attending foreign institutions does not violate equal protection. Seriously dude, do a little research before posting something so ridiculously inaccurate.

The US government not providing loans for students attending foreign institutions does not violate equal protection. Seriously dude, do a little research before posting something so ridiculously inaccurate.

Except AUC and Ross is owned and operated by DeVry, a U.S. based business, in a foreign location. Under your logic, Apple has factories in China so it's foreign as well.

Except the institution is run by DeVry, a U.S. based business, in a foreign location. Under your logic, Apple has factories in China so it's foreign as well.
Do you have any idea about what you are even talking about?

Reactions: 2 users
Except AUC and Ross is owned and operated by DeVry, a U.S. based business, in a foreign location. Under your logic, Apple has factories in China so it's foreign as well.
Even if that argument was even remotely relevant, which it isn't at all, SGU, another of the "big 3" (lol) is not operated by a US company, nor are many if not most of the other Caribbean schools, most of which are still currently eligible for Federal loans. Lace 'em up.

It doesn't really matter if the schools are eligible for federal loan, but the number of US citizen/permanent residents enrolled in it because only they are eligible for federal loans. Since a majority are enrolled in the big three, with two of them owned by US based companies, a system to cherry pick medical schools for federal loans via MCAT score that only applies to schools located in the Caribbean does raise the issue of violating equal protection clause. This was in response to post #16 and 18 btw, not the currently proposed legislation.

@darkjedi, yes I do know what I'm talking about. If you have anything substantial to contribute, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter if the schools are eligible for federal loan, but the number of US citizen/permanent residents enrolled in it because only they are eligible for federal loans. Since a majority are enrolled in the big three, with two of them owned by US based companies, a system to cherry pick medical schools for federal loans via MCAT score that only applies to schools located in the Caribbean does raise the issue of violating equal protection clause. This was in response to post #16 and 18 btw, not the currently proposed legislation.

@darkjedi, yes I do know what I'm talking about. If you have anything substantial to contribute, I'm all ears.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's kinda based on a really liberal interpretation of that clause. Financial aid isn't a right under U.S. law. You have to meet certain criteria before you're eligible for financial aid, one of which is being enrolled in an "eligible program." You can shift around the meaning of "eligible" all you want without violating equal protection.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's kinda based on a really liberal interpretation of that clause. Financial aid isn't a right under U.S. law. You have to meet certain criteria before you're eligible for financial aid, one of which is being enrolled in an "eligible program." You can shift around the meaning of "eligible" all you want without violating equal protection.
Exalt

Right, as long as "eligible program" criteria is applied exactly the same amongst all schools. Telling one school that their student with 24 MCAT isn't allowed to receive federal aid while telling another school that their student is eligible for federal aid only because they are located within US soil doesn't seem right nor a very liberal interpretation of equal protection, which is what I was saying earlier.

Right, as long as "eligible program" criteria is applied exactly the same amongst all schools. Telling one school that their student with 24 MCAT isn't allowed to receive federal aid while telling another school that their student is eligible for federal aid only because they are located within US soil doesn't seem right nor a very liberal interpretation of equal protection, which is what I was saying earlier.

Dude, it was a possible solution to prevent the predatory institutions from feeding on the dreams of failed US applicants. Being located within the US is a big deal. You act as if that doesn't make any difference. Why should US $$ go to fund tuition at a foreign school? Establishing baseline criteria for medical schools to be eligible to receive federal loans is a method to control this problem. An example was scoring a 24 on the MCAT which is not unreasonable and its effect would barely be felt for US schools, there wouldn't be any double standards.

You can try to create your legal BS argument based on faulty reasoning, but you're just going in circles with yourself. Anyone who has basic reasoning abilities understands that.

Why should US $$ go to fund tuition at a foreign school?

AUC and Ross are only foreign in that they are located in a foreign location, but still a US business/for profit higher education. They are as foreign as University of Phoenix, which also received millions of DOE loans.

Establishing baseline criteria for medical schools to be eligible to receive federal loans is a method to control this problem. An example was scoring a 24 on the MCAT which is not unreasonable and its effect would barely be felt for US schools, there wouldn't be any double standards.

Telling a US based organization that runs a school in Caribbean that they can't receive federal loans because they didn't meet the 24 MCAT while allowing another US based organization that runs a school in the States that they are eligible for federal loan is a clear double standard. This is purely based on your notion that Caribbean schools are evil and predatory, which I agree, but such opinion would never stand up in court and I'm sure they can find a few success stories where they can refute that assertion quite easily.

Dude, it was a possible solution to prevent the predatory institutions from feeding on the dreams of failed US applicants.

Your method will cut off funding for non-US affiliated schools, but all it will do is funnel those students to Ross and AUC, and they will thank you for bringing more business to their schools.

AUC and Ross are only foreign in that they are located in a foreign location, but still a US business/for profit higher education. They are as foreign as University of Phoenix, which also received millions of DOE loans.

Telling a US based organization that runs a school in Caribbean that they can't receive federal loans because they didn't meet the 24 MCAT while allowing another US based organization that runs a school in the States that they are eligible for federal loan is a clear double standard. This is purely based on your notion that Caribbean schools are evil and predatory, which I agree, but such opinion would never stand up in court and I'm sure they can find a few success stories where they can refute that assertion quite easily.

Your method will cut off funding for non-US affiliated schools, but all it will do is funnel those students to Ross and AUC, and they will thank you for bringing more business to their schools.
Maybe u should switch to pre-law brah it sounds like u have a brilliant legal mind

Maybe u should switch to pre-law brah it sounds like u have a brilliant legal mind

This guy could solve the abortion and gay marriage problems amongst many others. Someone should tell him he is picking the wrong career.

Oh em gee! *Dashing off to sign up for LSAT* Harvard Law here I come.

Man, you guys are hilarious. That the best you can do?