Send out apps without MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJDIF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I will not be getting my scores back until june 25th, should I still send out my primaries? I have composite letters, personal statement, the whole shebang. Would it be a good idea to submit everything to AMCAS anyway?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes! send it in the first day possible, but make sure it is error free before you do so.

Send out everything early to avoid any processing delays. When your scores come in, schools will receive them automatically and you should be listed as complete and verified not shortly after those scores are released.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I will not be getting my scores back until june 25th, should I still send out my primaries? I have composite letters, personal statement, the whole shebang. Would it be a good idea to submit everything to AMCAS anyway?

Thanks

Absolutely. Most med schools have filing down to a science. They will simply open a file for you and flag it "MCATs" pending.

An undergrad teacher (who wrote hundreds of LORs for premeds) I once had said this about delaying medical school applications: "One day after the June [first day amcas/aacomas can be postmarked], a little piece of **** falls on the tip of your nose. Ever additional day that passes before you send in your application, it grows bigger and bigger until you've got **** all over your face." I guess that was his way of saying earlier is better; earliest is the best of all.

Speaking as someone who got accepted with a (very) small piece of crap on the nose, I feel fortunate indeed.:laugh:

Yeah go ahead and get your stuff in as early as possible.

How do you know where you should apply without knowing what your score was?

I know myself pretty well. I have my GPA, real solid ECs, and my practice MCATs have been pretty consistent. Worse case scenario, I take them again.

The only downside of applying pre-MCAT is that you need to apply to a wider range of schools to allow for an unexpected MCAT. But the benefit of having your app in earlier is a huge advantage.

The only downside of applying pre-MCAT is that you need to apply to a wider range of schools to allow for an unexpected MCAT. But the benefit of having your app in earlier is a huge advantage.

I agree with this. That is what I did, and then didn't fill out the secondaries/go to interviews at schools that I wasn't interested in. Take a few official practice tests. Your actual score will be +-2 points from your average (mine was my average over all 7 tests, so they are really good predictors).

Not to hijack, but lets say you have a mcat score of 29, but you plan to retake it. If the application is put in early, will schools send you secondaries upon getting this one, or will they wait for the score? B/c if this is so, one could possibly complete thier file around the same time that it would normally be completed?

Not to hijack, but lets say you have a mcat score of 29, but you plan to retake it. If the application is put in early, will schools send you secondaries upon getting this one, or will they wait for the score? B/c if this is so, one could possibly complete thier file around the same time that it would normally be completed?

it depends on whether or not you check the box that asks you if you are going to re-take or not!

hey everyone, i had the exact same question. except i plan on taking the mcat on 7/24. i wouldn't receive my scores until 8/24. should i just postpone my application until next year, recieving the mcat scores that late? thanks, jbh

Is getting it in during the first week that important? I get my scores June 15 and want to see how I did to determine where I apply. Is sending it in June 16 such a disadvantage that I should waste money applying to a larger number of schools?

Is getting it in during the first week that important? I get my scores June 15 and want to see how I did to determine where I apply. Is sending it in June 16 such a disadvantage that I should waste money applying to a larger number of schools?

Call up some of the schools. I had the same sort of problem, and I called up a couple of schools (Stony Brook, Penn State, Drexel) and asked them whether it would adversely affect my app if I moved the MCAT date from June 15 to July 13th, surprisingly, they said no.

Honestly, calling up the schools directly is better than guessing and pondering over it.

Assuming that the rest of your app is strong and you have a decent gauge of your MCAT scores, simply send your AMCAS to schools you feel sure you'd apply to before getting your score. You can always add more schools post-submission w/o having to be verified again.
:)

God, no. Don't sweat it. Sending out your primary on June 16th is still WAY ahead of most people, in spite of what SDN may lead you to believe.

I didn't get secondaries back from most schools until mid to late July anyway. I don't think getting your apps out the first week as opposed to the second week is going to have any impact on your chances of getting an interview anywhere.

SO I got a 26-O last august (VR-10, BS-8, PS-8)....and I plan to retake it maybe last weekn in july or first of august....should I check on my application that I plan to retake. I'm thinking if I dont then schools may look at my application and not put it on hold....and my mcat score would end up coming in later anyways. Or should I just say I will be retaking? I'm thinking of just checking it. Any thoughts?????

I'm deciphering whether to check the box as well, I got 1 interview last year with my current score (all materials in for every school on their deadlines...). This time I'm applying early so technically i should get a few more interviews...however, I am probably going to re-take the exam August 20...My current score should be enough for a couple of my state schools...I'll most likely check the box, might give a few schools a call and see what they think is best.

Send in your AMCAS ASAP. A personal story for reasons why.

I turned in my AMCAS last year early July (the 4th I think actually; USA!), despite not taking the MCAT until August. I received some secondaries regardless of an absent MCAT score (not many), and many holds. When my MCAT scores arrived in early October, I received the remainder of my secondaries, turned them all in within a week of obtaining them, and played the stressful "waiting" game. I eventually got into 1 of the 13 schools I applied to (the only interview I received too, I might add).
My stats: 30N (12-9-9), 3.5 Electrical Engineering GPA, 3.65 BCMP, textbook extracurriculars (research, volunteering, etc.)

My friend took the April MCAT (well before the AMCAS submission date), but decided to wait (out of pure irresponsibility) until November to turn in his AMCAS. Not only did he put himself at a greater disadvantage than me, but he missed the AMCAS submission deadlines for some schools. His results: no interview invitations.
His stats (approx): 34? (?-?-?), 3.7? Chemical Engineering GPA, 3.7? BCMP, heavy research and community experience.

The moral of the story is:
From an admission perspective, one might say that my friend has better stats than me, but due to his turning in AMCAS late, he ended up paying for it in the end.

GET YOUR AMCAS IN ASAP!!!!!