Send secondaries after MCAT or now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an old MCAT score but will be retaking the MCAT on July 18th.
Should I wait till August to send in the secondaries? I don't want MD Schools to view my application only with my old MCAT and then throw my app out. Or will they wait for my July score?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar position as you! Some MD schools say they'll review everything you have, then put your app aside until your MCAT score comes in. I'd like to know how it works with schools that pre-screen before sending secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd wait and save your money. Coming from a reapplicant, it does you no good submitting earlier since they won't look at you seriously until everything is in. That being said, work on things in the meantime, and submit on the day you receive your score. AMCAS automatically updates your application with your new score.

Reactions: 1 users
How bad are we talking about? 20? 25? 30? I'd submit if it's 30 and hold off with something lower than that for MD. For DO, I'd hold off with <27.

Always apply with the best possible app, even if it means sitting out an app cycle. No school will review your app with the notion of "let's wait and see how he does on the next MCAT". August is getting toward late for MD schools but perfectly fine for DO, since their cycle is longer.

I have an old MCAT score but will be retaking the MCAT on July 18th.
Should I wait till August to send in the secondaries? I don't want MD Schools to view my application only with my old MCAT and then throw my app out. Or will they wait for my July score?

Hmm my first MCAT is a 29. I'm hoping to break 510 on July 18th.

AMCAS has been sent in. My question is in regards to when I should send in the secondaries.

Always apply with the best possible app, even if it means sitting out an app cycle. No school will review your app with the notion of "let's wait and see how he does on the next MCAT". August is getting toward late for MD schools but perfectly fine for DO, since their cycle is longer.
Really, august is late? How can that be when the deadlines are all at october/november. I was under the impression that july=early, august=regular, september+=late. Also what about some schools that screen who give secondaries mid-late july? Surely submitting those the first week of august couldn't be "late"?

Reactions: 1 user
On SDN, we define "early" as "submitting it before it's actually possible". Submitting it Day 1 is what is referred to as being "on time". Anything after that is late.

Reactions: 1 user
It's late because some 2/3rd to 3/4th of all applicants have got their apps in, complete, by that time.

Let me qualify that early August is not late, but late (last 10 days) is, well, getting late.

Really, august is late? How can that be when the deadlines are all at october/november. I was under the impression that july=early, august=regular, september+=late. Also what about some schools that screen who give secondaries mid-late july? Surely submitting those the first week of august couldn't be "late"?

Are schools even looking at my application if my (first & only) MCAT score doesn't come in for another 14 days? (If everything else is complete)

What if you have a secondary in and an old MCAT score... but waiting on a new one (july MCAT).... will that person be marked as complete?