Sending two sets of GRE scores...good idea or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wootar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several programs I plan on applying to state on their admissions pages that if you have taken the GRE more than once they will take the best of the two scores. I approach this with caution, because my best verbal score came with a pretty embarrassing quant score.

My best verbal score was the first time I took the GRE, I got a 160 (85%), however my quant score was a 144 (18%).
My best quantitative score was a 154 (56%)...not great, but I was pleased considering this was the third time I had managed to increase my score. On that test my verbal score was 158 (79%).

Do you think that even if they are going to take the best scores for reporting/admissions purposes...that seeing such a low quant score at all would raise a red flag? Is that extra two points on verbal worth even sending the score considering how low the quant is? I'd like the best possible combined score, but not if judgment will be made on the low score.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Several programs I plan on applying to state on their admissions pages that if you have taken the GRE more than once they will take the best of the two scores. I approach this with caution, because my best verbal score came with a pretty embarrassing quant score.

My best verbal score was the first time I took the GRE, I got a 160 (85%), however my quant score was a 144 (18%).
My best quantitative score was a 154 (56%)...not great, but I was pleased considering this was the third time I had managed to increase my score. On that test my verbal score was 158 (79%).

Do you think that even if they are going to take the best scores for reporting/admissions purposes...that seeing such a low quant score at all would raise a red flag? Is that extra two points on verbal worth even sending the score considering how low the quant is? I'd like the best possible combined score, but not if judgment will be made on the low score.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Do you have time to take it a third time? Maybe have more matching scores?