Sep. 10 test date: looking for some advice (specifically CARS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeonmars

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My test date is Sep. 10th. I have taken NextStep 1-5, EK 2, and both AAMC tests. Here are my scores:

AAMC Unscored: 73%
NS1: 507
NS2: 507
NS3: 506
EK2: 71%
NS4: 509
NS5: 507
AAMC Scored (127/123/130/129): 509

For the first couple tests, I ran out of time on C/P, CARS, and B/B. I have gotten better about timing, and learning to give up on a question if I don't know it, or it is eating too much time.

On my AAMC scored, I only ran out of time on CARS, but it was BAD (two entire passages I just had to guess on). I ended up with a 123. My CARS scores on the other tests were (in the order that they are listed above): 83%, 125, 128, 124, 68%, 126, 127.

So here are my questions:

1. Are EK 3/4 and NextStep 6 worthwhile tests to take in these final two weeks?
2. How representative do you think my other CARS scores are of how I will do? I think on the real thing, I am going to set a strict limit, and move on once I hit 10 minutes for a passage
3. I have EK101 and TPRH (both about 1/2 completed) as well as the old AAMC practice tests. Should I place more emphasis on the old AAMC stuff, or keep pushing on with the EK and the TPRH?

Any other advice on CARS in terms of timing?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My test date is Sep. 10th. I have taken NextStep 1-5, EK 2, and both AAMC tests. Here are my scores:

AAMC Unscored: 73%
NS1: 507
NS2: 507
NS3: 506
EK2: 71%
NS4: 509
NS5: 507
AAMC Scored (127/123/130/129): 509

For the first couple tests, I ran out of time on C/P, CARS, and B/B. I have gotten better about timing, and learning to give up on a question if I don't know it, or it is eating too much time.

On my AAMC scored, I only ran out of time on CARS, but it was BAD (two entire passages I just had to guess on). I ended up with a 123. My CARS scores on the other tests were (in the order that they are listed above): 83%, 125, 128, 124, 68%, 126, 127.

So here are my questions:

1. Are EK 3/4 and NextStep 6 worthwhile tests to take in these final two weeks?
2. How representative do you think my other CARS scores are of how I will do? I think on the real thing, I am going to set a strict limit, and move on once I hit 10 minutes for a passage
3. I have EK101 and TPRH (both about 1/2 completed) as well as the old AAMC practice tests. Should I place more emphasis on the old AAMC stuff, or keep pushing on with the EK and the TPRH?

Any other advice on CARS in terms of timing?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about EK and NextStep as I haven't used them. I use this strategy on CARS: 4 min to read and analyze the passage and 1 min per question. There are always 9 passages and 53 questions. The problem with 10 min per passage is some passages have 7 questions associated with them and others only have 5. This means if there are only five questions I allow myself 9 minutes to finish it, if there are six questions I give myself 10 min, and if there are seven questions I give myself 11 minutes to complete it.

Credit for this strategy goes to ALTIUS TEST PREP. I am taking their course and this is the strategy they advise. It is working well for me.