Separate consent for regional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intubate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have an information sheet for outpatients about regional anesthesia, separate regional specific consent form, or printed regional specific discharge instructions? Care to share? Trying to revamp our protocols at our surgery center. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do any of you have an information sheet for outpatients about regional anesthesia, separate regional specific consent form, or printed regional specific discharge instructions? Care to share? Trying to revamp our protocols at our surgery center. Thanks!

Yes. At my home hospital we have all of the above.

At the ortho preop visit, every patient gets an 'about regional anesthesia' handout our department made.

We have separate consent forms for regional and general anesthesia.

And patients who are discharged with blocks get a set of general pre-printed written instructions our department made. In addition, the patient's caregiver signs a statement acknowledging receipt of the instructions (I don't know if that's worth anything, but we do it).

I would share ... but I am away from home for a few months and don't have access to them right now.

Our anesthesia consent form (PP in OK) has sections for general, neuraxial, peripheral regional, MAC, and IV regional (we do a lot of Bier blocks). Each section has subsections for expected result, technique and possible complications.

In residency (in OH) we had no paper anesthesia consent - we only used the checkbox for "sedation" on the surgical consent. This left a lot to be desired, particularly for more complex techniques (e.g., block + GA)

hate to bump an old thread but I am also in the process of getting a separate consent form for regional with some pt instructions. pgg if willing, I would love to see your set up. We had a pt who forgot about us telling them about horners syndrome preop on a ISB and went to the ED for a stroke....