September 12, 2014 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanoserol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is taking MCAT on this day?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else having extremely vivid dreams about seeing their score?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm extremely nervous guys. I keep thinking about Wednesday the 15th every minute. As the 15th gets closer, the more I feel like I bombed the exam :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk what's worse waiting for 33 days for scores to come out, or spending a summer studying. All I know is this MCAT business is an emotional roller coaster.

Reactions: 1 users
Today is the day. I hope everybody has a fantastic day. Stay optimistic people! :)

le sigh. what's the format people usually share their scores?

i got 10/9/10...
wondering if i should scoop up one of the january dates

Test Date: 9/12/14
Time: 8am
FL AAMC Average: 32 (10, 11, and a couple more - did not do all of the AAMC FLs)
Post-test expected score: 35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (13/9/10) 32

It's crazy how much of a mind **** this process is. I felt like absolute garbage on the PS section and felt like a god on the verbal (finished with 10 min remaining, which i spent to go over marked answers). I will be retaking, as my gpa is on the lower end of the spectrum. To be honest, I really thought I could put together a 35 as I walked out of the testing center.

On a side note, what do you guys think about my score distribution?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: 9/12/14 Time: 8am
FL AAMC Average: 33 (12/10/11)(However, I scored 34 on nearly all the exams, I got a 32 and 30 which lowered my average. Also, I always felt like I performed better than what my scores were on the practice exams)
Post-test expected score:32-35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (14/12/11) 37

If you click on my profile you can read my immediate post-test thoughts. Those thoughts remain true. I still think the test (particularly the bio section) was complete bs, and interestingly enough, my scores accurately reflect my feelings about my performance after the test (although I scored higher than expected).

Nevertheless, the highest I scored on any practice test was a 35, so I'm pretty damn ecstatic about scoring a 37 on the real thing. I only scored 14 on the PS once, and I never scored a 12 on verbal ( my highest was 11).

Good luck to everyone else.

FL AAMC Average: 32 (10, 11, and a couple more - did not do all of the AAMC FLs)

It's crazy how much of a mind **** this process is. I felt like absolute garbage on the PS section and felt like a god on the verbal (finished with 10 min remaining, which i spent to go over marked answers). I will be retaking, as my gpa is on the lower end of the spectrum. To be honest, I really thought I could put together a 35 as I walked out of the testing center.

On a side note, what do you guys think about my score balance?

Your have an absolutely fantastic score. Congratulations!

FL AAMC Average: 33 (lots of 33s, sometimes 30 or below, highest 36)
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (13/10/11) 34

This was a rollercoaster. I seriously expected to do better on VR and worse on BS, but of course that swapped. I left thinking VR was a piece of cake, so i'm upset by the low score. However, yay for doing pretty well with PS.

The score is acceptable, but I have a low GPA so I wish I had something higher to counter-balance it.

FLAAMC Average: 26
Post-test expected score: 27
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (8/8/10) 26

I took this exam earlier then I wanted to. I was hoping I might pull off a decent score to be competitive for this year's application cycle. However, I don't think this is the case. Oddly enough I never took a biology class and I got a 10 on BS. Hopefully with some more studying this fall I can improve my score.

Congrats to all those who scored well!

I took this exam earlier then I wanted to. I was hoping I might pull off a decent score to be competitive for this year's application cycle. However, I don't think this is the case. Oddly enough I never took a biology class and I got a 10 on BS. Hopefully with some more studying this fall I can improve my score.

Never took a biology class??? What...

People don't just score 4 points above their average on a whim. What made you think you were ready for this test?

FL AAMC Average: 33 (lots of 33s, sometimes 30 or below, highest 36)
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (13/10/11) 34

This was a rollercoaster. I seriously expected to do better on VR and worse on BS, but of course that swapped. I left thinking VR was a piece of cake, so i'm upset by the low score. However, yay for doing pretty well with PS.

The score is acceptable, but I have a low GPA so I wish I had something higher to counter-balance it.

Right? I actually really got into the passages and thought my best score would be verbal. It's funny we're in the same boat with the gpa. Are you going to retake?

Edit: not really funny, but I'm sure you catch my drift

People don't just score 4 points above their average on a whim. What made you think you were ready for this test?

I didn't think I was ready for the test. I took it to early...Clearly haha. I scored 27 and 29 the two weeks prior to the testing date, but in the end I scored my average. I am applying to both osteopathic and allopathic schools. For osteopathic schools a competitive MCAT is generally around 28 so I wasn't too far off the mark.

I did horrendous and worse than my first time. I am taking it again in 10 days. I need to raise my Biology score desperately. I used exam crackers and khan academy. What is the best way to learn the RIGHT Biology information to do well (better than an 8/9 which is what I have got previously)? Also how do you raise a Verbal score? It seems like my best bet to boost my score but Idk how to improve verbal. HELP ME :(

I did horrendous and worse than my first time. I am taking it again in 10 days. I need to raise my Biology score desperately. I used exam crackers and khan academy. What is the best way to learn the RIGHT Biology information to do well (better than an 8/9 which is what I have got previously)? Also how do you raise a Verbal score? It seems like my best bet to boost my score but Idk how to improve verbal. HELP ME :(

It's practice passages. Unless you get extremely lucky, I wouldn't expect a vast improvement in performance in only 10 days.

On a side note, what do you guys think about my score distribution?
i will trade my score for yours. i think you should keep your score but then again, i haven't tried applying so idk how competitive everything is yet

Posted this in the wrong thread originally lol:

10/11/11 (PS/VR/BS)

Wish I did better in PS to be honest, because I really really wanted that 33. Have a retake date I signed up for in January a few weeks ago but now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm content with the 32. Hopefully someone in Texas will be able to take that seat and not have to take the 2015 version.

Posted this in the wrong thread originally lol:

10/11/11 (PS/VR/BS)

Wish I did better in PS to be honest, because I really really wanted that 33. Have a retake date I signed up for in January a few weeks ago but now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm content with the 32. Hopefully someone in Texas will be able to take that seat and not have to take the 2015 version.

You have an excellent score that you should be absolutely proud of. Congratulations! Your 32 is definitely sufficient to garner Texas acceptances, assuming the rest of your app is as good as your MCAT score is.

Re-take from a 28 (9/9/10) for the 5/31/14 test
FL AAMC Average: No idea
Post-test expected score: 30-32
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (12/10/12) 34

I can't even tell you guys how excited I am! Long-time lurker, posting for the first time.

When I first took this test on 5/31, I thought I killed it and was expecting a 34, only to find that I got a 28. I was so disappointed and absolutely distraught, and I was taking summer classes when I found out my score just after the deadline to drop the class for a partial refund, so I ended up paying thousands of dollars just to buy back my own time to re-study for this test.

I literally had no accurate gauge for how I might do on my retake since I had already done all of the available AAMCs for my 5/31 test. After taking the test on 9/12, I knew I had already missed three of the discretes on bio and I actually lost some time on verbal because (freak accident) my computer started the verbal portion while I was still on my break.

For the past week I've been terrified of getting this score back, and finding out that I did less than a 30 and having to re-study for this test. Oh my god. I am so relieved.

Congrats to everyone who is happy with their score, and best of luck to all those who are re-taking!

Also, for anyone who actually read this entire thing, does anyone have any ideas about what med schools might consider my actual MCAT score since I had to retake?

Reactions: 1 users
You have an excellent score that you should be absolutely proud of. Congratulations! Your 32 is definitely sufficient to garner Texas acceptances, assuming the rest of your app is as good as your MCAT score is.
Thanks man, but my GPA is a little below average (3.5ish) so that's why I was shooting for a little higher score, hopefully I'll get into one allopathic school next cycle.

Thanks man, but my GPA is a little below average (3.5ish) so that's why I was shooting for a little higher score, hopefully I'll get into one allopathic school next cycle.

If you are a Texas resident, your GPA is enough to get into Texas schools. I'm confident you will be able to get in, again assuming the rest of your app is up to par.

Best of luck!

Re-take: Originally scored 27 (7 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS) on 6/21.
FL AAMC Average: Roughly a 29.
Post-test expected score: No clue. I felt pretty poorly about the test afterwards. I felt better about PS which scared me, but the rest I thought was difficult as normal.
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (10/9/9) 28

While it wasn't a huge increase, I feel this score is much stronger than my original test score. I was elated to see my PS jump three points. I would have liked to see my BS score go up some...but I think a 9 is respectable. Also, my VR went down somewhat, but my average score is 10, which definitely means my verbal skills weren't a fluke on the original test. What do you guys think?

FL AAMC Average: 37 (13-14 PS/9 - 11 VR/13-14 BS)
Post-test expected score: Felt like crap about BS, but did not expect an 11. Felt like 12 for BS was as low as it was going to get. Was expecting 13. Verbal felt like a crapshoot, so I guess I can't be that disappointed with an 8....
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 33 (14/8/11)

This was my lowest BS of all time. I have never scored an 11, not even on AAMC 3 which I took 2 months before my actual test date. I'm actually considering retaking the 10/25 test because I am worried my score will not let me stay in California. :(

FL AAMC Average: 37 (13-14 PS/9 - 11 VR/13-14 BS)
Post-test expected score: Felt like crap about BS, but did not expect an 11. Felt like 12 for BS was as low as it was going to get. Was expecting 13. Verbal felt like a crapshoot, so I guess I can't be that disappointed with an 8....
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 33 (14/8/11)

This was my lowest BS of all time. I have never scored an 11, not even on AAMC 3 which I took 2 months before my actual test date. I'm actually considering retaking the 10/25 test because I am worried my score will not let me stay in California. :(
i'll miss this cali weather as well. i feel you. really nice PS score though

did you guys feel the curve was fair?
It was alright I felt I did a little bit better in PS than what I got, but it's w/e now. I knew I missed some in BS and PS, and Verbal has such a harsh curve in general I was happy enough with my 11 in that. The test overall in content was much more fair than the Aug 15 test where the PS was absolutely ridiculous in difficulty. Taking the test I was actually laughing at how much more straightforward the PS was.

Why is this thread so dead lol?

FL AAMC Average: Didn't have access to full-lengths.
Post-test expected score: No idea. I thought biology went poorly, though.
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (12/11/12) 35

Started studying in May off the TPR books. Finished reading the set in 20 days. Spent the next 15-20 days doing all the passages from the science workbook. From that point on I stopped studying completely because I realized medicine isn't for me. A week before the 12th I was scrambling to re-read the books again because I didn't want people to make fun of a low score xD. Studied right up until 7AM the day of my exam - walked into my seating with no sleep and a thermos of tea. Definitely think I could have done a bit better, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Why is this thread so dead lol?

FL AAMC Average: Didn't have access to full-lengths.
Post-test expected score: No idea. I thought biology went poorly, though.
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (12/11/12) 35

Started studying in May off the TPR books. Finished reading the set in 20 days. Spent the next 15-20 days doing all the passages from the science workbook. From that point on I stopped studying completely because I realized medicine isn't for me. A week before the 12th I was scrambling to re-read the books again because I didn't want people to make fun of a low score xD. Studied right up until 7AM the day of my exam - walked into my seating with no sleep and a thermos of tea. Definitely think I could have done a bit better, but I'm definitely not complaining.

LMAO...you stopped studying because medicine wasn't for you, but still aced the test...what the..good job!

Hello everyone,
I've been "lurking" in this website for while now, therefore I decided to make my first post "post MCAT thoughts.

First time I took the MCAT
Test Date: 8/22/13
Time: 1 pm
FL AAMC Average: low 20's. I did not take all of them
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (6/8/8) 22

Time: 8 am
FL AAMC Average: 28ish.
Expected:I was hoping for anything above 28, but the VR section felt like a hour of terror, panic and horror.
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (9/10/12) 31

The VR section felt the hardest than anything that I ever taken and I did almost all the passages of EK101 and TPRH as prep, the PS felt ok, despite the fact that I ran out of time on the last passage and I knew that I made a bunch lil dumb mistakes. The bio felt pretty good since I have a degree in MCB and I am personally interested in immunology and microbiology and accounting to the fact that was barely any OCHEM (THANKS GOD). I am non traditional student, who did not like chemistry-physics and english is my second language. I was personally baffled when I got my score, even tho a lot people may not consider a high score, it is pretty good for me and I am probably never retaking the MCAT again. I believe that a well distributed score 30 or above should suffice for most in state med schools. My whole life direction was depending on this MCAT score. Since I am very determined to become a doctor I already had a couple plans if I failed the MCAT again, such as attend a DO school or go to an offshore american school in the Caribbean.I was so unmotivated after my first MCAT that I felt like a complete failure. The MCAT is such a mind F... that can mess your head up. The rest of my status are pretty decent for applying to most med schools since I have plenty of clinical exposure, researched and presented many posters through my undergrad and my GPA is ok. Despite the fact that I may not attend my dream MED school, I am hoping that I will be able to get an acceptance somewhere (hopefully) in the US. As pre med we psych ourselves too much and are constantly comparing ourselves with our "neighbors", which is torturing. Everybody lies, including pre meds, majority of the people that have awesome MCAT scores and GPA, are kids that are supported by their families, therefore allowing them to build this "fantastic" portfolio for med schools, I am not hating on these people this is just a fact, since they don't have to worry about bills, place to live and etc... By any means I am taking their merits for achieving great scores, I am aware that they must've put some work to get those stats. Also there are people that just lie because who knows what a F... is going on in their heads. Even tho that you may have a lowers stats than most applicants, your real life experiences and struggles such as having to have a job through school, juggling work, classes and social life may make you a better candidate than someone who has good scores. I recently talked to a couple of doctors that are in admission committees and they told me that they like applicants that are well rounded and are in touch with reality (whatever they meant with that I am not sure), and that the scores play a big role on the decision but it is not solely dependent on that. Anyways , just don't sell yourself short, you may be an awesome applicant and you don't even know.
You did great! any advice you could give on re studying? I got 10/9/10 on this exam and wish to score at least 30. my last chance at a retake is in january

Use the TBR BOOKS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to retake it again, I would probably watch the videos from coursesaver, because he mostly cover only the basics (I am not sure how the videos are for the other subjects but I believe they should be a good way to prime you for the TBR), read the TBR chapter (without taking major notes, which I did at the first time) and do some passages from TBR and TPR, followed by very good review. I think this way you can probably hit consistently high 20's low 30's. However, if you want to hit a high 30's you probably just need to know almost everything and be prepared to kick some major a..

Last edited: