September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm signed up for Sept. 12th. and I've been studying and taking my prerequisites. I'm in biochem right now with physics and I'm taking chem 2 and organic 2 next quarter. I've been using my exam crackers as study guides because they don't seem to go as in depth as I like. I'm using my old school notes to go more in depth and watching the khan academy videos. So far it has been great, I'm scoring high on my practice quizzes and I'll be taking the practice exam from AAMC on memorial day since I have the day off from school. ;D We will see if my hard work is paying off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been staying motivated just by really wanting to rock the MCAT. I made a study schedule that so far seems pretty manageable so starting off with not a ton of hours per day. I'm definitely a little worried about burnout and lack of motivation down the road.

Another thing is I know I can only take it once, so I really have to give it all I got. That keeps me on track.

Reactions: 2 users
What kind of study schedule are you guys following?
And also what keeps you guys going (motivated/driven to keep studying) during long hours?

Currently our students study between 8-12 hours each day Monday through Friday, totaling 40-60 hours per week. It's also important to note that the time spent studying is spent doing a variety of activities, not just straight book work.

As far as motivation goes, being surrounded by other students that are studying for the same test you are is very helpful. Also, the sheer will and desire to become a physician and ace the MCAT along with having weekends off from studying so students can go out and enjoy the beautiful Utah outdoors all helps with motivation. Personally I treated my time studying for the MCAT as my training for MS1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
September 12th here! Full time medical Technologist. I study on my commute, to and from work, during my breaks and after I get home. So around 4-6 hours a day. And I have been studying for two months now! I went through all my content(multiple times) and I recently started doing practice tests every time I have a day off.

EK 9th edition is my main source and I am supplementing with TPR and NS materials. I try to get through three chapters per day and do about 3 verbal passages a day. But I feel myself starting to get super tired. Just chugging along though. Any tips on how to fight burnout? Thanks!

September 12th here! Full time medical Technologist. I study on my commute, to and from work, during my breaks and after I get home. So around 4-6 hours a day. And I have been studying for two months now! I went through all my content(multiple times) and I recently started doing practice tests every time I have a day off.

EK 9th edition is my main source and I am supplementing with TPR and NS materials. I try to get through three chapters per day and do about 3 verbal passages a day. But I feel myself starting to get super tired. Just chugging along though. Any tips on how to fight burnout? Thanks!
yeah take 2 or 3 days off and don't do anything mcat related. lol rest is so so so so important.

Just putting my schedule together. Integrating the @mcatjelly study plan and Khan Academy Passages and some Videos (Psych Soc). Let's do this fam! Doing it September 23rd!

Reactions: 2 users
I think also exercise is really important though I'm having trouble fitting it in to my crazy schedule. It's so easy to spend all day sitting reading prep books, doing practice materials, watching videos etc and it's all too easy to not get enough movement going on

I guess this will be training b/c when we're in med school and residency it will only be more work, so this can be a good time to practice taking care of mental and physical health while studying for this beast.

Oddly enough I'm still in the stage of being kinda excited for the test. I'm sure it'll wear off but I get invigorated by the challenge.

I just started going hard for the MCAT. Working 50+ hours a week while fitting in studying is provng difficult, but so far so good. Luckily I can usually read my prep books a few hours each night at work

Has anyone tried mprep qbank? I need a relatively cheap practice question source

I just started going hard for the MCAT. Working 50+ hours a week while fitting in studying is provng difficult, but so far so good. Luckily I can usually read my prep books a few hours each night at work

Has anyone tried mprep qbank? I need a relatively cheap practice question source
I heard mprep qbank was good for the old MCAT but I'm not sure if they have adjusted their questions to the new style of the MCAT. Has anyone heard anything?

I heard mprep qbank was good for the old MCAT but I'm not sure if they have adjusted their questions to the new style of the MCAT. Has anyone heard anything?

The style of the new MCAT truly isn't that different from the old style. Our advanced analytical tools provided us with hard data suggesting that the big bad "new MCAT" is the same as the old one with new material. Don't believe me? There are multiple CAR passages (in the official guide and AAMC practice test) that were copied and pasted word for word from old CBT exams. So much for new and improved...

One example is the VR/CAR passage of doctor patient confidentiality.

I think also exercise is really important though I'm having trouble fitting it in to my crazy schedule. It's so easy to spend all day sitting reading prep books, doing practice materials, watching videos etc and it's all too easy to not get enough movement going on

I guess this will be training b/c when we're in med school and residency it will only be more work, so this can be a good time to practice taking care of mental and physical health while studying for this beast.

Oddly enough I'm still in the stage of being kinda excited for the test. I'm sure it'll wear off but I get invigorated by the challenge.

This is exactly what I'm going through haha. I'm kinda enjoying the studying tbh. In fact, it's when I'm not studying that I feel maybe a bit more stressed. Probably because I feel like I'd be behind if I'm not studying. As for exercise, it's so much more effective when I come back from the gym and feel like I'm ready to study for however long I want.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The style of the new MCAT truly isn't that different from the old style. Our advanced analytical tools provided us with hard data suggesting that the big bad "new MCAT" is the same as the old one with new material. Don't believe me? There are multiple CAR passages (in the official guide and AAMC practice test) that were copied and pasted word for word from old CBT exams. So much for new and improved...

One example is the VR/CAR passage of doctor patient confidentiality.
Well obviously the CARS is mostly the same. But comparing the way the physical science passages are presented in application to biological systems takes some getting used to if you are used to the old mcat style.

Well obviously the CARS is mostly the same. But comparing the way the physical science passages are presented in application to biological systems takes some getting used to if you are used to the old mcat style.

rraidermd is exactly correct; the VR --> CAR transition is almost inconsequential. Also, the NATURE of the AAMC style, in terms of how they ask questions, the kinds of questions they ask, the types of reasoning they require, that hasn't changed. What has changed, more than anything else is this: MAJOR uptick in average passage difficulty, primarily the result of the switch to primary research-based passage adaptations almost exclusively. You will notice this in such things as acronyms, and the complexity of the figures. MCAT-2015 passages are using a ton obscure vocabulary (usually followed by an acronym which they use to refer back to it for the rest of the passage/questions) with respect to many genes, promoters, regulatory proteins, diseases, etc., that will be well beyond most students' familiarity level. The old BS section had been trending in this direction already. Now, research-based passages should be expected on 90-100% of the BB and PsS section and 60-75% of the CP section. I predict the CP section will also grow over time in this direction. Right now they have a mix of journal-based and what we call the "lab manual/textbook excerpt" style (which is less dense and much easier). Of course, the range of topics has also changed noticeably. One change many have failed to recognize is that the timing structure is actually more lenient. You have more time per question and more time per passage...but you will have harder passages to digest.

Is there any reason it's better to take the MCAT in September over another month or is it just personal preference?

rraidermd is exactly correct; the VR --> CAR transition is almost inconsequential. Also, the NATURE of the AAMC style, in terms of how they ask questions, the kinds of questions they ask, the types of reasoning they require, that hasn't changed. What has changed, more than anything else is this: MAJOR uptick in average passage difficulty, primarily the result of the switch to primary research-based passage adaptations almost exclusively. You will notice this in such things as acronyms, and the complexity of the figures. MCAT-2015 passages are using a ton obscure vocabulary (usually followed by an acronym which they use to refer back to it for the rest of the passage/questions) with respect to many genes, promoters, regulatory proteins, diseases, etc., that will be well beyond most students' familiarity level. The old BS section had been trending in this direction already. Now, research-based passages should be expected on 90-100% of the BB and PsS section and 60-75% of the CP section. I predict the CP section will also grow over time in this direction. Right now they have a mix of journal-based and what we call the "lab manual/textbook excerpt" style (which is less dense and much easier). Of course, the range of topics has also changed noticeably. One change many have failed to recognize is that the timing structure is actually more lenient. You have more time per question and more time per passage...but you will have harder passages to digest.

How do you recommend studying for this new style of MCAT passages, if most of the practice material out there is still written in the format of the old MCAT style?

A great way to prepare yourself for these new passages will be to look up scientific journal articles online. You can use your schools library services to access thousands of peer-reviewed journal articles. Practice reading these articles (especially the abstracts) and trying to grasp the main idea. Get comfortable with reading long, complex names for proteins, etc. with which you are not familiar. Above all, focus on relationships between different biological elements.

Hey guys. I'm either taking it Sept 12 or Sept 23. The later the better, but the 23rd is the second day of school and I have to move in during those extra 11 days. Which one should I do??

Solid points, Thank you for that explanation!

What do you guys think is the best way to study for the psych/soci section? I've taken classes in both so I have a pretty good handle on all of the main ideas but from the practice questions/passages I've done so far, it seems like we are expected to know quite a bit of specific terms. For example, a question may ask "Which theory best explains _?" and then each answer choice is the name of some theory.

This is exactly what I'm going through haha. I'm kinda enjoying the studying tbh. In fact, it's when I'm not studying that I feel maybe a bit more stressed. Probably because I feel like I'd be behind if I'm not studying. As for exercise, it's so much more effective when I come back from the gym and feel like I'm ready to study for however long I want.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm trying to get addicted to studying so that I don't feel as if I have to force myself everyday. I just got my vacation with for the summer over with so that I can focus on studying all summer long, and I definitely felt guilty not studying for 6 days!

September 3rd!! I'm using Ek 9th Edition for content review and taking TPR's prep course this summer

How do you recommend studying for this new style of MCAT passages, if most of the practice material out there is still written in the format of the old MCAT style?

The materials in the Official Guide (OG) are a very accurate predictor of what to expect. Honestly, AAMC-MCAT-2015 #1 full-length was way easier than the OG content and used several repurposed passages from old, out-of-print AAMC materials. OG is closer, AAMC#1 easier than what you should expect. With that in mind, view all of your practice through the OG content. Do your research and compare whatever test prep materials available to you against the AAMC OG-2015 materials, including anything you look at from Altius. Finally, reading primary original research articles will definitely help. That is a skill that suddenly became PREREQUISITE to getting even a decent MCAT score.

Switched from July to September 23rd just now. Life got in the way. I've done quite a bit of studying already but my main concern is chem/phys because I suck at both.

Also signed up for September. Using Kaplan (BioChem & Psy/Soc), Khan Academy, and All Ek 9th Edition materials. For practice i will be using EK, Kaplan, Princeton Rev,Khan academy & AAMC Question Packs & Full lengths. Anyone in Nashville, and want to study together PM me.

The materials in the Official Guide (OG) are a very accurate predictor of what to expect. Honestly, AAMC-MCAT-2015 #1 full-length was way easier than the OG content and used several repurposed passages from old, out-of-print AAMC materials. OG is closer, AAMC#1 easier than what you should expect. With that in mind, view all of your practice through the OG content. Do your research and compare whatever test prep materials available to you against the AAMC OG-2015 materials, including anything you look at from Altius. Finally, reading primary original research articles will definitely help. That is a skill that suddenly became PREREQUISITE to getting even a decent MCAT score.
Thank you so much for all of your input. Very helpful!!

Also, I'm applying for 2016 cycle to D.O. School I'm really interested in. I know they accepted scores as late as January for last years exam, so I'm praying it will still be that way. As much as I would like to get my score sent in earlier, I think have an extra month (or 3) is going to be more beneficial that rushing into it.

Signed up for September 12th!

I work full time, but this is my study schedule:

Monday - Friday:
Wake up around 6 AM and do 30 minutes of CARS passages. Go to work from 7:30 - 12. Spend my lunch break doing flashcards or Khan academy videos. Back to work from 12:45 or so until 4. From 4 to 5 I walk home, make something quick for dinner, watch something short on Netflix if I have time. Then 5-10 I do content review with the Kaplan books. I bought the self paced Kaplan course, so I do 1 weeks blocks of CARS, Chem/Phys, Bio, and Psych/Soc and repeat that 3 times for a total of 12 weeks.

Saturday:
Practice test day. I started with 13 Kaplan tests, so I am going to do 1 per week every Saturday. Saturday nights are my "off" time so I can actually have some amount of fun this summer.

Sunday:
Review yesterday's practice test, catch up on any Kaplan homework I may have missed, go to my volunteer shift in the afternoon, exercise.

I am going to follow this schedule from now until August 15th, at which point I will have read all of the Kaplan material and taken all 13 practice tests. For the rest of August, I will be working through the AAMC provided content and finishing whatever I have left of the Kaplan Q-bank. I will take the AAMC Practice on August 29th.

I have not scheduled out my Aug 30 - Sep 12 yet, as that is going to depend on how that AAMC practice goes. Regardless, I will use the time to brush up on any content I've struggled with and probably do some other non-Kaplan practice tests. I have 2 Barron's tests on disks, and I have heard good things about EK so I may buy a couple of those. In all likelihood I will take a good chunk of work off in early September.

I think this is the best I can do given that I have to work full time. Thoughts/comments?

So my MCAT plan was content review from now until Sept. 1 then questions and practice tests up until test day on the 23rd. I started putting together a schedule that covers 1-2 topics on the MCAT per day and I'm totally going to run out of time doing it that way. :(

for some reason I'm bothered that this thread doesn't have the "The official" in the title. Makes me feel like us Sept MCAT takers didn't even deserve a proper thread LOL.

@ChrisMack390 your plan looks pretty good to me. I'm also working full time this summer so it's always nice to see others' schedules who can't just literally study all day. I'm interested to see how doing a subject per week works for you. So far I've been doing a subject per day.

@slow twitch From what I've read on here, it's better to do practice tests throughout your studying than to only do all of the content review first. But then again, the best study method is the one that works for you, so don't let me sway you.

In general, how many hours do you guys all plan on studying per week?

Last edited:
Somewhere around 30 for me.

I wish I could quit my job and just do MCAT for like 10 hours a day, but that just is not reality for me :(

I have to work this summer too but it'll be slightly fewer hrs than the rest of the year so that's something I guess!

It's hard to manage both!

for some reason I'm bothered that this thread doesn't have the "The official" in the title. Makes me feel like us Sept MCAT takers didn't even deserve a proper thread LOL.

Sorry about that! I wish there was a way I could change it for you :p

Starting my study today. I only have EK. How late in the game am I? How should I plan my studying?

Starting my study today. I only have EK. How late in the game am I? How should I plan my studying?
I don't think you're late at all. I haven't even started yet and won't be for another week. There is plenty of schedules people have posted so took a look at those. @mcatjelly has a link in her sig with a lot of helpful MCAT information.

I'm personally using all the AAMC material, Kaplan as my main review with TBR/Khan as supplement. Then I'm just doing as many practice passages/exams as I can and reviewing information I miss.

I don't think you're late at all. I haven't even started yet and won't be for another week. There is plenty of schedules people have posted so took a look at those. @mcatjelly has a link in her sig with a lot of helpful MCAT information.

I'm personally using all the AAMC material, Kaplan as my main review with TBR/Khan as supplement. Then I'm just doing as many practice passages/exams as I can and reviewing information I miss.
Same here. @mcatjelly, just would like your opinion: do you believe that ~3 months is enough time to properly study for this exam, putting in roughly 25 hours per week? Looking for a score in the 65th-70th percentile or higher.

Same here. @mcatjelly, just would like your opinion: do you believe that ~3 months is enough time to properly study for this exam, putting in roughly 25 hours per week? Looking for a score in the 65th-70th percentile or higher.

Like I've said elsewhere, it depends entirely on you, but that's a good amount of time.

Does anyone know of the best set of books to use for someone who is rusty on their prereqs? Reviews for EK seem to be great but I'm not sure if they'll be in-depth enough for me as I'll need some MAJOR reviewing especially for Chem & Physics.

Does anyone know of the best set of books to use for someone who is rusty on their prereqs? Reviews for EK seem to be great but I'm not sure if they'll be in-depth enough for me as I'll need some MAJOR reviewing especially for Chem & Physics.

Luckily, I think the new MCAT has de-emphasized physics a lot. That said, I think TBR does a pretty in-depth review of in their books and their passages are good to supplement with.

Maybe supplement with Kaplan. I have both, but my physics knowledge is pretty terrible at this point 4+ years after taking physics. I might just use EK and whatever video resources I can find

Kaplan from my studying is good for Biochem and really good for PSY/SOC, and i am using EK for all the other ones. + Khan Academy resources

I'm currently using kaplan and I think it is pretty in depth for content review.
Definitely need to refer to other sources for practice questions though because the books don't have too many.

Joining the thread! I'm taking my MCAT Sept 12. Right now I'm taking 14 hours of summer classes and I work 20 hours a week. However, I work at a library on my school's campus, so it's easy for me to fit in some study time while at work.

I'm using EK for my main study prep. I'll be supplementing psych/social with other sources, biochem with an old textbook, and I'll be training myself to be able to read through dense scientific papers. I worked in a lab all throughout undergrad and some while currently in grad school, but I never took the time to really master the skill of reading papers. I'd just always skim through them...or fall asleep two pages in... :/

Anyways, good luck to all my fellow September test takers!

Sept 23. Good luck to y'all!!! Are any of y'all planning to read research articles during your studying?