September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

I love this sporcle quiz just for naming them and matching structures: http://www.sporcle.com/games/sproutcm/amino-acids-from-structures

But other than that, I'd really learned the AAs well in classes (orgo, biochemistry drilled them into me) but at least as far as a few mnemonics go:
Non-polar AAs: LIMP VAG (leu, ile, met, pro, val, ala, gly)
Essential AAs: WTF MLK HIV
Acidic: DQ (asparDick acid and glutamic acid, no fun memory tricks there)
Basic are positively charged, acidic are negatively charged. I can't think of any specific resources that stood out as being great for amino acids, but some time googling will definitely turn up a bunch of sources for some AA shortcuts.
Do you think we need to know more beyond the scope of this? Also, did you do the EK exams? What did you think of them?

Taking break from C/P section of kaplan fl 5. I ran out of time... does anybody else have an issue with timing on the first section? I am hoping and praying it's only because of the calculation heavy questions kaplan asks.

I'm doing EK practice exams now and I honestly do not like the format at all. What do you guys think of them?
their 30 min exams are like a gun to your head. its so stupid. like its all passage base and i don't feel like i learn a lot about the bio concepts. its all about interpreting their data.

Members don't see this ad :)
gah. seems like no company is an expert with the tests? EK is too hard. Kaplan is calculation heavy based how about tPR?

I'm sure the practice AAMC is not going to resemble the real thing? cause thats the only one they have out and so many people have taken the new 2015 mcat/ anyways...im so tired of studying for this test...i need a break but so much to do.

now I'm not focused on how many passages i can do , but now how much can i do to better understand a topic

Approximately how long does it take you to read a passage? Also how often do you refer back to the passage?

Honestly I haven't really timed myself per passage because I have never had a problem finishing any of the Kaplan sections within the right amount of time. In fact I have had to slow myself down. The only thing I ever check is that I'm somewhere around question 20 at the hour mark and somewhere around 40 at the 30 minute mark.

If the question asks about a specific part of the passage, I always refer to it. If the question is more general I don't go back unless I can't figure out the answer and am scanning for a piece of evidence that may help.

I'm sure the practice AAMC is not going to resemble the real thing? cause thats the only one they have out and so many people have taken the new 2015 mcat/ anyways...im so tired of studying for this test...i need a break but so much to do.
Thats what I am scared of :(

Honestly I haven't really timed myself per passage because I have never had a problem finishing any of the Kaplan sections within the right amount of time. In fact I have had to slow myself down. The only thing I ever check is that I'm somewhere around question 20 at the hour mark and somewhere around 40 at the 30 minute mark.

If the question asks about a specific part of the passage, I always refer to it. If the question is more general I don't go back unless I can't figure out the answer and am scanning for a piece of evidence that may help.
Thats what I do...I literally scan for any piece of evidence that I can find!

Taking break from C/P section of kaplan fl 5. I ran out of time... does anybody else have an issue with timing on the first section? I am hoping and praying it's only because of the calculation heavy questions kaplan asks.

I don't recall a whole lot of calculations on any Kaplan test I've taken, but I do recall having to know formulas in order to infer what happens to x when you increase/decrease y. You just look at the formulas and understand proportionality.

All my nerves seem to be getting the best of me. How do you guys feel?

Same. I basically had a panic attack yesterday because it's so close (9/12 for me). Then I got lightheaded with this terrible pressure headache at 4:00pm and had to get in bed at 9:30. I've done very little actual studying or practicing today, so today my goal is to just make sure I know enzyme kinetics inside and out since it seems to be high yield. I also need way more C/P practice, as well as Biochem. I keep going back and forth between thinking a week and a half is just enough time to do what I need to do, and then thinking it is definitely not and I won't even break 30 (or whatever the equivalent is now). We just have to keep going I guess :/.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I basically had a panic attack yesterday because it's so close (9/12 for me). Then I got lightheaded with this terrible pressure headache at 4:00pm and had to get in bed at 9:30. I've done very little actual studying or practicing today, so today my goal is to just make sure I know enzyme kinetics inside and out since it seems to be high yield. I also need way more C/P practice, as well as Biochem. I keep going back and forth between thinking a week and a half is just enough time to do what I need to do, and then thinking it is definitely not and I won't even break 30 (or whatever the equivalent is now). We just have to keep going I guess :/.
What are you going to use to study C/P? Or at least practice it?

I've been relaxed. I just listen to music during breaks, hum (I can't sing :( ), do stretches, and work out. I just keep doing as many problems as I can, review what I get wrong, and keep on truckin'. We all reach equilibrium in our studying, so it's best to think of it in terms of fate and causality. As long as you know you gave it a genuine effort, just hang on and hope for the best.

Congrats to those who are finally done! How did the real deal compare to the aamc? (Specifically section by section)

Conquered the MCAT today! Or maybe it conquered me? I honestly don't remember if I voided the exam or not because I pressed the button too fast as I was dying to leave.

I didnt know that I was working on the Chem/Phys section until after I finished that section. To those who didnt take today's exam, you might think that's crazy but honestly I thought I was working on the bio section. It wasnt till I got to the bio section that I figured out where I was.
P.S To anyone who was sitting beside me in the Toronto mcat Center, I am sorry my stomach was growling the entire time, I couldn't stop it.

Reactions: 1 users
Conquered the MCAT today! Or maybe it conquered me? I honestly don't remember if I voided the exam or not because I pressed the button too fast as I was dying to leave.

I didnt know that I was working on the Chem/Phys section until after I finished that section. To those who didnt take today's exam, you might think that's crazy but honestly I thought I was working on the bio section. It wasnt till I got to the bio section that I figured out where I was.
P.S To anyone who was sitting beside me in the Toronto mcat Center, I am sorry my stomach was growling the entire time, I couldn't stop it.
How similar was it to the AAMC FL?

This was my third time. Unfortunately , during the first two times I had undiagnosed Generalized Anxiety disorder which ruined my scores. I swore to myself that I would study for 20 weeks for the 3rd and final try (My parents wont allow me to do it a 4th time). Procrastination took the better of me again(as I still didnt receive a prescription for the disorder due to constant travelling), and I only started studying 2 weeks ago. I havent completed any practise tests in the last 2 weeks, but based on my previous 2 tries:
1:Chem/Phys was waaaaay too similar to BIO/BIOCHEM. Its like doing 2 sections on bio, 1 on verbal and one on psych.
2.Verbal was normal just like pre-2015 tests.
3.Bio was more difficult than I expected.
4.Psych was fun.

PS. If people dont understand how GAD can result in procrastination, revise on the disorders chapter. Everytime I opened an mcat book, I could feel my heart racing, so I just left it till the end.

Can anyone help me with this question? It was from the EK test #2...
For patients that develop edema secondary to renal failure, which of the follwoing factors is most directly involved in increasing blood pressure cardiac output?
a.)angiotensin ii
b.)cardiac output
c.)ADH
d.) Sympathetic Nervous system.

The answer was B, cardiac output. I thought it would be C. Do you know why it's cardiac output?

I think the question is pretty straight forward. The patient developed edema AFTER renal failture. Angeiostensin II (indirect) and ADH (direct) are both involved in increasing plasma volume and blood pressure. They're both implicated in proper functioning of the renal system, so a kidney that's failing wouldn't be able to utilize these outlets in a direct manner. Cardiac output = SV x HR. Increase in SV = increase in blood plasma = increase in BP.

I just got home and im finally freakin' done with this test (well, until my scores come out).
quick thoughts for those askin
C/P: its usually my worst section but i actually think i did very well here. Also, i swear I thought i was in the B/BC section. Mainly biochem, some orgo and gen here and there. What is physics?
CARS: im kinda meh with cars so take it with a grain of salt. similar to the aamc fl, but i had many politics and art passages, not my best suit.
B/BC: very doable, and comparable to the aamc. On a side note, I had this insanely convoluted passage that took me at least 5 mins to read and comprehend, however, out of the 4 questions, 3 were seriously unrelated to the passage and you couldve answered it w/o even looking at it.
P/S: here's where things get messy. i had to make a many educated guesses. there were SO many terms i have never seen in my life. (ive studied with the ek + tpr books and watched and took notes on every khan vid). I havent scored lower than 80% in all my practice tests on P/S but i sincerely think i effed up here.

Oh well, a little over a month for the scores. yay!

Reactions: 1 user
I love this sporcle quiz just for naming them and matching structures: http://www.sporcle.com/games/sproutcm/amino-acids-from-structures

But other than that, I'd really learned the AAs well in classes (orgo, biochemistry drilled them into me) but at least as far as a few mnemonics go:
Non-polar AAs: LIMP VAG (leu, ile, met, pro, val, ala, gly)
Essential AAs: WTF MLK HIV
Acidic: DQ (asparDick acid and glutamic acid, no fun memory tricks there)
Basic are positively charged, acidic are negatively charged. I can't think of any specific resources that stood out as being great for amino acids, but some time googling will definitely turn up a bunch of sources for some AA shortcuts.

dude your NP AA's are off. I'm 100% sure trp and phe are both NP.

I just got home and im finally freakin' done with this test (well, until my scores come out).
C/P: its usually my worst section but i actually think i did very well here. Also, i swear I thought i was in the B/BC section. Mainly biochem, some orgo and gen here and there. What is physics?
CARS: im kinda meh with cars so take it with a grain of salt. similar to the aamc fl, but i had many politics and art passages, not my best suit.
B/BC: very doable, and comparable to the aamc. On a side note, I had this insanely convoluted passage that took me at least 5 mins to read and comprehend, however, out of the 4 questions, 3 were seriously unrelated to the passage and you couldve answered it w/o even looking at it.
P/S: here's where things get messy. i had to make a many educated guesses. there were SO many terms i have never seen in my life. (ive studied with the ek + tpr books and watched and took notes on every khan vid). I havent scored lower than 80% in all my practice tests on P/S but i sincerely think i effed up here.

I think I know what bio passage your talking about. There was a bio passage that took me 10 minutes to understand. The entire test had passage questions that didnt need the passage at all. There was one psych passage where I answered all the questions without reading the passage. There were some terms I didnt understand in psych.

What do you think helped the most with C/P? My test is next friday

Well, I probably have to get a new sdn account as this current username is less likely to happen. Now its time to watch some Rick and Morty.

I think people are missing the point of some of the PS questions. When you see an unfamiliar term, it is likely testing you on deductive reasoning. Many terms in behavioral sciences are "common sense" where you can infer the meaning of a theory if you think about its context.

What do you think helped the most with C/P? My test is next friday

I know im gonna sound like a broken record but know your goddam amino acids. Structures, classifications, pKAs all that jazz. I had at least 5 questions related to AAs in the C/P section.
Other than that I think most of the answers can be derived from the passage itself

Just finished my MCAT. I thought C/P and CARS went well, and Psych/soc went pretty well but not as well as I expected. Biochem was my weak point though, I didn't even have time to do the last 2 questions.

I know im gonna sound like a broken record but know your goddam amino acids. Structures, classifications, pKAs all that jazz. I had at least 5 questions related to AAs in the C/P section.
Other than that I think most of the answers can be derived from the passage itself
What do you think the best resource is to learn all this?

For todays exam, you needed to know the polarity of AA, structures of AAs, secondary structures, 3 letter and 1 letter codes. Thats it.

Reactions: 2 users
How many hours of actual studying is everyone getting in during this last week? I am trying to walk a fine line between burning out, and under-utilizing the time I have left.

What are you going to use to study C/P? Or at least practice it?

I have the AAMC QPacks so I'll definitely go through those thoroughly, but now it sounds like those are 1) easier than the exam and thus not representative and 2) possibly not high yield in terms of content? I'll still do them though.
I was also thinking of doing some EK1001 Qs for each weak content area.

For C/P and Biochem, maybe KA passages too?

For todays exam, you needed to know the polarity of AA, structures of AAs, secondary structures, 3 letter and 1 letter codes. Thats it.

What do you mean by secondary structures? Like what keeps an a-helix or b-sheet together?

I have the AAMC QPacks so I'll definitely go through those thoroughly, but now it sounds like those are 1) easier than the exam and thus not representative and 2) possibly not high yield in terms of content? I'll still do them though.
I was also thinking of doing some EK1001 Qs for each weak content area.

For C/P and Biochem, maybe KA passages too?

What do you mean by secondary structures? Like what keeps an a-helix or b-sheet together?
Yes

YAY finally done with the test today! :)

Overall, I thought the exam was comparable to the AAMC full length and Nextstep practice exams I took.

Be warn though that if you take the next step exams before the aamc full length, you will feel while taking the aamc full length- that you have seen many of the passages before and I think nextstep while they didn't exactly copy the aamc fl length passages word for word, they did do a lot of paraphrasing/changing around context of the aamc passages --- so lot of next step's passages that tested the same concepts & had similar questions compare to the AAMC fl.

Hey everyone! Congrats to those who finally finished their MCATs today! SO jealous of you guys...hating studying as usual! I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to send me psych/sociology or bio/biochem notes. My exam is on the 23rd and my laptop got stolen yesterday out of my car :'(((((. I took written notes for chem and physics but always thought it would be easier typing notes for the rest (how much I hate the decision now). I would greatly appreciate anyone that can help!!! Keep up the studying for those who haven't taken it yet!

For your test... I don't know if that holds true for everyone...
No I wasnt talking about todays exam spicifically. Those are the only things that the AAMC will test on regarding Amino acids IN MY OPINION as I understand from the AAMC curriculm. I want to stress that those are the things you should know before every exam and not just todays.
P.S We cant talk about the questions that occured on the test, but we can talk about what people should know before the test.

How did you memorize the pKAS of the amino acids. I feel like the more you know you will be better off. Phaysics is my weakest and when I took the test in April I was glad I didn't spend much time on it because I Remeber there not being to many physics. But I'm just going over the physics equations just in case and not doing many problems just concepts. But how did you memorize the PKAS of the AA

How did you memorize the pKAS of the amino acids. I feel like the more you know you will be better off. Phaysics is my weakest and when I took the test in April I was glad I didn't spend much time on it because I Remeber there not being to many physics. But I'm just going over the physics equations just in case and not doing many problems just concepts. But how did you memorize the PKAS of the AA
You need to know:
1.How to calculate Isoelectric points.
2.The pKa of the carboxylate and amino Hydrogens. Thats it!

I'm not going to say what you need to know...

I am saying that I took the exam today. Exams vary.

Your experience may be different so I wouldn't go telling people like you're the MCAT God what is and is not tested.

Yes. Because spending 10 minutes trying to learn the things he said would be detrimental.

I'm not going to say what you need to know...

I am saying that I took the exam today. Exams vary.

Your experience may be different so I wouldn't go telling people like you're the MCAT God what is and is not tested.
Listen up Buddy. First there is no way that you need to know the pKa of every aa. You don't need to be a GOD to tell people that. Second, " you needed to know the polarity of AA, structures of AAs, secondary structures, 3 letter and 1 letter codes" not because I am telling you, but because its in the AAMC curriculum.