September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

@Hookem66 I'm doing research this summer so I'll inadvertently be reading some research articles, but I'm not planning to read any specifically as MCAT prep. I think the best thing to do (for me personally at least) I just to practice with MCAT passages. Actual research articles aren't too similar to what will be on the MCAT. I feel like it would be a waste for me because I'd spend half of my times just trying to decipher all of the jargon being used haha. Depending on how my CARS prep goes I may end up doing some reading for that, but with so much prep material available I don't think I'll run out of CARS passages...

Reactions: 1 user
September 12th! Started the Kaplan Live Online course and it begins June 13th. Hoping it is worth my money. I am sort of disturbed by the heavy HEAVY heavy.. reading they required you to do before attending "class". For example:
Review General Chemistry Chapters 1–4
Review Organic Chemistry Chapters 1–4
Review Physics and Math Chapters 1–4 and 10

THIS IS ALL FOR ONE CLASS DAY. Is this even possible?

Is it a condensed class, some type of summer intensive?

I'm doing the Altius course. I was going to self-study and my whole schedule mapped out through test day and was sticking to it for several weeks...and then I won an Altius course through Test Prep Week and so now I'm doing that. I could never have afforded a prep course so I'm so grateful to have it.

It's also a TON of work and I think that's a good thing. I've only done the first lesson and I feel like I've already learned some things beyond just content review. I think all the summer courses are a ton of work in a shorter than normal time period.

I'll be working, trying not to have too many hours, and for four weeks I'll also be taking quantitative analysis (tho not lab, I pushed that off till fall) so it'll be a lot to juggle for a bit there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sept 23. Good luck to y'all!!! Are any of y'all planning to read research articles during your studying?

I am! From what I've read here and on reddit, along with what I've heard from talking with friends who took the MCAT in April and May, I think having the mental stamina to chug through dense, jargon-filled passages is definitely a good skill to have. Plus, it's great practice for interpreting data and graphs.

Maybe somebody who has already taken the new MCAT has more insight on this? I just don't see the harm in sharpening up my skills in critically reading scientific articles...

I am! From what I've read here and on reddit, along with what I've heard from talking with friends who took the MCAT in April and May, I think having the mental stamina to chug through dense, jargon-filled passages is definitely a good skill to have. Plus, it's great practice for interpreting data and graphs.

Maybe somebody who has already taken the new MCAT has more insight on this? I just don't see the harm in sharpening up my skills in critically reading scientific articles...

Yea

The Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup has seriously impeded my studies. However I think it's a good enough excuse for my slacking.

Guys I don't want to take the MCAT a second time. I need to do well. We need to do well. Let's go, godspeed everyone!

Hey guys I'm leaning towards september 23… I started studying lightly in mid-may and taking a kaplan class now. hopefully having 10 weeks between the kaplan class ending and the mcat won't cause me to lose steam and get burnt out???

Nah, just use that time to do practice FL's and review what you're weak on. You can also use that time to do practice passages.

September 12th! Started the Kaplan Live Online course and it begins June 13th. Hoping it is worth my money. I am sort of disturbed by the heavy HEAVY heavy.. reading they required you to do before attending "class". For example:
Review General Chemistry Chapters 1–4
Review Organic Chemistry Chapters 1–4
Review Physics and Math Chapters 1–4 and 10

THIS IS ALL FOR ONE CLASS DAY. Is this even possible?
In the same boat my friend. I think it's possible. Think about it. We have Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to prepare for that class on Monday. With one rest day, I will be tackling one subject a day. It all seems like basic review anyways (atoms..periodic table.. etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
The Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup has seriously impeded my studies. However I think it's a good enough excuse for my slacking.
Same, same. Thankfully (or not..) they were playing during my finals/beginning of break.

The one thing I love about the Kaplan class is that it really does keep you on track and provides you with with loooads of resources. I just hate how the chapters in Kaplan don't go at all with EK/TBR. Did anyone on SDN possibly convert them?

EDIT: NVM, mcatjelly did. But holy... Looking at that hurts my brain more than actually studying.

Last edited:
do you guys think it'd be a good idea to couple kaplan with EK? I've heard EK is good for the critical analysis stuff but not so much for the other subjects…
AHHH I guess we need to keep in mind this is a marathon and not a sprint. Trying to breathe!!!

khan academy…good idea to watch all videos to supplement kaplan class? also, do you guys take notes/make note cards on what you review?

Signed up for Sept 23 date. I really want to do well because I bombed the April 18 one. This is the last straw
Signed up for the TPR Online Course starting Monday and have the Kaplan books.

I'm new to the site, so I'm lost as to where to find a study schedule for students taking TPR. Should I move forward with ordering EK/TBR books?

Needing some advice!!

Welcome to the club, gibranmd2. I too, don't wish to take the mcat again. we need to get this mcat done!

...but i feel lazy today and i'm also having people over because of father's day. ughhh. whatever. i guess today is break day :/

Question about the CARS section. If we get to a question that asks how a word was used in the passage/paragraph, will the word be highlighted in the passage for that question or is it on us to track the word down?

Question about the CARS section. If we get to a question that asks how a word was used in the passage/paragraph, will the word be highlighted in the passage for that question or is it on us to track the word down?
I have not taken the mcat yet but I think it is up to us to find the word…though I wonder what the likelihood would be of such a specific question.

up to you.

I have not taken the mcat yet but I think it is up to us to find the word…though I wonder what the likelihood would be of such a specific question.

In a few of the practice passage I've done in the TPR CARS review book, I had to define how a word was used in the passage and it took me forever to find the word!! I'm assuming too that it's up to us to find the word, but I was just making sure.

up to you.
Sorry if I wasn't very clear with my question. I know that I can highlight words on the passage myself, but if a question specifically asks to define a certain word in the passage, will the word automatically be highlighted or marked in a certain way to make it easier to find the word?

Joining you guys in this thread, targeting the September 23rd MCAT.

Balanced 31 on old MCAT, but my score is set to expire and I don't want to be stuck in a tough spot if I can't get in this cycle for some reason. 92 days until the exam and that should be enough. Just finished setting up my content review schedule- ready to do this!

In a few of the practice passage I've done in the TPR CARS review book, I had to define how a word was used in the passage and it took me forever to find the word!! I'm assuming too that it's up to us to find the word, but I was just making sure.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear with my question. I know that I can highlight words on the passage myself, but if a question specifically asks to define a certain word in the passage, will the word automatically be highlighted or marked in a certain way to make it easier to find the word?

I believe you might be able to do control + F to look up the word but hopefully someone can confirm this

I believe you might be able to do control + F to look up the word but hopefully someone can confirm this

Can someone clarify if this is true? Even though ctrl F worked on AAMC practice exams, on the old MCAT this function was disabled on the actual exam. Not sure if MCAT 2015 is different, though.

Can someone clarify if this is true? Even though ctrl F worked on AAMC practice exams, on the old MCAT this function was disabled on the actual exam. Not sure if MCAT 2015 is different, though.
Still can't on the real thing from what I've read on the June MCAT thread.

how much stuff do you all write down when you are studying? I started out making flashcards for literally every paragraph of info I reviewed in kaplan books/watched in review videos but I don't think that's useful…I'll never be able to go through them all and study them since it's getting to be a massive pile of note cards! So I think what I'm settling on is writing notes in margins and making flashcards for things like processes/discrete memorization things that I don't know yet…eh? thoughts? So 3 months to test day! good luck with your studying friends!

The one thing I love about the Kaplan class is that it really does keep you on track and provides you with with loooads of resources. I just hate how the chapters in Kaplan don't go at all with EK/TBR. Did anyone on SDN possibly convert them?

EDIT: NVM, mcatjelly did. But holy... Looking at that hurts my brain more than actually studying.
I'm finding it difficult to keep up and catch on to the reading assignments. For example, another lecture asked us to read chapters 1-8 of Biochemistry and then 1 day later we had another lecture with chapters 1-3 Behavioral Sciences and chapters 11-12 for Physics. Literally impossible to keep up. I made my own schedule which equates to about 2 chapters per day. The practice problems they give are in accordance with the material you were supposed to read for that lecture. So once I finish the assigned readings for that lecture, I will go and do those practice probs. I still feel like my approach isn't that effective. My first FL is on Saturday so we will see.

how much stuff do you all write down when you are studying?

I write down notes as I usually would, if I were learning the subject for the first time. I find that writing detailed notes helps keep me focused. It's definitely more time consuming than just reading would be, but also more active, so that has to count for something.

Reactions: 1 users
I write down notes as I usually would, if I were learning the subject for the first time. I find that writing detailed notes helps keep me focused. It's definitely more time consuming than just reading would be, but also more active, so that has to count for something.

I do this, then I condense/transfer my notes onto flashcards later.

I am a very visual learning though - writing things out multiple times really helps me learn them.

I took three practice exams for the new MCAT(missed the old one) And I am pretty discouraged. I got a 494 on the NS diagnostic. On the Official AAMC exam I got a 60% in Physical sciences( physics is the very bane of my existence. Did not learn jack in that awful class and still got an A) 70% in CARS, 71% in Bio, and 69% in Psych. Then I took EK FL #1 which really did my confidence in. 53% CP, 64% in CARS, 68% in Bio and 63% in Psych. I take it September 12th. Is it too early to Panic? I work full time and that doesn't help. :(.

I took three practice exams for the new MCAT(missed the old one) And I am pretty discouraged. I got a 494 on the NS diagnostic. On the Official AAMC exam I got a 60% in Physical sciences( physics is the very bane of my existence. Did not learn jack in that awful class and still got an A) 70% in CARS, 71% in Bio, and 69% in Psych. Then I took EK FL #1 which really did my confidence in. 53% CP, 64% in CARS, 68% in Bio and 63% in Psych. I take it September 12th. Is it too early to Panic? I work full time and that doesn't help. :(.

How far are you in your studying? If you have just started I think you should review those tests and see where your weak points are and focus on them. Then move on to more practice FL's and passages and keep repeating that. I have just started stydying and the diagnostic I took gave me similar scores. I think I still have plenty to improve on because I just began studying.

Currently taking the TPR online class. Signed up for this 23rd date. Not too solid on any topics, but willing to put in the work.

Question though. Which books are best for content review? TPR or EK?

I'm just reading Kaplan. I also use TBR for passages that relate to whatever studying I did that day. I also try to squeeze in some verbal.

I started studying a long time ago. I did content review for three months and started practice testing 3-4 weeks ago. Maybe I am panicking too early. I am focusing on physical sciences. Are those scores OK for someone who started test prep?

I started studying a long time ago. I did content review for three months and started practice testing 3-4 weeks ago. Maybe I am panicking too early. I am focusing on physical sciences. Are those scores OK for someone who started test prep?
If you're already finished with content review I wouldn't worry about those scores. Review your exams thoroughly to determine your weaknesses and go back and study up on topics you had difficulty with. You have plenty of time!

Hello friends! Signed up for Sept. 5th date a while ago, been neglecting SDN unfortunately though, this is my first post in a while!

@microkid1992 I wouldn't worry about your scores yet, you're still early in the prep process. I scored a 496 on the NS diagnostic which I took about 3 weeks ago. It was a confidence rattler for sure, but I found my biggest difficulty was just relaxing, having confidence, and developing exam strategies that work for me.

Realize the MCAT is NOT above your head, even when you're taking the exam and reading bio passages talking about all sorts of crazy protein names and processes and you're thinking "Wtf is all this sh** I don't even know what this is talking about..." You just have to distill all the crazy protein names and things down to their essence. I find it helpful to make a quick concept map on scratch paper if it gets too confusing. This protein does this, this protein inhibits that process, etc. As I'm studying I'm finding that you don't need to know all the minute details to do well, just develop strategies that you can employ during the exam that work for you.

They will give you the paragraph number and that's it. It will be up to you to find it within the paragraph.

Currently taking the TPR online class. Signed up for this 23rd date. Not too solid on any topics, but willing to put in the work.

Question though. Which books are best for content review? TPR or EK?

I'm using EK for content review and it's really great so far. I had tried using TBR for content but it took way too long and was super complex. But with EK I understand the concepts quickly. I'm still using TBR passages for practice though and that has been going quite well. @mcatjelly has a study schedule that relates EK to TBR which has been the most helpful thing ever!!!

Signed up for the September 12th mcat. Super nervous. Took Kaplan diagnostic and scored a 490 which was a complete bummer. I'm finding that it's harder to upkeep with Kaplan study schedule since I work full time... Anyone encounter similar issues with any other review course you may have taken? Or even those that are self studying with a full time job?

Reactions: 1 users
Signed up for the September 12th mcat. Super nervous. Took Kaplan diagnostic and scored a 490 which was a complete bummer. I'm finding that it's harder to upkeep with Kaplan study schedule since I work full time... Anyone encounter similar issues with any other review course you may have taken? Or even those that are self studying with a full time job?

Hey, so I know a few people I know who are taking the new MCAT and work full time. One of them did the MCAT 2-3 days after our last class, I wouldn't personally recommend this but I'm almost 100% sure this individual was scoring 505+ from the start. They already had a great foundation for the old MCAT but just didn't have a good testing day experience despite a very high AAMC average (37+) with minimal prep of about a month

There was another individual who set up the date for a month later in July when the course finished in mid June. Although, I know she took I believe 1 or 2 FLs during the course but didn't have too much time otherwise to review everything. If I had to guess, this individual is probably around 498-500. Then I know some other non-trads who took a FL at the beginning of June an scored a 498 without really doing any review/prep. This was for a TPR course. Course ended a few weeks later in mid June. A lot of the younger college students in our class weren't applying this year so they planned to take the MCAT in September.

I personally would recommend if you have it scheduled out to be that way to have at least 2-4 weeks between the end of your course and the test date. Although the person who worked full time in my course took the MCAT 2-3 days after our last class, I felt that individual was super stressed and had to take their last remaining FLs pretty quickly. This person I believe scored a 80%+ in each AAMC section individually so I would say she's one of those select few people who are able to knock out the MCAT quicker than others.

On the side note, most people in my class were at least 2 years out of college. At least 1/2 the class was working full time and usually had trouble keeping up with the recommended schedule.

have any of you done a FL yet? Any tips for approaching it? I'm scared!
Relax and be confident. A lot of people look at the MCAT as a huge beast of an exam that they have to try and slay like David and Goliath or something, don't let that mentality slip in to your head! It's just an exam, you're in control.
It's also easy to worry about not doing well, but you have a bunch of time to improve! I've only taken one half length and then the AAMC 2015 FL, but the FL was a huge improvement over my half mainly because I relaxed and didn't worry about anything except the questions in front of me.

Just registered for September 12th yesterday - LOL. There were some seats left still! Taking Kaplan prep, and still 2 weeks left to just finish my content review. Then I start doing FL's and focus on weak spots. So far I think it's not the hard content that gives me troubles as bad study habits. I just can't sit down straight for more than 2 hours. Have to exercise in between or do some walking etc. My sister can sit for 5 hours straight and study - but that's insane for me. Biggest challenge is not MCAT it's your inner lazy ego - that son of a gun.

Just registered for September 12th yesterday - LOL. There were some seats left still! Taking Kaplan prep, and still 2 weeks left to just finish my content review. Then I start doing FL's and focus on weak spots. So far I think it's not the hard content that gives me troubles as bad study habits. I just can't sit down straight for more than 2 hours. Have to exercise in between or do some walking etc. My sister can sit for 5 hours straight and study - but that's insane for me. Biggest challenge is not MCAT it's your inner lazy ego - that son of a gun.
If you're almost done with content review this soon you should be fine! (I'll probably spend all of July finishing content view and then August for practice/Kaplan FLs ). You'll also be spending that extra time to practice and get used to taking 7.5 hr FLs.

If you're almost done with content review this soon you should be fine! (I'll probably spend all of July finishing content view and then August for practice/Kaplan FLs ). You'll also be spending that extra time to practice and get used to taking 7.5 hr FLs.
I started 1 month ago. In general I'm going 3-4 chapters a day. So in total it takes around 2 months at most to finish content review. However, this is just 1st reading - some details, formulas and minor stuff will still slip through memory. Hopefully those details will be dealt with while doing FL's and working on mistakes.

I started 1 month ago. In general I'm going 3-4 chapters a day. So in total it takes around 2 months at most to finish content review. However, this is just 1st reading - some details, formulas and minor stuff will still slip through memory. Hopefully those details will be dealt with while doing FL's and working on mistakes.
Oh my gosh, 2-3 chapters per day?! I'm struggling to do 2 chapters per day. I usually end up doing 1 chapter if the content is heavy. I'm hoping I can finish content review soon though!