September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

ugh there goes another wave of canadians bombing the CARS section of the MCAT (121-124) on reddit subforum. Seriously though, do Canadians get a different CARS or what lol

I feel like many Canadians who're applying to Canadian schools (which IIRC have CARS cutoffs) are more likely to post about poor CARS scores.

Just a guess!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I took the MCAT on September 3rd and didn't get the scores I expected BUT I am NOT giving up. From what I'm reading, it seems like most of you guys killed it. Major Congrats to all of you.

Now, I plan to re-take it in January or April and I'm in desperate need of you guys.

About me:
-I'm a non-traditional student with a Bachelors in Business.
-Completed all pre-requisites with mostly A's.
-English is my second language.
-I really want to go to Medical School!

I studied hard-core this summer using the Kaplan 2015 Edition, took one of the ExamKrackers Practice, the AAMC Practice Exam and their individual set of questions. I understand the material but have a hard time interpreting the questions from the passages. Therefore, I'm strongly considering on purchasing an online course, not just for the material but mainly to get feed back on what I'm missing. Do you guys recommend it? if so, which ones?

Or anything else I should do?

Thank you!

@ncastill - I use Kaplan online and now their advanced course. It has been critical for me and will be in prep for Jan 2016.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I took the MCAT on September 3rd and didn't get the scores I expected BUT I am NOT giving up. From what I'm reading, it seems like most of you guys killed it. Major Congrats to all of you.

Now, I plan to re-take it in January or April and I'm in desperate need of you guys.

About me:
-I'm a non-traditional student with a Bachelors in Business.
-Completed all pre-requisites with mostly A's.
-English is my second language.
-I really want to go to Medical School!

I studied hard-core this summer using the Kaplan 2015 Edition, took one of the ExamKrackers Practice, the AAMC Practice Exam and their individual set of questions. I understand the material but have a hard time interpreting the questions from the passages. Therefore, I'm strongly considering on purchasing an online course, not just for the material but mainly to get feed back on what I'm missing. Do you guys recommend it? if so, which ones?

Or anything else I should do?

Thank you!

I chose to wait because my AAMC FL was not predicting a score I wanted. I noticed that people who have done well have taken a lot more practice tests than I had. So I plan to take a lot of practice tests, maybe that would help you too? Good luck! Sounds like you have accomplished a lot! :)

Congrats to all you guys . I wish you all the best in the biggest way. Now time to par-tay!!! Lol
Hopefully I can feel just as good as you guys do when my scores are posted in a few weeks

Shaking in my boots here, waiting for oct. 13.. So anxious... To all of the test takers who did well, how did you feel after you finished the test.

Shaking in my boots here, waiting for oct. 13.. So anxious... To all of the test takers who did well, how did you feel after you finished the test.
I remember thinking "omg i got that one wrong... and that one... AND that one... omg and that OTHER one...." when i got out of the exam, and every day my confidence level went down because I kept remembering those "iffy" questions that I made educated(?) guesses on. I ended up getting a 517- don't be too hard on yourself. This was my second time taking the exam, and i felt really good right after taking my first one (but i ended up getting a 30). Good luck!!

T327njY.png

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those who got their scores back! Must be a huge relief, I'm just anxiously waiting for Oct. 13th.

Anyone know what times the scores are released? Is it 5PM EST?

503 128/125/125/125;

Not exactly sure what happened. Felt confident through most of the test.
I guess there's always next year.

Do you guys know if that qualifies for any decent DO schools? Or should I just retest and wait for the next cycle?

My EC's are decent, and GPA is about a 3.5.

503 128/125/125/125;

Do you guys know if that qualifies for any decent DO schools? Or should I just retest and wait for the next cycle?

You're in range for DO. Even better if you apply early and broadly.

What did you get on the AAMC FL?

So I took the September 23 test. I got little rest the night before and I am not a morning person. I used to work midnights for 4 years and now I work 3p-3a as a PCT. Anyway, I felt good during C/P but I am convinced I bombed CARS. I got tired and a horrible headache, eye pain, and fatigue which continued during the rest of the exam. That and I couldn't remember my aminos :( .
So provided I have to retake in Jan, what is good practice for CARS? I have the Kaplan 7 book series. My biggest worry is without a doubt CARS. I could never narrow it down to ONE answer that I LOVED and believed was right.
Thanks guys.

September 3rd exam
516 | 128 [87%]/129 [90%]/128 [87%]/131 [98%] [95% overall]

Psychology major with some post-bacc:
1 year of Biology
1 year of A&P
1 year of Inorganic Chem
1 year of Organic Chem
1 semester of Physics (No Electromagnetics/Light, or Thermodynamics)

1 month of studying with ExamKracker's books, a little Khan Academy. No other prep materials.

I'm having trouble processing what happened. I walked out of the exam ashamed of my performance. I'd never taken Biochemistry, Genetics, or Physics II, and the review materials did not adequately prepare me for them. I felt like I flubbed half the material in Biochemistry and Physical areas. In spite of that, I scored in the 95th percentile.

I'm guessing some combination of:
* Eternal pessimism/poor self-esteem
* Unrealistic expectations about mastery expected on the exam. (Also the weighting of the subject areas)
* Underestimation of the emphasis of the new format on critical thinking over high yield subjects.
* The standardized nature of the test paired with the overall poor performance of test takers in general.

September 3rd exam
516 | 128 [87%]/129 [90%]/128 [87%]/131 [98%] [95% overall]

Psychology major with some post-bacc:
1 year of Biology
1 year of A&P
1 year of Inorganic Chem
1 year of Organic Chem
1 semester of Physics (No Electromagnetics/Light, or Thermodynamics)

1 month of studying with ExamKracker's books, a little Khan Academy. No other prep materials.

I'm having trouble processing what happened. I walked out of the exam ashamed of my performance. I'd never taken Biochemistry, Genetics, or Physics II, and the review materials did not adequately prepare me for them. I felt like I flubbed half the material in Biochemistry and Physical areas. In spite of that, I scored in the 95th percentile.

I'm guessing some combination of:
* Eternal pessimism/poor self-esteem
* Unrealistic expectations about mastery expected on the exam. (Also the weighting of the subject areas)
* Underestimation of the emphasis of the new format on critical thinking over high yield subjects.
* The standardized nature of the test paired with the overall poor performance of test takers in general.

AAMC FL?

Never took it. By the time I finished reviewing materials, I had a week left before the exam. Didn't have time to change studying style, so it would have just been a $35 predictor of uncertain value. I guess the main value would have been getting me to take applications more seriously, because I missed the deadlines.

@ncastill - I use Kaplan online and now their advanced course. It has been critical for me and will be in prep for Jan 2016.
Do you feel like the Kaplan Online program has made a difference? Are you taking the "live Online" or "self-paced?

I'm strongly looking at the Examkrackers online program because the practice exam I took was very similar to the AAMC FL.

These online programs are so expensive, so choosing the right one makes it so hard.

Btw, thanks for responding. :thumbup:

I chose to wait because my AAMC FL was not predicting a score I wanted. I noticed that people who have done well have taken a lot more practice tests than I had. So I plan to take a lot of practice tests, maybe that would help you too? Good luck! Sounds like you have accomplished a lot! :)

@drbeat14 Yeah, I agree with you. It seems like practice is what I need. My AAMC FL score was not the highest either but I had hopes that all the study time would make a difference at the end.

So are you taking it in January?

Thanks, it has been hard but I'm trying to make the best of it.

@ncastill - live online. I took the regular online for a presumed 2015 test date; I've signed up for the advanced course for 1/23 test. The new books are arriving today.

I do believe it strongly helped me with many aspects. Plus, Kaplan has live online specialty sessions spread throughout the week. Perhaps, the other test prep companies do the same.

Someone else mentioned one size does not fit all. I agree. As such, I did purchase the TPR Psych/Soc and got 3 FL practice exams from them. Also, I did watch Khan Academy videos to shore up anything I felt I needed extra help on.

EK might have exams that are similar in nature to the real thing. What helps frame my thoughts is that by and large, everyone who took the Kaplan course (and TPR) has said they felt the real thing was easier.

503 128/125/125/125;

I'd definitely apply to DO schools. It's getting late this cycle so fill out the app now if you want the best shot.

Has anyone updated the excel predictor (or made significant progress at it)? There are ~70 new scores added to the google doc.

I'm trying to add the data in but I'm painfully slow at it and have a tiny keyboard that makes it hard. I added like 8 more scores and couldn't do it anymore lol.

That's exactly how I feel haha

I was getting 510-513 on all TPR tests I took. Watch me get a 508 with 123 in CARS lmao 6 more days

Pretty sure you will score above 513. Those TPRs were legit, at least I think they helped me a lot even though I could go over 505. And none that non sense as far as CARS!!!!

CARS is my weakest ;)

I took my MCAT on 9/12 and didn't void it as I remember . I just logged into my account to check my status, I am freaking out right now because the display shows my recent MCAT date was only 1/10/2015, which was the first time I took it. Does anyone here who is also a re-taker have the same problem like me? I already emailed AAMC, but haven't received their reply yet. I'm really worried and can't concentrate on studying for my quiz tomorrow at all :(

I didn't 100% feel awesome but definitely better than the first time I took it. I'll take any scores above 506!! I hope I won't have to retake it again.

503 128/125/125/125;

If you don't mind me asking, what were you scoring on your practice tests?

Has anyone updated the excel predictor (or made significant progress at it)? There are ~70 new scores added to the google doc.

I'm trying to add the data in but I'm painfully slow at it and have a tiny keyboard that makes it hard. I added like 8 more scores and couldn't do it anymore lol.
where can i find this predictor?

where can i find this predictor?

here it is! I don't know who to give credit to but I definitely didn't make it.

Input your AAMC FL percentages as decimals on the left and it'll spit out your predicted range of scores.
This is taken from ~100+ test takers who posted their AAMC percentages and then their real scores.

Attachments

• Updated AAMC fl predictor-2.xlsx
    61.4 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: 1 users
I had a dream last night that I checked my score and I did terrible! What would the psychoanalytic theorists say about this? I'm freaking out.

For some odd reason I woke up yesterday morning thinking my score was released..it was the weirdest thing. I kept waking up every hour or so and kept saying to myself "this is too early, you don't wanna wait all day for it". Anyway, regarding the sept.12 exam, did anyone have their cars section talk about ships/boats? If so, how difficult do you think the cars was overall? After my practice fl's I would usually remember a good chunk of the exam. On the other hand, during the actual exam, I walked out not being able to remember anything besides a ship passage. Also, if I have mentioned too much, someone please let me know and I'll edit/delete.

For some reason, when I come to this tread I feel better. lmao!!! The anxiety its real. I wouldn't even know how to act on October 13th. ;)

I vaguely remember having a dream last night that my score came out. I don't remember the score but I do remember that I was not happy.

Ugh. It's the final stretch y'all.

Dammit, I feel like my score is going to be lower the closer I get to Tuesday. I walked out of the testing center very optimistic and felt pretty prepared for what I saw on the test, but now I can't help but feel like maybe I royally screwed up.

Dammit, I feel like my score is going to be lower the closer I get to Tuesday. I walked out of the testing center very optimistic and felt pretty prepared for what I saw on the test, but now I can't help but feel like maybe I royally screwed up.

Walking out feeling optimistic only to be tormented by an impending doom that seems to get worse as the days go by usually means you did just fine

I had a dream last night about my score as well. I just remember telling people that my overall was a 75%, so I guess something like a 508. But I sure would love for it to be higher! Still waiting until the 27th, which just happens to be the week of my fall break... Oh joy. I'll either have a great break or one of the worst.

I'm hoping the scores get posted early on Tuesday. I would hate to have to wait until 4-5pm. The earliest it can be posted by I think is around 8-9am.

Word.

I feel like I really, really, really screwed up... again.

Last edited:
did anyone have their cars section talk about ships/boats? If so, how difficult do you think the cars was overall? After my practice fl's I would usually remember a good chunk of the exam. On the other hand, during the actual exam, I walked out not being able to remember anything besides a ship passage.

I remember the ship passage, i think it was my very last one. something about losing treasure or finding it, then losing it again. Then wrong people finding it. From what i can remember it was not a struggle passage. The one about the writer in the forest, writing about the forest, in the forest was fun

Wow it's almost been a month since I posted here.... Just 4 more days omg.... I have an exam on Tuesday morning too so hoping I'm not too nervous about the MCAT during that lolol