Serious about Pre-studying for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Starchild

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all I have been lucky enough to have been accepted into medical school for 2017, and I'm going to seriously start studying now. Im going to study for 3-4 hours a day, so as to leave time for enjoyable activities. I'm going to be studying for the next 9 months until next august. I understand that burnout is the biggest risk of pre-studying and that's why I also intend to leave plenty of room for enjoyable activities.

I find it very hard to believe that long term, focused studying cannot benefit me greatly in medical school. Especially since I've looked at my school's curricular design, and some of the books they use. I'm going to start by reading a standard A&P text book, then read Lippincots Biochem and Cell & Mol Bio, and afterwards read Guyton Hall Medical Physiology, all the while using Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards. This may seem a bit ambitious, but remember this is going to be done for around 4 hours a day for 10 months.

I would appreciate if anyone who also plans on pre-studying, has advice on how to go about it, on what books to read, or perhaps wants to share they're approach.

I would also appreciate any and all advice, comments, insults, and death threats. Especially the ones that warn me not to, tell me I'm wasting my time, poke-fun at my gunneristic gunmanship, or tell me how futile my attempts will be. Seriously, don't be shy...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I haven't been accepted yet but I've started prestudying to help keep me sane while waiting for IIs. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I actually find studying and reading books to be very calming when you're reading for the sake of knowledge and not to fill in some bubbles on a test.

When I broached the subject of pre-studying to my interviewers and other med students at my interviews they were very supportive. They of course said I didn't NEED to start now but if I wanted to that it would be beneficial in the long run.

A lot of people at my interviews mentioned First Aid is a good book for that sort of thing (it's a USMLE Step 1 book). It also has really funny quotes at the beginning of each section.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello y'all I have been lucky enough to have been accepted into medical school for 2017, and I'm going to seriously start studying now. Im going to study for 3-4 hours a day, so as to leave time for enjoyable activities. I'm going to be studying for the next 9 months until next august. I understand that burnout is the biggest risk of pre-studying and that's why I also intend to leave plenty of room for enjoyable activities.

I find it very hard to believe that long term, focused studying cannot benefit me greatly in medical school. Especially since I've looked at my school's curricular design, and some of the books they use. I'm going to start by reading a standard A&P text book, then read Lippincots Biochem and Cell & Mol Bio, and afterwards read Guyton Hall Medical Physiology, all the while using Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards. This may seem a bit ambitious, but remember this is going to be done for around 4 hours a day for 10 months.

I would appreciate if anyone who also plans on pre-studying, has advice on how to go about it, on what books to read, or perhaps wants to share they're approach.

I would also appreciate any and all advice, comments, insults, and death threats. Especially the ones that warn me not to, tell me I'm wasting my time, poke-fun at my gunneristic gunmanship, or tell me how futile my attempts will be. Seriously, don't be shy...

Threads like these are why I don't come to pre-allo anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 40 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been accepted yet but I've started prestudying to help keep me sane while waiting for IIs. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I actually find studying and reading books to be very calming when you're reading for the sake of knowledge and not to fill in some bubbles on a test.

When I broached the subject of pre-studying to my interviewers and other med students at my interviews they were very supportive. They of course said I didn't NEED to start now but if I wanted to that it would be beneficial in the long run.

A lot of people at my interviews mentioned First Aid is a good book for that sort of thing (it's a USMLE Step 1 book). It also has really funny quotes at the beginning of each section.
I think that first Aid is a great book, but I think it would be more beneficial after having read some text and review books, like Physiology by Costanzo, or Histology, etc.

I think that first Aid is a great book, but I think it would be more beneficial after having read some text and review books, like Physiology by Costanzo, or Histology, etc.
Yeah that's probably a good idea too. I personally learn well if I can look over broad topics and vocabulary briefly before going in depth even if I don't completely understand them.

Why not just travel and knock out a bucket list prior to school? This is one of the last times you'll have this much time to actually do what you want. Why waste it on studying when you'll be studying for the next 4 years?

**Edit**
Not trying to attack you, just curious.

Reactions: 19 users
If you haven't started studying FA and pathoma before the end of your freshman year of college, you are not serious about this profession and will only get into primary care.

Reactions: 47 users
Why not just travel and knock out a bucket list prior to school? This is one of the last times you'll have this much time to actually do what you want. Why waste it on studying when you'll be studying for the next 4 years?

**Edit**
Not trying to attack you, just curious.

I don't really have the money to travel but I do plan to do a lot of fun things that I never got to do during undergrad. Things like go to an apple orchard, cedar point, play soccer at my local parks, etc.

Reactions: 5 users

What's the end goal really? Why not just causally "read" not "study" things you are interested in? Studying every day for 9 months seems pretty aggressive even at only 3-4 hours a day. If this is something you're going to ENJOY, then I don't see the problem. But if this is going to bring stress to your life I'd drop the idea.

If you haven't started studying FA and pathoma before the end of your freshman year of college, you are not serious about this profession and will only get into primary care.
Lol good one. Thanks for the warning. I don't really mind primary care tho.

Reactions: 2 users
I personally like studying and reading. The only wrinkle is I find it difficult to force myself to study a specific subject that I'm not interested in.

Right now I'm interested in studying about med school stuff but I often also find myself in situations where I for example should be studying reactions for orgo but go on an all night binge about different types of microscopy or Roman land reform.

I really don't like doing things just for the sake of building up my CV/application stats. I can't wait until I'm in med school and can just focus on learning for another 4 years until I have to jump through application hoops again.

Last edited:
$20 says you spend 9 months prestudying and still end up average in your class.

Reactions: 38 users

If you are very familiar with a certain subject, it does help to know it before you take it in med school. I think that's just common sense, if you've seen it before you will recall it faster when studying for it again or you might already have it memorized. But I think it's only helpful if you really learned a certain subject and spent a significant amount of time on it prior to starting. If you're just planning on glossing over some concepts for funsies then you're wasting your time. You will probably forget it anyway by the time school starts. With that being said I don't think it's necessary or smart to put in a great amount of effort into studying before school starts. You might end up focusing on things that will not even be that important.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really have the money to travel but I do plan to do a lot of fun things that I never got to do during undergrad. Things like go to an apple orchard, cedar point, play soccer at my local parks, etc.

I don't think studying 3-4 hours a day is that big of a deal if you've graduated and don't currently have a job. If you have tons of free time then go for it and do what makes you happy!

What's the end goal really? Why not just causally "read" not "study" things you are interested in? Studying every day for 9 months seems pretty aggressive even at only 3-4 hours a day. If this is something you're going to ENJOY, then I don't see the problem. But if this is going to bring stress to your life I'd drop the idea.

I don't mind the studying. If anything it is a source of relief for me to know I'm doing something productive for medical school.

I'm not "pre-studying" med school stuff, but I didn't take biochem in undergrad, so I am going over this online course that I have found. I spend ~3hrs a week on it, so it's not taking away from my pre med school life, but I do feel like having gone over the material than many of my classmates will have seen already and which will be covered very quickly in the first year of med school will be helpful for me.

I think starting to study path or First Aid at this point is a bit too much for me, but whatever floats your boat, OP!

Part of the reason why I don't mind looking over stuff early is that I'm not afraid of "wasting my time" learning stuff that won't be on a standardized test or necessarily useful in med school. Even if I don't remember the stuff later, I don't think it's a waste of my time as long as I'm enjoying myself in the moment and the time spent is not detrimental to my job.

The way I approach life is I do stuff that makes me happy and doesn't hurt other people. It's been working out reasonably well so far.

Reactions: 5 users

Usually, the recommendations against prestudying are just that: recommendations. This is because you'll spend much of med school + residency + fellowship etc. studying anyways, so why not make these next several months doing whatever you want, having fun and relaxing?

But if you want to spend the next several months prestudying, go for it. I don't care. Although personally, if I really wanted to do something productive, I'd pick up a pretty nice research gig and get some presentations and publications out of it that can be helpful for my residency app.

Reactions: 7 users
$20 says you spend 9 months prestudying and still end up average in your class.
Being "average" in a class full of future MDs is nothing to sneeze at though.

Reactions: 4 users
1, traveling isn't all that expensive. Get a full time job for four months making $12/hr, now you have 7k saved (assuming you continue to use other money for living expenses). That's easily three months in South America or se Asia. If you're adventurous it's plenty for China India or Africa. Traveling isn't for everyone but you can do it now. You won't be able to just leave for a few months ever again.
2, you couldn't go to an Apple orchard in college?
I haven't been accepted yet but I've started prestudying to help keep me sane while waiting for IIs.
:wtf:

Bro, do what you want! Personally, I think it's a great idea to kill time and prepare for the major med school heavy workload. As long as you don't burn out and still do enjoyable things, why not? Do what you want, it's your time...
(P.S. I'm going to travel to India though)

I'm not "pre-studying" med school stuff, but I didn't take biochem in undergrad, so I am going over this online course that I have found. I spend ~3hrs a week on it, so it's not taking away from my pre med school life, but I do feel like having gone over the material than many of my classmates will have seen already and which will be covered very quickly in the first year of med school will be helpful for me.

I think starting to study path or First Aid at this point is a bit too much for me, but whatever floats your boat, OP!

I'm in the same boat as far as biochem and was thinking about taking an online course to prep. Did you find something for free that has been useful so far?

Usually, the recommendations against prestudying are just that: recommendations. This is because you'll spend much of med school + residency + fellowship etc. studying anyways, so why not make these next several months doing whatever you want, having fun and relaxing?

But if you want to spend the next several months prestudying, go for it. I don't care. Although personally, if I really wanted to do something productive, I'd pick up a pretty nice research gig and get some presentations and publications out of it that can be helpful for my residency app.

Do you think messaging an instructor/PI at the med-school I intend to attend, to try and get a research position will be a good idea?

Don't do it. It's not worth it.

I'm in the same boat as far as biochem and was thinking about taking an online course to prep. Did you find something for free that has been useful so far?
Yep- there's a class called biochem for premeds on itunes-u that I stumbled across. It's taught by Dr. Ahern (I think is his name). Lots of resources, great lectures. It's been a great so far

1, traveling isn't all that expensive. Get a full time job for four months making $12/hr, now you have 7k saved (assuming you continue to use other money for living expenses). That's easily three months in South America or se Asia. If you're adventurous it's plenty for China India or Africa. Traveling isn't for everyone but you can do it now. You won't be able to just leave for a few months ever again.
2, you couldn't go to an Apple orchard in college?

:wtf:
That's pretty much my reaction to people who like traveling just for the sake of traveling or going to apple orchards. I respect your hobbies and think you should do them but I personally can't derive pleasure from them and I'm okay with that.

Yep- there's a class called biochem for premeds on itunes-u that I stumbled across. It's taught by Dr. Ahern (I think is his name). Lots of resources, great lectures. It's been a great so far
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

I highly recommend you pre-study how to study before you start studying.

This way you can prepare while you prepare for what you are preparing for.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 28 users

Aaahhh I see now. And I feel you on that broke grind. Well bud best of luck on your endeavors, hopefully you are able to do some really exciting things during this year though if finances permit.

What is the point of this? So for a couple months you can "impress" your classmates with your pre-studied knowledge of G6PD deficiency? What will you be doing with the time you anticipate saving during your MSI courses? Pre-studying for your MS2 courses?

Lol... Pre-meds...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
I agree. On a side note your Avatar reminds me of John Mccafe
John-McAfee-e1353322612288_zps9a8ab6b6.jpg

If you actually intend on doing this, come back after your preclinical years and tell us if you thought it helped.

Reactions: 6 users
Duolingo is great for learning a foreign language

If you are a premed giving other premeds advice about when to read First Aid you need to slow your ****ing roll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

If you are a premed giving other premeds advice about when to read First Aid you need to slow your ****ing roll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
Would it be ok to start posting in Allo for advice regarding stuff like this?

Allo and Osteo already have threads up on this topic. You're already too slow.

Falling behind my friend. How do you expect to pass your Board Certification at this rate?

Allo and Osteo already have threads up on this topic. You're already too slow.

Falling behind my friend.
I just dont venture there because of the general disdain for pre-meds on that board.

People do every year, and I can already tell you how the thread goes:

Med students: don't prestudy.
MS-0: guys I am different than you and prestudying is going to be a great use of my time. Lol I love studying and I don't get burnout.
Med students: why did you make this thread if you're going to ignore the advice from people who actually know what they're talking about?
MS-0: why are you guys so mean? You're probably just putting me down because you didn't have the motivation to prestudy yourselves. I swear I know somebody in med school who told me they honored everything because they prestudied.
Med students: really though don't prestudy.
MS-0: screw you guys I'll be back to bump this thread after I honor everything with half the work of my classmates thanks to prestudying and I get a top 3 derm program.

And then we never hear from them again.

Reactions: 19 users
It's because you were devaluing physician salaries. Silly.
i am a contrarian by heart. when people say zig, i zag. when they say buy i sell. that thread was also started in pre-allo. Plus I was making arguments based on evidence that I was providing.

MS-0: guys I am different than you and prestudying is going to be a great use of my time. Lol I love studying and I don't get burnout.
Med students: why did you make this thread if you're going to ignore the advice from people who actually know what they're talking about?
MS-0: why are you guys so mean? You're probably just putting me down because you didn't have the motivation to prestudy yourselves. I swear I know somebody in med school who told me they honored everything because they prestudied.
MS-0: screw you guys I'll be back to bump this thread after I honor everything with half the work of my classmates thanks to prestudying and I get a top 3 derm program.

I was more interested in plans for doing well in Med school like board prep schedules, things needed to be done in med school to be competitive in residency and such.

I was more interested in plans for doing well in Med school like board prep schedules, things needed to be done in med school to be competitive in residency and such.

Learn how to manage your time well so that you can maintain adequate work life balance

Learn how to exercise, eat well, and maintain mental health

Learn what form of studying works best for YOU (generally done early in med school through trial and error)

Have a general idea of what your goals might be so you can explore them early on in med school and then, if you want, get involved in that department

Pass your classes

^^^ that is how you do well in the preclinical years

Duolingo is great for learning a foreign language
I will finish the Spanish skill tree today on DUOLINGO. I also studied for two months with another program. I would call myself an advanced-beginner. :)

Maybe they weren't petty enough to still remember a promise they made on an online forum to some anonymous guy with a Mexican wearing a sombrero as an avatar [which you, for the purpose of this comment, had since the beginning]?

Lucky for you, I just so happen to be petty enough.