Serious about Pre-studying for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get a job. Make some money and then do what you want. Learn what it means to work for a living. STOP ****ING AROUND WITH STUDYING. Youll get enough of this in med school. What are you planning to do after you graduate? Study more?
I work 8-hour shifts as a Nursing Assistant. I leave every day at 11pm with a sore back and a sense of satisfaction. And before that I worked 4 years as a mechanic and 4 years in the army reserves. I think I know what it is to work for a living.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Holy **** I think we might be the same person Dr. Starchild.

I had a super chill last year of college. By the second semester my earliest class was at 3PM. Fast forward to the next August when I started my first real full time job, the first month was TORTURE because I wasn't used to having to wake up early and do work for so many hours each day with no naps.

Prior to that last year, I had my day packed with activities from 5AM-9PM everyday and I never felt tired (More than 4 hours of sleep to me felt excessive). I'm currently trying to buildup my discipline to that point. It's like training a muscle I think.

I agree except for the 4 hours. You may be special but if feel that if im not getting 7.5 hours of sleep, then there is no point in studying the next day since my brain wont be functioning at its full capacity.

Reactions: 1 user
No offense @Dr.Starchild but I think you are full of ****. I could be wrong but that would result in you being a superhuman.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a job. Make some money and then do what you want. Learn what it means to work for a living. STOP ****ING AROUND WITH STUDYING. Youll get enough of this in med school. What are you planning to do after you graduate? Study more?

I've got news for you - you're going to be studying to some extent for the rest of your life as a physician. Whether it's board certification exams or keeping up with the current literature, being a lifelong student is an intrinsic aspect of medicine. If that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps you should reconsider medicine as a career choice.

Getting a job after graduation and pre-studying aren't mutually exclusive, either.

Reactions: 1 users
Dr. Starchild I've got some advice for you. Instead of reading Lippincott's biochem, I would suggest looking into Dr. Najeeb's videos (search Dr. Najeeb and you'll find his website). His videos are a staple among medical students during the pre-clinical years, although they're too lengthy to be effective during dedicated Step 1 prep. I personally watched them during my pre-clinical courses as supplemental material.

If you watched his entire series on biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics, you'd get through 90% of the core content from Lippincott's in a fraction of the time, especially if you watched his videos at 1.5-2X speed (I can manage to understand him just fine at 1.94X speed, but this will vary from person to person).

He'll have "sales" often where you can get lifetime access to his videos for $30 or $40. Highly recommended, and it's far more efficient than reading Lippincott's. If you're still dead set on reading Lippincott's Biochem, then do it after you've established a strong base from watching Najeeb's videos.

Watch for understanding - don't worry about committing everything to long term memory just yet. Those are my two cents if you're dead set on pre-studying.

I personally did not pre-study before medical school and I scored > 260 on step 1. If I could change anything, I would not have pre-studied before medical school. Medical school is emotionally grueling and I enjoyed the time off between graduating college and 1st year.

Reactions: 6 users
I've got news for you - you're going to be studying to some extent for the rest of your life as a physician. Whether it's board certification exams or keeping up with the current literature, being a lifelong student is an intrinsic aspect of medicine. If that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps you should reconsider medicine as a career choice.

Getting a job after graduation and pre-studying aren't mutually exclusive, either.
I agree. My parents spend every Saturday and Sunday studying new books/articles. It's not a chore to them, they do it for for fun because they're interested in their fields.

No offense @Dr.Starchild but I think you are full of ****. I could be wrong but that would result in you being a superhuman.

If I felt the need to prove my self to you, I would. But since I dont, I dont care what you think. Also it dosent take someone superhuman to do what I did/do.

Dr. Starchild I've got some advice for you. Instead of reading Lippincott's biochem, I would suggest looking into Dr. Najeeb's videos (search Dr. Najeeb and you'll find his website). His videos are a staple among medical students during the pre-clinical years, although they're too lengthy to be effective during dedicated Step 1 prep. I personally watched them during my pre-clinical courses as supplemental material.

If you watched his entire series on biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics, you'd get through 90% of the core content from Lippincott's in a fraction of the time, especially if you watched his videos at 1.5-2X speed (I can manage to understand him just fine at 1.94X speed, but this will vary from person to person).

He'll have "sales" often where you can get lifetime access to his videos for $30 or $40. Highly recommended, and it's far more efficient than reading Lippincott's. If you're still dead set on reading Lippincott's Biochem, then do it after you've established a strong base from watching Najeeb's videos.

Watch for understanding - don't worry about committing everything to long term memory just yet. Those are my two cents if you're dead set on pre-studying.

I personally did not pre-study before medical school and I scored > 260 on step 1. If I could change anything, I would not have pre-studied before medical school. Medical school is emotionally grueling and I enjoyed the time off between graduating college and 1st year.

Thank you very much, and congrats on that step 1 score. I have thought about Dr.Najeeb and that does sound like a good idea I'll go check him out. And I see your point, thats why I'm going to make sure to schedule fun events and actvities here and there from now until next august.

Does anyone know the total time of Dr. Najeeb's library? His site says 700+ videos. What's the average video length?

Yo if anyone wants to split a Dr. Najeeb account (I think the lifetime package is like $100) PM me.

OP did you ever decide? What's your plan?

OP did you ever decide? What's your plan?

I really appreciate and read everyone advice. Stubborn as I am, I still want to pre-study. I suppose ill be an official test-dummy for whether pre-studying works (Ill let you know by Dec 15, 2017 if it's worth it). To me however, and I know you wont believe it, just to be able to sit down and learn about the body without the pressure of have to be tested on it, is something I truly enjoy.

I will most likely study for 5 days a week for 3-4 hours a day. But I will also commit time for picking up on some Spanish, reading some books that take an introspective look at the medical profession, and reading a few books that have nothing to do with medicine.

I will also aim to develop effective time management skills that will allow me to balance my obligations in med school.

I will take some time explore what kind of specialties I am interested in (its prolly going to be neurology)

I will however make sure to leave plenty of time to enjoy myself, have a stable job (30-40 hrs/week), and a healthy relationship w/ my girl. I will also be sure to form good health habits, eating good food, developing a daily exercise routine with a good blend of aerobic and strength workouts.

Lastly a 2-weeks before med-school begins, I will stop studying completely and just relax, get my life together, say all of my goodbyes, and empty my mind, my apartment and my life from distractions.

~OP

I really appreciate and read everyone advice. Stubborn as I am, I still want to pre-study. I suppose ill be an official test-dummy for whether pre-studying works (Ill let you know by Dec 15, 2017 if it's worth it). To me however, and I know you wont believe it, just to be able to sit down and learn about the body without the pressure of have to be tested on it, is something I truly enjoy.

I will most likely study for 5 days a week for 3-4 hours a day. But I will also commit time for picking up on some Spanish, reading some books that take an introspective look at the medical profession, and reading a few books that have nothing to do with medicine.

I will also aim to develop effective time management skills that will allow me to balance my obligations in med school.

I will take some time explore what kind of specialties I am interested in (its prolly going to be neurology)

I will however make sure to leave plenty of time to enjoy myself, have a stable job (30-40 hrs/week), and a healthy relationship w/ my girl. I will also be sure to form good health habits, eating good food, developing a daily exercise routine with a good blend of aerobic and strength workouts.

Lastly a 2-weeks before med-school begins, I will stop studying completely and just relax, get my life together, say all of my goodbyes, and empty my mind, my apartment and my life from distractions.

~OP
How are you pre studying? Books, najeeb, med schools slides/lectures?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will most likely study for 5 days a week for 3-4 hours a day. But I will also commit time for picking up on some Spanish, reading some books that take an introspective look at the medical profession, and reading a few books that have nothing to do with medicine. I will also aim to develop effective time management skills that will allow me to balance my obligations in med school. I will take some time explore what kind of specialties I am interested in (its prolly going to be neurology) ~OP
20 hours a week for material is counterproductive. The medical students are trying to tell you this.

Anyone have a dr.najib must see lecture list?

20 hours a week for material is counterproductive. The medical students are trying to tell you this.
Yet med students complain that they can learn all the preclinical material at home with <$1k in resources.

If any of you want to pre-study, may I suggest learning about history, public policy, public health, ethics, law, and other topics you may not have time to look at once medical school begins.

Some of the books I've recommended in the past:

Death Foretold by Nicholas A. Christakis (about making and communicating prognosis)

Knife Man by Wendy Moore (about John Hunter, eighteenth century British surgeon-scientist)

Forgive and Remember Managing Medical Failure by Charles L. Bosk. It is an oldie but very good, a sociologist's field report of a year (or so) following surgical teams. Very readable.

The Lazarus Case Life and Death Issues in Neonatal Intensive Care by John D. Lantos, MD.

Letters to a Young Doctor by Richard Selzer, MD (his other books of essays & short stories are good, too)

Healing the Wounds by David Hilfiker, M.D. He's also written Not all of Us are Saints

The Coast of Chicago
by Stuart Dybek (short stories)

The Death of Vishnu: A Novel by Manil Suri

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (short stories)

Bel Canto: A Novel by Ann Patchett
The Cost of Hope by Amanda Bennett (non-fiction -- the cost of cancer treatment)
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (memoir, growing up in poverty)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot (non-fiction)

Tinkers by Paul Harding (fiction)
The Warmth of Other Suns The Epic Story of the America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson
Dystopian fiction:
Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist

A few others on my shelf:
Food Politics by Marion Nestle
Subjected to Science Human Experimentation in America before the Second World War by Susan E. Lederer
Acres of Skin Human Experiments at Holmesburg Prison by Eric Hornblum
America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby

Reactions: 10 users

Last edited:
@mmm_cats Most medical students spend at least $1k out of pocket for supplementary resources in order to master the material or to understand concepts they are having difficulty understanding. In other words, they are willing to spend $$$ in order to save on time, because every hour becomes a valuable resource. You may find it hypocritical that medical students recommend against pre-studying and yet make a point that they initiated a lot of self-learning on their own. The issue isn't about self-learning, it's about burn out. Active learning is energy consuming, you may think that you did it in undergrad when you took biochem or studied for the MCAT. That was just the minor leagues. The same intensity you put out on test day is the same level that many students put in when they are reviewing their "xxx" somewhat slides on the weekend.

The reason why medical students advise against pre-studying isn't because medical school was a magic sanctum where information was bestowed to them via diffusion. It's because they spent money, resources, and changed their lifestyle in order to study faster, retain more, and apply it effectively. When you're M0 you never think that you'll get tired of medical school. But when you're burning your fast oxidative muscles you will be screaming for oxygen and thinking back to those moments you had during the summer right before medical school. Moments like those give you closure that now you're starting a new life and not simply making a segue into a medical school.

... the only way to understand the stuff is to be answering 3rd order questions.
Wait. I'm going to a medical school in the United States, not the Caribbean. Why do I need to think about 3rd order questions if I live in a first world country? I think that there should only be first order questions for medical students in first world countries and all the third/higher order questions can be solved overseas. I heard that plenty of jobs are sent overseas, so I think that it wouldn't be too foreign for a section of the Q-bank to experience life overseas.

I started prestudying about a week ago and my only regret is that I didn't learn these mneumonics before the MCAT/college.

So many special snowflakes that think they know better than all the actual med students and doctors. You'll all see sooner or later.

Don't pre-study. Period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Does anyone know of any good audio lectures or podcasts for studying med school material? Fixin' to do a lot of driving in the future.

Does anyone know of any good audio lectures or podcasts for studying med school material? Fixin' to do a lot of driving in the future.

Honestly man I don't think you can really study med school subjects while you're driving. I would recommend getting some of the audiobook versions of the books that LizzyM recommended. Because think about do you really want to try following the Krebs cycle while you're trying to drive - dangerous and unproductive.

How are you pre studying? Books, najeeb, med schools slides/lectures?

I'm using books. I looked at Dr.Najeeb and I'll go to his videos if I have a hard time understanding something, but I think that by sitting down, reading through books, writing questions (w/ the pg # of answer) about paragraphs that I've read so I can practice recall later, I can learn more per unit time than watching videos. Also I believe that by sitting down and reading I'll also be building mental stamina, focus, and a better study ethic.

As for exact book titles and reading order:
Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology
Harpers Illustrated Biochemistry 30th Edition
Cell and Molecular Biology (Lippincott Illustrated Reviews Series)
BRS Cell Biology and Histology
BRS Biochemistry
Human Physiology Silverthorn
Medical Physiology Guyton Hall
Netter physio Flash Cards
Medical Terminology (Chabner)
Microbiology (Lippincott Illustrated Reviews Series)

If I have time:
Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease, 7e

Of course that's just for the sciences,
I'll also read or listen to the audiobooks:

The Lazarus Case Life and Death Issues in Neonatal Intensive Care by John D. Lantos, MD.

Letters to a Young Doctor by Richard Selzer, MD (his other books of essays & shortstories are good, too)

Healing the Wounds by David Hilfiker, M.D. He's also written Not all of Us are Saints

William Osler: A Life in Medicine

and The house of god by by Samuel Shem

For all the medical students and others who are telling me its a bad idea, and not to do it. Thank you. I really appreciate your concern. I really believe that your just saying this stuff because you don't want to see another med student burnout and then drop out. However, for the moment, this is really something I believe I can do. And if sometime in the next 9 months before matriculation I find that I've made a mistake ill come back to this post and put it in all caps. And if at the end of my first semester I find that it was beneficial/useless ill report that also.

Reactions: 5 users

Last edited:
One will learn what is really important as I throw aside my fresh copy of the NEJM and hit Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 with gusto

One will learn what is really important as I throw aside my fresh copy of the NEJM and hit Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 with gusto
Kerbal space program and civ 6 for me!

I used to think the same way as you, but now I feel it's better to learn a language or do some research rather than pre-study. Yeah relearning things tend to make them stick more but that's mostly with concepts, not random diseases and minutae like you'll be reading in anatomy and biochemistry books.

OP posts thread asking if he should prestudy.

OP is told unanimously not to prestudy.

OP chooses to prestudy.

Well tbh I didn't really ask if I should specifically, I mainly asked how I should.

BTW does it ever occur to any one that there might be some weirdo out therewho actually enjoys reading about science and physiology?

Well tbh I didn't really ask if I should specifically, I mainly asked how I should.

BTW does it ever occur to any one that there might be some weirdo out therewho actually enjoys reading about science and physiology?
Genuinely enjoying studying medicine should be a pre-req for entering med school.

Based on what I've seen in the outside-of-work studying habits of my parents, relatives, and every MD I've ever worked closely with for research/shadowing, if you don't actually enjoy studying this stuff you're gonna have a bad time.

So, I hear everyone jumping on the "don't pre study" train. But if I want to just casually read a book that is preparatory for step exams/ classes just for some general basic knowledge rather than trying to remember any specific facts, what would people recommend? Like, I'm not trying to actually sit down and "study" but during down time if I'm bored and want to read a book to be productive. Would the First aid for USMLE book be a good idea? I just want to do this to get the gears turning a bit since I haven't studied for anything in while and have a job that makes me feel brain-dead at times. I won't be on any schedule or anything like that, just something I may want to pick up here and there. Thoughts?

So, I hear everyone jumping on the "don't pre study" train. But if I want to just casually read a book that is preparatory for step exams/ classes just for some general basic knowledge rather than trying to remember any specific facts, what would people recommend? Like, I'm not trying to actually sit down and "study" but during down time if I'm bored and want to read a book to be productive. Would the First aid for USMLE book be a good idea? I just want to do this to get the gears turning a bit since I haven't studied for anything in while and have a job that makes me feel brain-dead at times. I won't be on any schedule or anything like that, just something I may want to pick up here and there. Thoughts?

Why read First Aid if you're goal isn't to learn facts? That's the whole point of FA.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I know you guys probably think OP is crazy and a bit neurotic but I think what he is doing will teach him time management.
Correct me if I am wrong; But isn't a lot of med school self study?
If he can dedicate himself and schedule his life it might help him.

If the purpose of prestudying is to do better during preclinical years to do better on step 1 so you can eventually match better...

Why not just get involved in research if you have a lot of free time on your hands? It'll surely help your residency applications too. I'm sure your school can put you into contact with a PI.

If you're serious and still reading this thread, learn how to use anki, install image occlusion add on, and make anki cards out of the whole netter's book. I've been doing that and it has made anatomy as an M1 so much easier, since I've never taken it before. Also, i have about half a year's cards worth in about 3500 cards, and I only see about 50 a day now from that review deck, which takes <10 minutes to go through.

Though I do love anatomy and find it fun, so your mileage may vary. And I want to memorize netters.

First Aid is for integration and review of materials you have already learned in your classes. If you want to do anything, take a look at the list of books LizzyM posted in this thread. There's plenty of topics that are extremely relevant to medicine (ie health care policy, etc) that only receives minimal coverage, if any, by medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're serious and still reading this thread, learn how to use anki, install image occlusion add on, and make anki cards out of the whole netter's book. I've been doing that and it has made anatomy as an M1 so much easier, since I've never taken it before. Also, i have about half a year's cards worth in about 3500 cards, and I only see about 50 a day now from that review deck, which takes <10 minutes to go through.

Though I do love anatomy and find it fun, so your mileage may vary. And I want to memorize netters.
Share the Netters deck!

Reactions: 5 users
Duolingo is great for learning a foreign language

+1

I'd recommend throwing in memrise as well. Once you feel like you have a basic understanding, start to try to read some basic short stories, listen to radio shows/podcasts etc. Its what I've been doing the past 2 months or so and I feel like I'm making more progress learning Spanish than any language I attempted to learn in school.

How is this better than simply using the Netters flash cards though?

Dr. Najeeb's lectures are on sale for $79. Says they're normally $199. Worth buying now or do these deals happen fairly often?

Ya'll are nuts. All I want to do right now is sleep and I've done basically nothing since winter break started, my poor brain. (Burn out is the real deal.)

I quit my job two months before school started and sat on my ass for basically the entire summer. I didn't prestudy at all but I honestly don't think it would have helped much. I get if you're interested and just want to read but there's a huge difference between reading for pleasure and studying. I took an intro to biochem course in the spring (had no biochem, a school I interviewed at required it), but other than having the amino acids memorized, it did nothing to help me with biochem this entire fall. It's the amount of information you need to know for a given exam which is what is so difficult, not minute details. You're not really tested on the small details, so don't go too far into the weeds. It'll kill you in med school and it sounds as though this is exactly what you're trying to do.

But btw, Lippincott's Biochem :love:
The author is an absolute gem.

Many physicians know almost nothing about business, personal finance and the business of medicine. Learn that and you will have a better future regardless of specialty. All the science and textbook information is best learned in context. I wish I had researched where I live before I moved here. Knowing the best place to live, eat, and play is important with my limited free time.

Dr. Najeeb's lectures are on sale for $79. Says they're normally $199. Worth buying now or do these deals happen fairly often?
Deals happen often but I would say that's probably a good one. It's lifetime access so if you know you will want to get it eventually why not just buy it now while it's a good deal? That's what I did.

Deals happen often but I would say that's probably a good one. It's lifetime access so if you know you will want to get it eventually why not just buy it now while it's a good deal? That's what I did.

This may be a very basic question, but do you need both these and pathoma or do they overlap?

This may be a very basic question, but do you need both these and pathoma or do they overlap?

I'm not familiar with Dr. Najeeb, but I would pretty much consider Pathoma a requirement for Step 1 studying. Key word being "Step 1". Don't start Pathoma until you actually have some background to understand it (after MS1 and as an adjunct MS2 studying assuming your school has a traditional schedule of covering the majority of pathology second year)