Serious guidance needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P0W3RL1FT3R

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im starting to panic regarding my schedule for my junior year and when I'll be taking the DAT.

Completed classes at cc (grade):
Anatomy& Physiology I (A)
Anatomy & Physiology II (A)
Biology I (A)
Biology II (A)
Chem I (A)
Chem II (A)
English I (A)
Calc-Physics I (A)
Precalc I (A)
Precalc II (A)
Calc I (A)

I'm transferring to a university in the fall but I don't think I'll be able to get into the organics class, meaning I won't be able to take organic chem 2 my junior year. This leaves me clueless as to when to take the DAT..

I just need some insight, I honestly don't know what I should do. Take the DAT senior year? What classes to register for in the fall?

Orientation is tomorrow, I might try begging and bribing my way into the organics class :cryi:

Members don't see this ad.

My uni is on the quarter system so we have 3 quarters of OChem. I took the DAT without the third one. So I had no knowledge of carbohydrate and nucleic acid chemistry. It did not affect me on the DAT. If your school uses the semester system then just the first OChem might be ok for the DAT. Nice scores and good luck! Also talk to predents at the Uni that have taken the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks alumdent!
I've been watching Chads videos to retain general chemistry information on my spare time, I may attempt watching the organic chemistry series as well before the summer ends.
Then, gauge how difficult I find ochem1 in the spring at my university. If I feel comfortable, maybe I'll do as you said and study as I would- & take the DAT next summer after studying a few months & teaching myself ochem2.
It's just scary when everything doesn't go as planned, especially for something as important as the DAT, I'd hate to mess it up.

Any other advice to cool my nerves is welcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure the dental schools you're interested in accept that many cc credits...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I second Rekker's thought; many dental schools I look at will only take a certain number of CC credits from a comunity college. Where are you finding Chad's videos pow3rl1ft3r?

I most likely won't be applying to Boston, Temple, Tufts & other schools that don't accept many cc credits. I'm a Nj resident, so UMDNJ would be my top pick- from what I've heard, they have a 60 cc credit limit.
I hope doing well in the upper level biology courses, physics and ochem will show I can handle myself when it comes to university level classes.

I've been watching Chads videos from coursesaver under the "College Chemistries and Physics" video section.

As long as you take organic 1 before you start your DAT prep with Chad's, you are fine with the orgo part. You can learn the what you are missing from his video. I TAed orgo during my undergraduate and orgo was my highest score in the DAT

I'd just be concerned with your grades dropping off one you go to a 4-year university. Make sure that doesn't happen!

I'd just be concerned with your grades dropping off one you go to a 4-year university. Make sure that doesn't happen!

I'll definitely try to do my best!

Quick question.. When registering for upper level biology courses, are labs recommended?

If I'm unable to take ochem in the fall, I'd be interested in taking molecular biology and genetics at the same time with 2 electives. I just wasn't sure if dental schools frowned upon a lack of a lab, but it may help to get a better grade with only having to study for lecture.

Just wondering what the norm was around here!

I'll definitely try to do my best!

Quick question.. When registering for upper level biology courses, are labs recommended?

If I'm unable to take ochem in the fall, I'd be interested in taking molecular biology and genetics at the same time with 2 electives. I just wasn't sure if dental schools frowned upon a lack of a lab, but it may help to get a better grade with only having to study for lecture.

Just wondering what the norm was around here!

Yeah- they're recommended. I know some schools don't require labs for certain classes, though. Biochemistry comes to mind. My undergrad doesn't offer courses without labs as an option, so I never really bothered looking at requirements. Lab is a pain, but I think that it's pretty valuable in the long run. Unless you're dead-set on not taking them, I'd recommend always taking a lab! It can't hurt. I know that Anatomy lab was invaluable for me and really reinforced stuff that I learned. Although I could've gone without Orgo lab and been fine. In hindsight, I wish I could've had the opportunity to skip some lol

Reactions: 1 users
Bump for last second advice before orientation! :D

I used Chad's videos and textbooks "Organic chemistry as a secondary language" to study Org Chem section before taking any Org Chem class. And I got 25 in Org Chem. As long as you work hard, you've had all the resources necessary to ACE DAT already. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Chad's videos = amazing; Bootcamp = also amazing

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be surprised if they had O-chem 1 in the spring but maybe at a huge school they would. O-chem is probably a class they have many, many sections of and likely would have the most options in the fall. If you have issues registering for O-chem 1, talk to your adviser and let that person know you need 1 and 2 this year so you can take the DAT. It really depends on what kind of student you are if you can learn what you need just from Chad's. Chad is totally amazing, without a doubt, but if you need to learn more by doing, videos alone are not going to be enough, for example.

I also agree, you took a LOT of pre-reqs at a community college and some schools frown upon that. Just make sure you take enough upper level science classes with labs to back up those community college grades.

Thanks guys,

How many upper level classes would you say is sufficient? This will be my junior year and i'm anticipating on taking genetics & molecular biology with 2 electives in the fall... Then spring I would enroll in ochem1, statistics & cell bio with 1 elective.

Would that be enough?
Thanks again guys, you're all a huge help!

Thanks guys,

How many upper level classes would you say is sufficient? This will be my junior year and i'm anticipating on taking genetics & molecular biology with 2 electives in the fall... Then spring I would enroll in ochem1, statistics & cell bio with 1 elective.

Would that be enough?
Thanks again guys, you're all a huge help!

Why that schedule for this year? I'd take Ochem 1 before taking genetics or molecular bio just because of the DAT. You can take genetics or molecular bio senior year if you have to but get into Ochem 1 and 2 this year.

Many dental schools have requirements for certain classes so find that info on Doc Toothache's threads so you know which ones to take. Many schools want anatomy, physiology, biochem, and microbio so take all of those at least.

Why that schedule for this year? I'd take Ochem 1 before taking genetics or molecular bio just because of the DAT. You can take genetics or molecular bio senior year if you have to but get into Ochem 1 and 2 this year.

Many dental schools have requirements for certain classes so find that info on Doc Toothache's threads so you know which ones to take. Many schools want anatomy, physiology, biochem, and microbio so take all of those at least.

Ochem1 is filled & the wait list doesn't look too promising :(

As for why genetics, molecular & cell bio- I've heard those are the three biology classes that help the most with the actual DAT, which I would like to take my August 2016

I was going to take any left over prerequisites my senior year.

Ochem1 is filled and the wait list doesn't look too promising :(

As for why genetics, molecular and cell bio- I've heard those are the three biology classes that help the most with the actual DAT, which I would like to take my August 2016

I was going to take any left over prerequisites my senior year.

Why???

I'm going to give it to you straight, you already have one strike against you by taking so many pre-reqs at the community college. You have pretty much eliminated yourself from consideration from 1/2 of the schools or more at which you are eligible to apply by doing that. Waiting until August to TAKE the DAT next year, is going to put you pretty late in the application cycle once your scores are verified and applications sent. Keep in mind, schools are already sending out invites for interviews in July. Plus, who knows how you will do at your 4 year school so your GPA is hanging out there right now. You need to get on the waitlist for O-Chem, and being a junior needing to take the DAT should give you priority, talk to your adviser. genetics, molecular and cell are great, but there is more O-Chem on the DAT than those courses.

Why???

I'm going to give it to you straight, you already have one strike against you by taking so many pre-reqs at the community college. You have pretty much eliminated yourself from consideration from 1/2 of the schools or more at which you are eligible to apply by doing that. Waiting until August to TAKE the DAT next year, is going to put you pretty late in the application cycle once your scores are verified and applications sent. Keep in mind, schools are already sending out invites for interviews in July. Plus, who knows how you will do at your 4 year school so your GPA is hanging out there right now. You need to get on the waitlist for O-Chem, and being a junior needing to take the DAT should give you priority, talk to your adviser. genetics, molecular and cell are great, but there is more O-Chem on the DAT than those courses.

I appreciate you giving it to me straight, no doubt ochem is much more important than any other class & I'm going to try my hardest to get in.

The schedule I posted is more of a back up. Worst comes to worst, I'll have to teach myself ochem2 for the DAT. I'm listing all of the upper level biology courses in order to show dental schools I can handle the workload at a university level. As for my GPA, I have faith in my work ethics that I'll do well.

I am a bit nervous of how my scheduling will make out & I'm sitting in orientation now pretty worried.

If I can get into ochem 1 in the fall, what upper level biology class would you recommend I take with it?
If I don't, what classes should I register for?

Again, thanks. Much appreciation :highfive:

I'd just add O-Chem as one of your "electives" spots in the fall or maybe drop molecular and take that senior year. Keep genetics and if you can handle the schedule, take the 3 science classes.

Got into ochem! :biglove:

Took 2 electives necessary to graduate at my school & a mandatory seminar as well as ochem & genetics.

Fall schedule:
Ochem1 w/ lab
Genetics w/ lab
Biology seminar
Microbes & Man
Psychology of Well Being

Was debating on taking biochemistry instead of an elective, but I want to get a feel for the classes to prevent going overboard. Maybe I should drop the two electives and just take bio chem? Not sure, just happy to get ochem!

Your schedule looks good. Some schools require psych now so keep that. I wouldn't add biochem with what you have mainly because you want to rock your GPA this semester and next to validate your CC GPA.

I second ajj70. I have friends who were transfer students who did amazing after transferring and those that did terrible. You need to put yourself in a good position to do good. A 4.0 CC and 3.8-4.0 University grade will be solid. Not saying you cannot do it, but BioChem + OChem + Genetics is rough for even the smartest predents. Good luck!!

Thanks for all of the advice guys, seriously, you're life savers!

I plan on completing Chads Gen Chem videos within the next few weeks then move onto Ochem videos until I cover what will be necessary to know for Ochem1. I'll be taking thorough notes as well.

Simultaneously, I'll be watching a few of Chads Biology videos without notes just to expose myself & possibly skim through Ferralis' notes. I've heard the Genetics teacher isn't the friendliest at my school, so I'll just have to make a fast start.

Any resources to prepare for genetics are welcome as well!

Again, thanks everyone!