[serious] Re-applying after getting kicked out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billdied

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance of getting accepted to any dental school after getting kicked out due to poor grades?

This person started dental school right after 4 years of undergrad (biology) with average GPA/DAT. (while already having experience from working/shadowing at dental offices/labs.)

Their hand skills were excellent and they aced every lab classes. They failed one major non-lab class (even after remediation) and were dismissed from the school.

Curious to what admissions officers think about students like this re-applying to dental schools (not the same school they failed from).
  • What is the minimum/maximum years one can/should wait after failing out of dental school to re-apply to other school again? (how about re-applying to med-schools/pharm schools?)
  • Also, what should they be doing during this time off from school?
  • Would dental schools accept the old undergrad grades and GPA? What about the old recommendation letters from undergrad teachers?

Members don't see this ad.

Were your other science grades poor as well, even if they were not failing?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an extremely tricky question. In law school, if you are expelled after the first year you must wait 3 years to reapply. The Bar Association keeps tabs on these things. If you lie and matriculate to a new school, if it ever comes up, even way in the future, you could lose everything. I am not sure this applies in Dental school. My freshman roomate in D school way back when was expelled from his first school, then came to my school the very next year and did fine. Only I knew. Didn't seem to matter.
You could reapply with your old stats and see what happens. You will of course know a lot more about dental anatomy and materials than everyone else, but by 2nd year the field will level. Not sure what you might say you did this last year at an interview, but that will be on you. The truth will be ugly.

Reactions: 1 user
This is an extremely tricky question. In law school, if you are expelled after the first year you must wait 3 years to reapply. The Bar Association keeps tabs on these things. If you lie and matriculate to a new school, if it ever comes up, even way in the future, you could lose everything. I am not sure this applies in Dental school. My freshman roomate in D school way back when was expelled from his first school, then came to my school the very next year and did fine. Only I knew. Didn't seem to matter.
You could reapply with your old stats and see what happens. You will of course know a lot more about dental anatomy and materials than everyone else, but by 2nd year the field will level. Not sure what you might say you did this last year at an interview, but that will be on you. The truth will be ugly.
Risky approach -- the AADSAS application asks if you've ever matriculated at any other health professional schools, including other dental schools. Lying on that might put OP in a similar situation to your law school example.

Reactions: 1 users
Risky approach -- the AADSAS application asks if you've ever matriculated at any other health professional schools, including other dental schools. Lying on that might put OP in a similar situation to your law school example.

True. This isn't even worth risking. Even if one lies on AADSAS about not ever attending a dental school, they would have to "make up" something for the failed year(s) in dental school.

No one is going to be able to give you definitive answers. If I were on an adcom, here's how I'd see it. You are a known quantity that has been tried and has failed. I'd much rather take my chances on someone who's an unknown variable. You have a huge hill to climb convincing another school to give you a second chance when there are so many other qualified candidates. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Big Hoss

Edit: I've thought more about your situation. Your chances at dental school and medical school are probably all but shot. If I were you and I were dead set on working in healthcare, here's what I would do. Since I'd already have a bachelors degree, I'd apply to an accelerated nursing program. Failing out of dental school probably isn't too big of a roadblock there. I would do all I could to standout and excel. I'd then shoot for advanced training as a nurse anesthetist or nurse practitioner. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Is there any chance of getting accepted to any dental school after getting kicked out due to poor grades?

This person started dental school right after 4 years of undergrad (biology) with average GPA/DAT. (while already having experience from working/shadowing at dental offices/labs.)

Their hand skills were excellent and they aced every lab classes. They failed one major non-lab class (even after remediation) and were dismissed from the school.

Curious to what admissions officers think about students like this re-applying to dental schools (not the same school they failed from).
  • What is the minimum/maximum years one can/should wait after failing out of dental school to re-apply to other school again? (how about re-applying to med-schools/pharm schools?)
  • Also, what should they be doing during this time off from school?
  • Would dental schools accept the old undergrad grades and GPA? What about the old recommendation letters from undergrad teachers?
I'm only a pre-dental student but I watched a youtube video a couple months ago; it was about this med school student who got expelled due to her poor grades. The thing is, she got expelled twice. The first time she got expelled, she basically talked to a lot of people including the deans and faculty members and they reinstated her. But she did fail her classes again so she got expelled again. But you can try to do the things she did?