PhD/PsyD Seriously Considering a Career in Clinical Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fayjay101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Chemistry major in my junior year of college and for the past 3 years have been considering a career in Pharmacy. I have discovered I love Psychology and am interested a career as a Clinical Psychologist, and want to pursue a PhD in a Joint Clinical-Health Psychology program. I am worried all of the coursework (upper level Chemistry and Biology courses) will be useless or not relevant coursework when applying to graduate school. I have also done two summers of biomedical lab research on breast cancer at Vanderbilt University, and I'm hoping it hasn't been a waste but that it will count for something (especially since I want to pursue Health Psychology). I'm trying to make a decision as to whether I should also pick up a Psychology major or just minor in Psychology, ( I can't just switch my major because my parents are helping me pay for college, and think Psychology is a terrible major).
I have a 3.65 GPA, and could raise it if I declared another major, because the Psychology major at my school is not difficult. Nevertheless, I'm going to take as many psychology courses as I can before I graduate. I was also considering doing a Post Baccalaureate Program after graduating, to gain research experience in the behavioral sciences.
Does anyone have any advice regarding whether just minoring in Psychology would be enough, advice on applying to graduate school, or my chances of getting into a PhD or Masters program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sending you a private message to answer your questions later today, but I wanted to let you know that your coursework and experience is very relevant and attractive for joint Clinical-Health Psychology programs! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sending you a private message to answer your questions later today, but I wanted to let you know that your coursework and experience is very relevant and attractive for joint Clinical-Health Psychology programs! :)
not only is your coursework very relevant, what I think is most important is that the programs you're looking to get into can see that you have experience doing research (even if its not the same type) and that you can handle rigorous work. That says a lot more than an A in Abnormal Psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't just switch my major because my parents are helping me pay for college, and think Psychology is a terrible major.
I might get slammed for this on this board.... but I too think psychology is a terrible major.. and I was a psychology major. There's nothing wrong with the content of the major, but the expectations of a psychology major at many universities (even rigorous universities) sadly leave a lot to be desired.

Reactions: 1 users
I might get slammed for this on this board.... but I too think psychology is a terrible major.. and I was a psychology major. There's nothing wrong with the content of the major, but the expectations of a psychology major at many universities (even rigorous universities) sadly leave a lot to be desired.
I'd tend to agree. A lot of the courses are "fluff".

I don't think you'll get slammed. Most of it is. However, for some universities that have a B.Sc and a B.A, there can be a huge difference. Where I did undergrad, I think the B.A only had low level bio classes as the only real hard science, and you only needed up to Trig in math. For the B.Sc, you needed two chem classes, 2 bio, up to Calc, anatomy and physio, and a few others. When I used to review those apps for grad school, we'd look at the individual classes and grades more so than the major.

I have said much the same thing and was very disappointed with my undergrad psychology program. Some of that is an unfortunate side effect of it being such a popular degree. Most of the other students were less academically motivated than myself and that is putting it nicely. Another less nuanced way to put it was that there were a lot of ******* jocks in my classes who still acted like they were in high school. That statement also fits in quite nicely with the derailed discussion in another thread. :cool:

For the B.Sc, you needed two chem classes, 2 bio, up to Calc, anatomy and physio, and a few others. When I used to review those apps for grad school, we'd look at the individual classes and grades more so than the major.
dude that's awesome.
FWIW I wasnt overly disappointed with my undergrad's expectations, as much as I was when I was in grad school and had communication with the undergrads there. Granted, my perspective had changed-- but what was expected/asked of them in no way prepared them or allowed them to show preparedness for the next level.
add to that: my second graduate university had about 5 psychology majors- that were all equally worthless. Oh, you're a "school psychology" undergrad- why are your courses exactly the same as a the "clinical psychology" undergrad major??? Blegh.

Yeah, the undergrad portion, at least the classes are really just a weeder. As in, if you can't show decent grades when they are extremely easy to get, the rigors of graduate work at a decent program probably isn't for you. After that, it's mostly peripherals.

Core coursework would be necessary (e.g., stats, intro, abnormal, social, cog, etc) for grad school. However, the unemployment numbers for undergrad psych majors are shocking. Do not major in psych if you are not 100% going to get into and go to grad school.

My undergrad degree ended up being in neuroscience. Because I went to college as a 2nd semester sophomore, I also declared premed and education. And minor in something so stupid it was ridiculous. Some of the things I learned in this stuff were extremely helpful either in understanding the underlying biology/chemistry or in being able to communicate effectively with teachers and physicians. Especially when I trained in a med school. Some of it has always distanced me from other psychologists who viewed me as strange due to my alternative knowledge base.

I'll give you a reply, here goes...

There was a time when folks who were very well accomplished in the natural sciences and math actually did not shy away from becoming professional psychologists. Hopefully it will be that way again.

I will quit now while I am at least not behind.

I am a Chemistry major in my junior year of college and for the past 3 years have been considering a career in Pharmacy. I have discovered I love Psychology and am interested a career as a Clinical Psychologist, and want to pursue a PhD in a Joint Clinical-Health Psychology program. I am worried all of the coursework (upper level Chemistry and Biology courses) will be useless or not relevant coursework when applying to graduate school. I have also done two summers of biomedical lab research on breast cancer at Vanderbilt University, and I'm hoping it hasn't been a waste but that it will count for something (especially since I want to pursue Health Psychology). I'm trying to make a decision as to whether I should also pick up a Psychology major or just minor in Psychology, ( I can't just switch my major because my parents are helping me pay for college, and think Psychology is a terrible major).
I have a 3.65 GPA, and could raise it if I declared another major, because the Psychology major at my school is not difficult. Nevertheless, I'm going to take as many psychology courses as I can before I graduate. I was also considering doing a Post Baccalaureate Program after graduating, to gain research experience in the behavioral sciences.
Does anyone have any advice regarding whether just minoring in Psychology would be enough, advice on applying to graduate school, or my chances of getting into a PhD or Masters program?

I realize that I am biased to the extreme, but please read a paper or two by Paul Meehl and revisit the notion of whether or not psychology is a cool domain of science that can be explored.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll give you a reply, here goes...

There was a time when folks who were very well accomplished in the natural sciences and math actually did not shy away from becoming professional psychologists. Hopefully it will be that way again.

I will quit now while I am at least not behind.

:laugh: I am more pessimistic. We're moving towards a model where all someone needs to do is send boxtops and an application where the only requirement is that they spell their name right and pass a credit check to secure six-figure loans. I share your wish for a tightening of standards, but doubt I'll ever see it in my lifetime.

:laugh: I am more pessimistic. We're moving towards a model where all someone needs to do is send boxtops and an application where the only requirement is that they spell their name right and pass a credit check to secure six-figure loans. I share your wish for a tightening of standards, but doubt I'll ever see it in my lifetime.

Reality is a self-correcting thing...regression to the mean is your friend.

Al least you are operating in an honorable neuropsychological domain...I am in the field of trying to forearm-shiver Carl Rogers and provide some Aaron Beck and David Barlow under time constraints to help some veterans within a self-administered symptom reduction metric whilst their families are disappearing upon their return stateside :(

Maybe so, but I see creep and pseudoscience operating within neuro as well. I've seen neuropsych reports that mention CTE as a possible differential diagnosis after a single, uncomplicated mTBI. In the presence of failed SVT's. From a board certified person. Seriously.

Maybe so, but I see creep and pseudoscience operating within neuro as well. I've seen neuropsych reports that mention CTE as a possible differential diagnosis after a single, uncomplicated mTBI. In the presence of failed SVT's. From a board certified person. Seriously.

This represents the opportunity...perhaps. We have interns coming along to learn a thing or two. We have the opportunity to promote and encourage their instinct to question the wisdom of current practices. We light the fireworks and laugh.

We must (and will) protect them of course.

Please tell me you're just trolling.

Also a former psychology major in full agreement that it is pretty much a terrible degree. A high GPA barely provides assurance the person is literate, let alone qualified to attend graduate school...