seriously need advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

won'tstop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I have already asked a few people on SDN before but I just need more advice on what to do during my gap year. ..
I'm currently applying this cycle and have already submitted secondaries for a few school.
So. MCAT: 08/13: V7, P13, B12--33
01/14: V8, P14, B13--35
GPA: Top 20 college; upward trend, sGPA 3.61, cGPA 3.62.
Slightly above average EC, research+ shadowing+ volunteering+ artistic endeavor.
I am aiming at mid and low-tier and 2-3 top tier for reach .

1. Would a verbal 8 get me screened out of most of the schools? (ESL student.)
2. Do I need to do a 1-year graduate program to enhance my academic credentials? I'm concerning about my GPA. I also got a B- in immunology. I did pretty well in other high level courses tho. Or should I just continue doing another year of basic science research?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine and likely accepted to at least one school, so long as you apply broadly. I'd apply to as many low-mid tier as possible. Even though you have a chance of getting into a top school, what's the point? You're only risking your chance of not getting in by taking time away from applying to 2 low-mid tiers.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think 8 will get screened out, and being ESL may help. Your overall MCAT score is great, and I think you have a good shot at mid-tiers if your ECs are as good as you say.

I think your GPA is fine, especially coming from a T20 school; if you want to aim for top tiers then you may want to increase it.

Members don't see this ad :)
what were you're performance in you're other high level courses and what were they? In particular how was biochem?

what were you're performance in you're other high level courses and what were they? In particular how was biochem?
Thanks guys for the advice. Yes I am applying broadly. I also include 8-9 DO schools. Just really wanna do something this year to secure my application.

Biochem was painful but i did well:happy: got an A.

Check MSAR. Most of good medical schools do not have any histories of accepting student with verbal score of 8