**** Seriously?? These OChem Topics Are Removed??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I came across a post on reddit... was wondering if you guys can confirm.. I'm just having hard time believing it... so are we no longer required to know these topics:

• E1, E2
  • Markovnikov and Anti-Markovnikov additions
  • Dihaloalkane Formation
  • Epoxidation
  • cis-Diol formation
  • Hydrogenation
  • Ozonolysis
  • Electrophilic Aromatic Substitutions
  • Diels-Alder Reaction
  • Wittig Reaction
  • Ester Hydrolysis

I would really appreciate if you guys can chime in and confirm... can't believe things like E1 and E2 are removed (like do we need to know that for E2, the substituents being removed must be anti to each other?)

Thank you guys, this saves me so much time !

Members don't see this ad.

Well, as you stated in the bullet points, no. However, think about in the context of TCA, ETC, DNA --> mRNA ---> tRNA, gluconeogenesis, glycolysis ... b-oxidation, glyceration... then yes, they are on the exam

Reactions: 1 user
I personally wouldn't trust unverified sources like Reddit. I know AMCAS published a list of topics that are tested, I would trust only that.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. @Ad2b that was a very good point man, thank you for pointing that out.

But I remember for my last MCAT I memorized all those above plus things like:

Pinacol re-arrangement
Grignard Reagent
Wolf-Kishner Reduction
Haloform Reaction
Holfmann Rearrangement

I guess it's no longer necessary!?

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is that BRTech has said for a while is that topics that the AAMC in previous years for the old MCAT that they said they were "taking off" or that didn't show up on the "official list of topics" still ended up being tested in some way in some tests. So be careful about just ditching those topics.

Reactions: 2 users
Think of this one? Where does it fit? :) It's an AA synthesis and a common reaction. (Strecker reaction)

600px-Strecker's_amino_acid_synthesis_mechanism_part_2.svg.png

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I memorized any of these reactions... you'll be fine if you know how to predict reaction mechanisms/basic chemistry

Reactions: 1 users