Seriously? What the...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pain boards were hard. Just finished. No joke. Worried. Hope they set that curve low. Way low.

Members don't see this ad.

Pain boards were hard. Just finished. No joke. Worried. Hope they set that curve low. Way low.

"So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?"
i.e. you did fine.

on the other hand...
"If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play."

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry man, they passed me several times

"So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?"
i.e. you did fine.

on the other hand...
"If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play."

Hilarious! Because at one point I closed my eyes and told myself to just follow "The Force". Not joking. Watched Star Wars way too many times as a kid, obviously. On some of those questions, it was seriously the best option.

It was horrible!!!!!! Not sure how and what I did.

Tough exam. A lot of PMR/psych stuff. Not much on interventions.

I love how are tests are soo difficult, yet some random RN/CRNA can just do Pain w/o anything.

I don't know ANYONE that has not passed... Then again I don't KNOW the likes of you on this board, but if you are on it, likely you ain't a complete dummy, so ie you passed

Last edited:
i know a couple of people who failed it. they are both working in pain now, having passed on second try.

the pass rate is fairly high, and it is nerve racking... tho i was more concerned about the oral anesthesia boards than the pain boards.

I thought the questions were ridiculously obscure. I would say at least 50% had zero relevance, even remote relevance, to patient care. Pointless exam. Plus, if you went to a very interventional fellowship, you might as well have gone 12 rounds with Tyson. Hope I passed. Don't want to do that one again anytime soon.

i know a couple of people who failed it. they are both working in pain now, having passed on second try.

the pass rate is fairly high, and it is nerve racking... tho i was more concerned about the oral anesthesia boards than the pain boards.

I was convinced I failed the oral boards. My study partner did fail, so you never know. That test is useless...

I was convinced I failed the oral boards. My study partner did fail, so you never know. That test is useless...

Someone from my program failed orals years ago (ultimately passed). Got a carotid with expanding hematoma and just froze. In clinical practice there is not one of us who wanted take appropriate actions for something like that. That is why I think that the oral is worthless and nothing but a rite of passage.

Someone from my program failed orals years ago (ultimately passed). Got a carotid with expanding hematoma and just froze. In clinical practice there is not one of us who wanted take appropriate actions for something like that. That is why I think that the oral is worthless and nothing but a rite of passage.

i feel bad for the older docs that have to 'recertify'. They take the same exam. I'm not sure if they get graded on a different scale.

I feel like when it comes for recertifying, the exams should be more clinical and somewhat easier. I remember reading somewhere that specialities like radiology, ortho,etc have pass rates in the 90s-100s because they want to retain their docs. I feel like in anesthesiology they keep 'raising' the bar each step along the way. I think if you have passed these exams once, you've 'proved' yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)

i did freeze briefly during my cardiac case. but then, i got soo very lucky, because the case was what would be classified as a typical emergency medicine case.

i felt as good about that scenario as i did about the heart case, after hearing the experiences of the other examinees...

I thought the questions were ridiculously obscure. I would say at least 50% had zero relevance, even remote relevance, to patient care. Pointless exam. Plus, if you went to a very interventional fellowship, you might as well have gone 12 rounds with Tyson. Hope I passed. Don't want to do that one again anytime soon.

Agree, test was hard, tedious and pointless. If I have to take it again I wouldn't even know what to study. I tried to look up some of the questions I remembered and couldn't find answer even with an internet search. I would probably pick up a phd psychology text or something and look over study designs.

What is more annoying is even the more "straightforward" questions seemed to have more than one acceptable answer but was always the MOST appropriate NEXT step would be........this is basically like trying to guess what some guy who wrote the question does in his practice cause it isn't coming from a text or guidelines.

Agree, test was hard, tedious and pointless. If I have to take it again I wouldn't even know what to study. I tried to look up some of the questions I remembered and couldn't find answer even with an internet search. I would probably pick up a phd psychology text or something and look over study designs.

What is more annoying is even the more "straightforward" questions seemed to have more than one acceptable answer but was always the MOST appropriate NEXT step would be........this is basically like trying to guess what some guy who wrote the question does in his practice cause it isn't coming from a text or guidelines.

Agree. Would have no clue what to study a second time around.

So, what everyone wants to know:

When will the results be out?

"What is more annoying is even the more "straightforward" questions seemed to have more than one acceptable answer but was always the MOST appropriate NEXT step would be........this is basically like trying to guess what some guy who wrote the question does in his practice cause it isn't coming from a text or guidelines."

I second this; this was the biggest problem; there would be 2 acceptable courses of action, so I think those "straightforward" questions were not optimally worded; they should have tested out these questions

it may be that the question was an actual experimental question - trying to see if enough people get it right so that they can use it in the future. these "what am i thinking" questions are inherently more difficult, and ofttimes unfair.

After reading the thread, I feel reassured. I walked out of there in serious doubt if I passed, still do a bit. I had complete confidence after written and orals for anesthesia.
Results should be out 6-8 weeks per ABA

I thought it was fair, well written test that reflects what I see in my practice on a daily basis.

What a bunch of buzz killers. Crack the champagne and start celebrating! Welcome to the club.

Today I just had 25 yo female, pregnant , HIV, currently abusing heroin seen for CRPS I and history of serontonin syndrome

If said patient were taking methadone 150mg po q4hours, which of the following schools will her future son attend?

A. Harvard
B. Princeton
C. MIT
D. Stanford
E. All of the Above

the answer is Stanford. The kid will have to stay in state to visit his dad at the nearest pen.

Today I just had 25 yo female, pregnant , HIV, currently abusing heroin seen for CRPS I and history of serontonin syndrome

If said patient were taking methadone 150mg po q4hours, which of the following schools will her future son attend?

A. Harvard
B. Princeton
C. MIT
D. Stanford
E. All of the Above

I seem to remember the following question:

Her future son attends CalTech. What specific language should he be proficient in for his Ditch Day prank?

A. C++
B. Cobol
C. Java
D. Pashtu
E. Latka

Last edited: