Service Breaks...non-International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudmurder1

Average Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize medical mission trips often get a lot of flak, and perhaps rightfully so, but what about a service break that is inside the U.S. (likely Arizona) that would give you direct experience with homeless people, uneducated people, or others in need, and involves mostly building. Granted, a trip like this would be only over the period of a break (1 week), but would this also be seen in an unfavorable light? This trip would also have a selection process for participants.

Members don't see this ad.

Any service to the disadvantaged is a merit, regardless of the title.

Just make the best of it so that it is a meaningful experience for YOU.

Medical mission trips aren't getting a lot of flak in general. Just those "tourism" types where you don't really do anything significant and just sight-see the suffering of others or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I went on three non-medical service trips in undergrad. Each either influenced my lifestyle choices or caused me to look at life a little differently. All were more worthwhile than a typical woohoo spring break! in my opinion. I didn't go on them for application padding but I've been asked about them several times at interviews. By all means, go for it! You won't regret it. If you really enjoy the experience, leading a trip is even more rewarding.

Reactions: 1 user