Service Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to line up my finanical aid package for next year and I am presently exploring service pay back programs. I would be very interesting in hearing from anyone who is currently doing the NHSC program, VA program, or armed forces program. I mean they all sound great when you hear it from the recruiter's mouth, but what are the negatives and pit falls I should be watching out for. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a DO program now and am on the Army HPSP scholarship. There are people in school on the Navy and Air Force ones as well. All of the programs are very similar with a few service-specific differences. I'll say that in general if you go with a military program you need to understand upfront that when you graduate the military "owns" you, (in almost every aspect of the word), for the term of your obligation. There are a lot of factors that enter in to whether the military programs are right for you... Whether you are married, the "leader" type, and can stand having your "chain pulled" at personally incovenient times to name a few... If you have any specific questions you can think of, go ahead and "shoot"
wink.gif
and I'll give you my .02.

Hey DO Dude!

Im considering going the Army route and I have a couple questions. 1)For surgical residencies does the Army prefer MDs over DOs or is there no preference. 2) How much control do you generally get over what residencies you get, i.e. if you match into your first choice do you get it or do get sent where you are needed.
Thanks alot.

daveyboy

Members don't see this ad :)
Daveyboy,

Check out the army medical directorate web site: http://www.armymedicine.army.mil/medcom/meded It gives statistics on residency placement. I don't believe there is preference given to either MDs or DOs. DOs traditionally enter the primary care fields in the army, but there are plenty who are also surgeons. When you apply for your first year graduate medical education(FYGME) program, you choose the top five Army Medical Centers that you want to train in. You can pick the same specialty for each one if you wish. The percentages for first choices are pretty high and if you go to the site I mentioned, they will show you the acutal numbers. If you want more specifics, drop me a line.

DO Dude:

Thanks for your offer. Could you please give me more specifics on the topic of "own". How much more owning will they secure than say the average residency program? I am married. Is that a plus or a minus? Am I a "leader"? Yes, when required to be. Why is that so important? I figured I be following more orders than leading. Is the work independent? Is that what you meant? Do you regret going into the program? How militaristic is it? I am no GI JOE. I mean, I would not go into the service otherwise, it only looks appealing from the financial aspects. How competitive are the military service programs to get into? Thanks for your input.