Services Research Emphasis in a Clinical Psych Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplenf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m starting to look at programs that have PIs that study services research as it pertains to mental health services. For example, client engagement in services, barriers to treatment, public attitudes/ knowledge of mental health issues, supporting family members of clients, clinician's attitudes regarding using new treatments, etc). One roadblock I’m experiencing is that many of these PIs that interest me seem to be in departments other than clinical psychology (Social work, policy/public health, organizational/industrial psych….) and I am pretty set on aiming for clinical psychology training.

Thought I’d post and see if any forum members have advice or even specific PIs in mind that are in clinical psych departments! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Steve Saunders at Marquette
Cara Lewis at Indiana
Cameo Borntrager at Montana

Reactions: 1 user
I’m starting to look at programs that have PIs that study services research as it pertains to mental health services. For example, client engagement in services, barriers to treatment, public attitudes/ knowledge of mental health issues, supporting family members of clients, clinician's attitudes regarding using new treatments, etc). One roadblock I’m experiencing is that many of these PIs that interest me seem to be in departments other than clinical psychology (Social work, policy/public health, organizational/industrial psych….) and I am pretty set on aiming for clinical psychology training.

Thought I’d post and see if any forum members have advice or even specific PIs in mind that are in clinical psych departments! Thanks!

I am happy to see a post about this subject area here, as it is an area where psychologists can and should be making a contribution and it is an area that has been neglected in clinical and counseling psychology program curriculums. Having these references is useful and I hope this thread can built up on the forum over time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think another way to describe this would be "program evaluation" and Mark Karver at University of South Florida does that type of work.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the suggestions! I think "program evaluation" can sometimes be more I/O or cost/benefit focused than my interests that are more at the client level, but still something I need to look into. More suggestions are welcome!...thanks everyone

Thanks for the suggestions! I think "program evaluation" can sometimes be more I/O or cost/benefit focused than my interests that are more at the client level, but still something I need to look into. More suggestions are welcome!...thanks everyone
I have always been interested in program evaluation although have never actually been able to do it. My understanding is that a good program evaluation includes effective provision of services as key outcome measures and will also take into all of the stakeholders interests with clients obviously being key stakeholders, but others in the community and within the organization want effective services since that is often a win win situation.

Last edited:
Brad Nakamura and Charles Mueller at University of Hawaii
Bruce Chorpita at UCLA

Also consider joining the dissimenation and implementation special interest group within the association of behavioral and cognitive therapies to make connections and learn more about this area of research.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has new ideas about clinical psych mentors conducting this kind of research.-- services research as it pertains to mental health services. For example, client engagement in services, barriers to treatment, public attitudes/ knowledge of mental health issues, supporting family members of clients, clinician's attitudes regarding using new treatments, etc).

Health services research is not embraced by most university psychology departments, possibly because a lot of that work is already being done in schools of social work, public health, and nursing, but also because clinical psychology in the academy often operates as though health delivery systems don't matter. You'll find plenty of people who build their careers on assessment research or even treatment outcome studies with ill defined plans for dissemination (ie, snowball's chance in hell of ever reaching patients out in the community). HSR definitely has relevance for our field, but in my experience people doing this work tend to be working in more interdisciplinary environments such as VAs, AMCs, think tank-type operations, etc. Training opportunities in HSR are probably more common at the post-doc level in those types of environments since disciplinary boundaries are not so rigid.

If you approach this work from a health disparities angle, you might be able to find some additional opportunities. Engagement, attitudes, barriers are all important to understanding disparities based on factors such as age, rurality, ethnicity, social class, etc. But as with any area of specialization, the most important thing is to really nail your fundamentals during doctoral training and get the best training you can get. You might look for opportunities to take electives outside of the department or join organizations that are HSR-oriented, but don't pass up opportunities to work with a solid mentor doing, say, clinical trials just because they don't focus much on the delivery aspect. You might be able to use your interests to your advantage. Let's say your mentor studies treatments for panic disorder and you want to find out more about what happens when you try to deliver treatment in a community-based setting. That's a jumping off point for a number of studies (some of which have already been done).

Reactions: 2 users