Services Your Customers Take For Granted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrightLight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In one typically hectic morning at work, I managed to find time to pick up a ringing phone. The customer on the other side asked, "Espanol?". I politely told her that we did not have our Spanish-speaking tech working at that time and asked her to call back in the afternoon. That somewhat pissed her off and she started to yell: "I've been waiting for 20 minutes on the phone and you're telling me there is no Espanol?!! I need someone who speaks Espanol now!".

What are some of the things that your customers take for granted?

Members don't see this ad.

In one typically hectic morning at work, I managed to find time to pick up a ringing phone. The customer on the other side asked, "Espanol?". I politely told her that we did not have our Spanish-speaking tech working at that time and asked her to call back in the afternoon. That somewhat pissed her off and she started to yell: "I've been waiting for 20 minutes on the phone and you're telling me there is no Espanol?!! I need someone who speaks Espanol now!".

What are some of the things that your customers take for granted?

Tell them to call Walgreens in Mexico. That's ridiculous. They should learn english.

In the ER - no one yells at me, but I have had several instances where they're like, "No espanol?"

Then I say, "No english?"

Tell them to call Walgreens in Mexico. That's ridiculous. They should learn english.

In the ER - no one yells at me, but I have had several instances where they're like, "No espanol?"

:love:

You are an inspiration to pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^
Note: in particular, if all pharmacists could stand up for themselves instead of giving in to every single demand, we would be in a better place professionally, eg like the ER, no one would yell at us either.

What puzzles to me was that if she could yell at me in perfectly understandable English, why must she insist on speaking to someone in espanol?

What puzzles to me was that if she could yell at me in perfectly understandable English, why must she insist on speaking to someone in espanol?

What I noticed is that these guys know like certain lines... but have no comprehension of the english language.

You mean, there are things they DON'T take for granted? :rolleyes:

Our ability to do emergency supplies. I will give a patient a 3 day supply of maintenance medications if they have had it filled regularly and on time at our pharmacy. Then because you do that, people come in asking for more. "Oh, I'm going on vacation and leaving tomorrow so I'll need 7 days worth not 3" and it's a control medication or an antibiotic. And they always pull the, "Oh but other pharmacists always do this for me!" B$%ch, you're LUCKY I'm giving you 3. I am not legally required to do so. You do not have a valid prescription. What part of that do you not understand? Now take some responsibility for yourself and don't blame me for the situation you're in. You need to learn to plan ahead. Oh and also those people that bring in bottles from another retail chain wanting me to give them an emergency supply. WTF.

Also more recently those people that have switched out their prescriptions to mail order or to a chain other than ours that's not open 24 hours but they still call us and ask a crap load of questions about their medications. Yes, I would love to spend 10 minutes discussing medications that you are having filled at another pharmacy on top of everything else I have to do.

Our ability to do emergency supplies. I will give a patient a 3 day supply of maintenance medications if they have had it filled regularly and on time at our pharmacy. Then because you do that, people come in asking for more. "Oh, I'm going on vacation and leaving tomorrow so I'll need 7 days worth not 3" and it's a control medication or an antibiotic. And they always pull the, "Oh but other pharmacists always do this for me!" B$%ch, you're LUCKY I'm giving you 3. I am not legally required to do so. You do not have a valid prescription. What part of that do you not understand? Now take some responsibility for yourself and don't blame me for the situation you're in. You need to learn to plan ahead. Oh and also those people that bring in bottles from another retail chain wanting me to give them an emergency supply. WTF.

Also more recently those people that have switched out their prescriptions to mail order or to a chain other than ours that's not open 24 hours but they still call us and ask a crap load of questions about their medications. Yes, I would love to spend 10 minutes discussing medications that you are having filled at another pharmacy on top of everything else I have to do.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

You're absolutely right. :idea:

Emergency loans are for emergencies, not vacation carry-overs. I will only loan from another chain if they transferred it out from us, and we have a record of it. If it comes from another pharmacy, call the other pharmacy.

It is often a battle of the business side versus the compassionate side:

1. And when did you get this medication (that they have questions about on the phone) from us? Oh, you got it from XYZ pharmacy? Well, why don't you give them a call? Oh, they never pick up and lines are through the store, hmmm.

2. Most of us got into pharmacy to help others (I hope) and you have a patient calling with true ADRs, etc. with questions, but they get their medication elsewhere.

Obviously, generalizing.

Right, but if you stopped wasting time arguing with patients and actually gave them a warranted three-day supply, then you'd have the time to, you know... spend those 10 minutes on the phone actually being a pharmacist.

:laugh:

tsk....tsk....tsk:eek:

You're absolutely right. :idea:

Emergency loans are for emergencies, not vacation carry-overs. I will only loan from another chain if they transferred it out from us, and we have a record of it. If it comes from another pharmacy, call the other pharmacy.
:)

Right, but if you stopped wasting time arguing with patients and actually gave them a warranted three-day supply, then you'd have the time to, you know... spend those 10 minutes on the phone actually being a pharmacist.
It was the pt who tried to engage the rph into the argument to achieve his/her goal. Rphs are slaved to death, so why did you think they would waste their precious time to argue? They couldn't hang up the phone without a valid reason.
I prefer to spend those 10 minutes on the phone to a more responsible / helpless pt.
Again, ER supply isn't warranted. It's a favor from rphs. Why do you think we have the ER or Urgent Care Clinics?

Members don't see this ad :)

??? I do give them an emergency supply of 3 days worth if it's a maintenance medicine that they got filled at our pharmacy recently. They argue because they want more. This is not a free for all. Also, sometimes when you float them the tablets they end up getting the remainder at another location so your store takes the loss.

And I do spend the 10 minutes on the phone for customers who have questions that don't fill at our pharmacy. I do it mostly because I don't want to get reported for bad customer service, but occasionally you get some old lady that is really grateful for your help. But think about it, if I saw Dr. A and called up Dr. B's office and started asking questions, do you really think Dr. B would answer my questions? No, he would tell me to call Dr. A. *sigh* I'm a retail slave and I know it.

Calling their insurance for their information. I've had people get really upset when I tell them they have to call to solve the problem, i.e. COB issue.

??? I do give them an emergency supply of 3 days worth if it's a maintenance medicine that they got filled at our pharmacy recently. They argue because they want more. This is not a free for all. Also, sometimes when you float them the tablets they end up getting the remainder at another location so your store takes the loss.

And I do spend the 10 minutes on the phone for customers who have questions that don't fill at our pharmacy. I do it mostly because I don't want to get reported for bad customer service, but occasionally you get some old lady that is really grateful for your help. But think about it, if I saw Dr. A and called up Dr. B's office and started asking questions, do you really think Dr. B would answer my questions? No, he would tell me to call Dr. A. *sigh* I'm a retail slave and I know it.

Patient centered? I think not.

We do not counsel/do phone consults on RXs from other pharmacies.

We do if we're slow enough.

I think between the insurance education and the medical but non-medication related questions, I probably burn up 20% of my time behind the counter in things that go beyond the scope of pharmacy. I feel bad for a lot of my patients though and try to make time to get them headed in the right direction as a lot of them don't even know where to start with getting help with insurance etc. OTOH, I've been fond of saying (when we're really busy) "We do MEDICATIONS back here. I can answer any question you have related to medications." in response to obscure non-medication medical questions.

We do if we're slow enough.

I think between the insurance education and the medical but non-medication related questions, I probably burn up 20% of my time behind the counter in things that go beyond the scope of pharmacy. I feel bad for a lot of my patients though and try to make time to get them headed in the right direction as a lot of them don't even know where to start with getting help with insurance etc. OTOH, I've been fond of saying (when we're really busy) "We do MEDICATIONS back here. I can answer any question you have related to medications." in response to obscure non-medication medical questions.

Isn't this the price to pay for being both the only professional degree holding type person to not charge for advice (ala lawyers or doctors) and the most accessible healthcare professional?

Seriously, though, I think this is the next thing the pharmacy profession needs to work on: freeing up pharmacists to be medical professionals.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I say this all the time. And they all would give me a dirty look. It is funny because most people think I am Mexican. All the Hispanic patients would all gravitate towards me when I am working the register or the computers. :love:

Isn't this the price to pay for being both the only professional degree holding type person to not charge for advice (ala lawyers or doctors) and the most accessible healthcare professional?

Seriously, though, I think this is the next thing the pharmacy profession needs to work on: freeing up pharmacists to be medical professionals.

It's problematic in retail imo. Our historical core function has been dispensing which has transitioned into machine automation, pharmacy technician (think further into "tech check tech") filling, mail order/central fills. So we are slowly losing a portion of our scope but expanding our clinical services which are cognitive. The problem is that we have to turn a profit providing cognitive clinical skills and be patient-centric. It doesn't mesh well with business imo.

At our pharmacy (independent), we do give 3 day emergency supplies on maintenance meds, but only for our patients. We do not counsel/do phone consults on RXs from other pharmacies.

I don't either. I tell the pt that I can't answer questions without being able to see their prescription & history....which is true, without seeing their prescription, how do I know what they actually got?

They take "getting their ER controlled scripts cancelled" for granted. :smuggrin:

It's granted that
- the script will be ready 30 s after drop off
- I have magical access to all the insurance databases and I can pull up insurance info for everyone in the family by waving my hand
- I have a list in my head of all the drugs you are currently taking
- I know the exact spelling and price of any OTC medicine you ask me about, including products not available in the US
- I am very gullible and will agree with you 100% you need your vicodin filled 20 days early
- I have "clout" with your doctor.
- When you hand me your script, my amazing brain will process it and bill insurance through telepathy and I will be able to tell your copay immediately.

Today I had a man come in with an eye bottle for his wife. He said his wife wanted me to pierce it. I told him no you can pierce it yourself. So he pierced it with a pin and walked away. Later a nurse (?) called and shouted over the phone, "What do you mean you don't pierce the eye bottle before dispensing it? What do you expect the customer to do??!" Then the patient transferred everything out.

???!!

It's granted that
- the script will be ready 30 s after drop off
- I have magical access to all the insurance databases and I can pull up insurance info for everyone in the family by waving my hand
- I have a list in my head of all the drugs you are currently taking
- I know the exact spelling and price of any OTC medicine you ask me about, including products not available in the US
- I am very gullible and will agree with you 100% you need your vicodin filled 20 days early
- I have "clout" with your doctor.
- When you hand me your script, my amazing brain will process it and bill insurance through telepathy and I will be able to tell your copay immediately.

Today I had a man come in with an eye bottle for his wife. He said his wife wanted me to pierce it. I told him no you can pierce it yourself. So he pierced it with a pin and walked away. Later a nurse (?) called and shouted over the phone, "What do you mean you don't pierce the eye bottle before dispensing it? What do you expect the customer to do??!" Then the patient transferred everything out.

???!!

Eye bottle?

???!!
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if my guess is correct, the same thing happened at my store. We switched manufacturers of timolol drops, and this new ndc had a point in the top. You had to tighten the screw top to pierce the tip of the dropper with the point. Our old ndc was just unscrew and use. This old couple didn't pierce it, and they were just squeezing the non-pierced bottle, which of course meant nothing was coming out. They were furious, and even after we showed them how to use it (we pierced it for them) they refused to take it and demanded their old brand, since they were convinced that it was defective. I don't really recall what ended up happening because it was kind of busy at the time, but I know they were not happy at all.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if my guess is correct, the same thing happened at my store. We switched manufacturers of timolol drops, and this new ndc had a point in the top. You had to tighten the screw top to pierce the tip of the dropper with the point. Our old ndc was just unscrew and use. This old couple didn't pierce it, and they were just squeezing the non-pierced bottle, which of course meant nothing was coming out. They were furious, and even after we showed them how to use it (we pierced it for them) they refused to take it and demanded their old brand, since they were convinced that it was defective. I don't really recall what ended up happening because it was kind of busy at the time, but I know they were not happy at all.

Oh THAT explains it!! Thanks. Gee why do they get so mad? And they got mad at you too. *sympathy*

You have to pierce flea medicine, too, and they sell that over-the-counter. Duh! What kind of idiocracy are we living in? :barf:

"What do you mean you don't pierce the eye bottle before dispensing it? What do you expect the customer to do??!"

Stories like that are behind all the "dumb American" jokes so popular in Europe...

The worst was always the people who wanted us to call for refills after not seeing the doc for a year and getting mad that it was denied. Sorry, I can't just give you the medicine if you're not seeing a physician. And no, it's not a scam for the doctor to make more money. It's so that he/she can monitor your progress to make sure everything is still effective.

Funny you should say that. Since 2008 there has been a huge rise in patients calling our offices when they're sick instead of coming in. Most of us don't charge for phone calls, though that's changing.

???!!

Maybe I'm still young and optimistic (though my evals say otherwise), but I don't understand the animosity that you guys get from us. I've never yelled at a pharmacist professionally (my dating life is another story), and if one of y'all called me up and told me that one of my nurses gave you crap like that I would be quite pissed off.

I love having good relationships with my local pharmacists - always willing to help me out if I need it (especially insurance stuff), and recently some of the ones I've interacted with the most have started calling if they have any patient concerns. Just last week I got a call because one of my patients, on xanax and ultram, showed up to the pharmacy "acting drunk". I appreciate being kept up to speed on pt behavior (doubly so for chronic hypolortabosis).

Maybe I'm still young and optimistic (though my evals say otherwise), but I don't understand the animosity that you guys get from us. I've never yelled at a pharmacist professionally (my dating life is another story), and if one of y'all called me up and told me that one of my nurses gave you crap like that I would be quite pissed off.

I love having good relationships with my local pharmacists - always willing to help me out if I need it (especially insurance stuff), and recently some of the ones I've interacted with the most have started calling if they have any patient concerns. Just last week I got a call because one of my patients, on xanax and ultram, showed up to the pharmacy "acting drunk". I appreciate being kept up to speed on pt behavior (doubly so for chronic hypolortabosis).

Not all medical professionals were taught the importance of an interdisciplinary team, unfortunately. Thisis beginning to change though. If people stayed focused on optimal patient care, things would be easier.

chronic hypolortabosis
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I'll definitely have to use that one in the future.

You seem to be a pretty reasonable person, just from your posts on here, so that could why you get along with your local rphs. I generally get along well with prescribers, but there are always a few who are "high and mighty" and you can just tell that they don't want to be on the phone with you to call in an rx, or answer a clarification. Thankfully those are the minority for me so far.

On the other hand, I have worked with some pharmacists who just blew my mind with the things they'd call the doctor about. If I was the prescriber, I probably would have been less than amicable with them. "Did you mean D2 or D3 50,000iu?" "Nystatin doesn't come in a 40g tube, what do you want us to dispense?" "What brand of pen needles do you want the patient to get?"

You seem to be a pretty reasonable person, just from your posts on here, so that could why you get along with your local rphs. I generally get along well with prescribers, but there are always a few who are "high and mighty" and you can just tell that they don't want to be on the phone with you to call in an rx, or answer a clarification. Thankfully those are the minority for me so far.

On the other hand, I have worked with some pharmacists who just blew my mind with the things they'd call the doctor about. If I was the prescriber, I probably would have been less than amicable with them. "Did you mean D2 or D3 50,000iu?" "Nystatin doesn't come in a 40g tube, what do you want us to dispense?" "What brand of pen needles do you want the patient to get?"
Sometimes the ER physicians get irritated with me for calling to change meds that aren't covered on Medicaid, but I feel like I have to or else the patients will go back to the ER. :rolleyes:

I'm sure y'all hate this, but I write QS on many a prescription for things other than pills. You can even circumvent my EMR as long as there's a number in front of it "1M QS"

I'm sure y'all hate this, but I write QS on many a prescription for things other than pills. You can even circumvent my EMR as long as there's a number in front of it "1M QS"
Why aren't you writing dispense: QS or 1 month? Why the need for both?

I'd take "1M QS" 100 times over "1bid, 1 month #30"

The microsecond of math that we have to do is much easier than a potential contradiction on an rx. Now if it's a cream, maybe let us know what area of the body you're treating if you QS. If it's a fingernail, they're not getting 1lb of ointment, but if it's their entire chest, then they might.

I'd take "1M QS" 100 times over "1bid, 1 month #30"

The microsecond of math that we have to do is much easier than a potential contradiction on an rx. Now if it's a cream, maybe let us know what area of the body you're treating if you QS. If it's a fingernail, they're not getting 1lb of ointment, but if it's their entire chest, then they might.

Our local docs don't bother to fix their escribing software. We get contradictions all the time. We'll call and they'll say, "oh, MD meant this, it's just the software" Zpak, take 1 by mouth daily, or everything comes out "30 day supply." Celebrex 100mg #30, take 1 bid 30 day supply. Keflex 500mg #28, 1 QID for 7 days 30 day supply
:shrug:

I don't find MDs to be rude when you call to clarify. It's when you save their asses that they're rude.

Examples:

Valium 5 mg tab; 5t q4-6h prn for a 17 year old, 50 kg girl.
Changes in dosage for infants on furosemide/sildenafil/etc to halve or quarter the dose: call to confirm, "Oh let me change that to (original dose)." I've had doctors HANG UP ON ME after a conversation exactly like this one. Not only do they refuse to say, "hey thanks, change it to the original" they act like they changed it on purpose, are changing it BACK on purpose to "humor me" and then act like I'm a horrible person for wasting their precious time.

The worst is when they get upset when we follow the law: "What do you mean you won't take a phone Rx for morphine? I'm not in the hospital today! My resident refused to write it because she hasn't seen the patient! You want me to come all the way in??" Frankly, I don't care what the f*** you do as long as it doesn't involve my license in jeopardy.

That sucks about calling on stupid ****. I know about ******ed audits, but all you gotta do is "MD okayed 60 gm tube, time/date".

:thumbup: I am on good terms with every doctor in my zip code.

Most of the bull**** usually comes from miscommunication with the office staff or pharmacy staff. I have seen way too many under paid and trained technicians giving out the wrong information to customers or doctors office that leads to problems.

I wonder how many of us have to tell our technicians to double check that we are calling the correct doctors office for refill requests or prior authoriation instead of automatically assuming that the doctors office isnt responding to us because they are "lazy".