Serving under-served communities as a member of the majority?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EEtoPre-Med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to serve under-served communities. This includes working to rectify racial and economic inequalities in health care as a physician. Yet I come from a wealthier white community. Obviously I can understand the notion that "you are more likely to treat people like you" but if I have a true desire to serve these communities, would it be helpful? Is the only barrier to treating across racial and economic lines one of desire on the part of the provider? Less compensation is not important. I want to serve in that way but don't want to seem like I view myself as a "savior". Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most physicians who serve communities in need are from well-represented groups. Their contributions are essential.
However, since every applicant says they want to serve the poor, you would need to distinguish yourself by actions.

Reactions: 10 users
Stop guilt tripping yourself. A provider is a provider. Do you see any minority doctors giving wealthier white community doctors **** for simply being that way?

Be yourself, work hard, and be humble. Even if they have pre-misconceptions about where you come from, they'll learn to respect your character and what you bring to the table.

I would like to serve under-served communities. This includes working to rectify racial and economic inequalities in health care as a physician. Yet I come from a wealthier white community. Obviously I can understand the notion that "you are more likely to treat people like you" but if I have a true desire to serve these communities, would it be helpful? Is the only barrier to treating across racial and economic lines one of desire on the part of the provider? Less compensation is not important. I want to serve in that way but don't want to seem like I view myself as a "savior". Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most physicians who serve communities in need are from well-represented groups. Their contributions are essential.
However, since every applicant says they want to serve the poor, you would need to distinguish yourself by actions.
This.
I'm sure you guys/gals get sick of reading this.

Points many deceitful pre-meds think in attempt to "gain an advantage":
1) Say you want to work in a rural and underserved area
2) Say you'll stay in the area after graduation/residency
3) Say you're interested in primary care

If you truly want to work in a rural/underserved area, start doing so as a pre-medical student. Really, any clinical experience will do. It doesn't have to be paid or rural. Even in the cities, you'll always find an underserved population.

For areas/regions:
https://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/tools/analyzers/muafind.aspx

I work as a scribe in a clinic that serves underserved patients and there is a good mix of providers from different socioeconomic backgrounds. As long as you're competent these clinics are likely to be happy to have you and will not care about where you grew up.

Last edited:

Thank you!

Show, don't Tell.
Your actions will speak for you --

Reactions: 2 users
The white savior complex is harmful, very true, but oftentimes it takes people of some means to be able to make the changes that are necessary in these communities. Your place of privilege as a physician will provide that. As long as you can be an ally to these communities, helping to build them up and provide support without taking away their voice/space/speaking for them, then I think it's perfectly reasonable that someone from a non POC or low SES background can serve those very demographics.

Also, as everyone has mentioned, you need to SHOW this instead of saying it. You need to show altruism, especially with communities that are less "desirable" for pre-meds to work with. Best of luck!

I don't really understand what you're asking...of course you can serve those communities if you want to.

I come from a wealthy background (physician parent) but I have a big interest in underserved individuals. I wrote about this in my apps but also have multiple experiences dealing with these populations.

If you just write "my interests are x, y, z" with no actions to backup those words then it's pointless.

Some 10-15% of the classes at Howard, Meharry and Morehouse are Asian, and 5% are white. How do you think that they got into those schools?????

Hint: it wasn't on stats alone.

So go for it!!!! Walk the walk, don't merely talk the talk.

2017_class_photo.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I think the fact that you actively recognize your privilege and desires is good. I agree with others that actions tend to talk better than words. So volunteering in underserved populations while actively opening yourself up to conversations on this topic will prevent you from taking on the savior complex. I struggle with this same dilemma especially when it comes to volunteering abroad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat as you, OP. Like everyone else said, go out and get experience. One of my biggest regrets was not doing this throughout college because I felt too guilty to do so as a white person, and I didn't want to seem like I was doing it for a piece of paper.

Go go go!

Whoa. Good on you, OP.
Keep it going and show them that you care about underserved community!
I grew up in low-income neighborhood and such. Anywhere I volunteer will be for low-income families. But you are actively seeking out to reach for underserved community. Good on you, and proud of you!

Last edited:
Didn't think so many thought so highly about themselves that others care that they come from "wealthier" communities.

Didn't think so many thought so highly about themselves that others care that they come from "wealthier" communities.
You've missed the point.

It's more of a guilt and an uneasiness, as if you are stepping on their toes. For instance, if you, as someone from the majority, speak up strongly or lead a social movement/participate greatly in one, you are just continuing the tradition of letting your own majority voice drown out the minority voice- whether you mean to or not. It is difficult and guilt-inducing to find a balance between being an advocate and participating vs overstepping your cultural boundaries.

Also, there are many communities who have a strong distaste for those in the majority (whichever minority/majority, take your pick), so it can feel like you are doing something wrong when they are incredibly rude/not inclusive.

You learn to get over it though, if you really care.

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts on this. Yes I think that the continual theme here seems to be, yes it's great to serve communities from different backgrounds than your own. But just go do it, don't publicize it and don't expect to be nominated for "person of the year". Do it because you care. That's helpful.

You've missed the point...

Lol. Not sure where you guys are where people feel like you are "stepping on their toes."

The clinics and county hospitals I was assigned to are in some sketchy areas, and nothing but gratitude is expressed. That being said, as a volunteer when I was a pre-med, same sentiments as previous.

Now of course, if you roll in with a Mercedes, on your I-phone when talking to patients, then I would expect such a reaction.

Lol. Not sure where you guys are where people feel like you are "stepping on their toes."

The clinics and county hospitals I was assigned to are in some sketchy areas, and nothing but gratitude is expressed. That being said, as a volunteer when I was a pre-med, same sentiments as previous.

Now of course, if you roll in with a Mercedes, on your I-phone when talking to patients, then I would expect such a reaction.
"sketchy" is such a bad description BTW.

The poor white people I worked with were the most rude at first, then grateful over time.
The more black-than-white community I currently volunteer with has always been grateful. I thought that would be reversed, but...

"sketchy" is such a bad description BTW...The more black-than-white community

Perhaps, but as in real life, and especially online, I tend to call a spade a spade, and won't skirt around the core of the question, which is the reaction of people towards those from a wealthy community by those in a ghetto/urban/sketchy/less-wealthy/more black then white/crime ridden/hood-lyfe community.

For me, I felt no attitude towards me at all, from the homeless to the freshly out of prison patients.